what is yours scared of?

rainer

Visit site
I've found out so far that charlie is scared of wheelie bins on the move,crow bangers and tractors with their bucket in the air :p
He is fine with other traffic even tractors without the bucket, lol dogs barking at him, birds flying out of trees etc which I flinch at+he doesn't bat an eyelid :D
He's very good out hacking but if given the choice will not walk in a puddle! :p lol
What are your horses/ponies scared of?

Natz88

Visit site
My mums cob to be honest isn't really scared of anything apart from mud when he is ridden he will avoid it as much as he can & if it means leaving you hanging in a tree then so be it lol

My 5yr old has a fear of cows & on one lane we ride along is a troph he seems to have a fear off :rolleyes:

My haffy has a fear of tractors/lorries out hacking he is fine if he can stand as it passes us, but doesn't like to pass it if it's moving while he is & he gets a little tense when a diesel veichle is hovering behind him although he has got loads better from when I first got him. Oh & he has a fear of drains as apparently a big horse eating monster lives in them :p

This is probs what my boys do when they go out together haha

ridingout_zps6f5f358c.jpg

Last edited:

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Honeys 9 months old and the bravest thing ever, she will drink out of the hosepipe my others think its a killer snake. Cars don't bother her, the huge building rubble bags we use to haul straw she doesn't bat an eyelid even when I empty it in the stable with her.
The one thing Honey is absolutely petrified of is the way another filly snorts!!!! Yes if this particular filly breathes the wrong way Honey will quite literally try to climb out of the field we have had to separate them because of this. She doesn't mind any other horse snorting, chickens clucking or pigs snorting she even sleeps with the cat. But a 13hh pony snorts and she has a break down lol

SNORKEY

Visit site
Mines scared of the hedge which has a footpath behind it, but only when Im schooling him in the field, all the rest of the time he's out there grazing next to it he doesn't care about it!
In fact a lot of things become scary once I'm on him, I was hoping he'd change after 10yrs but I've given up hope now!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Everything!!!

Fillers, wheelie bins, bits of mud on the road, different coloured grass, random coats hanging on the school fence, cows & miniature horses are all going to eat him!

Yet there is a pond at our yard and I walked him right through the middle of it one summer and he was fine with it & loves the hanging likit holder even if it bops him on the nose!

One of the best quotes I saw: "horses are only scared of 2 things: those that move and those that don't!"

rainer

Visit site
Aww bless honey that's sweet x
That reminds me charlie has been taking a great interest in all the lambs about recently! Don't think he's scared tho just looks a bit surprised lol :p

Mike007

Visit site
Bob the nota cob is convinced that a flock of pigeons can strip a horse to the bone in under a minute. I have tried to explain that pirhanas and pigeons arnt quite the same.Its probably best however to leave the matter as he will then be afraid of water.Vets with needles ,and cats follow a close second.This is however the horse who went to watch the Olympic mens cycle race ,surrounded by thousands of people ,cars with sirens ,bikes ,tannoys.He absolutely loved every minute of it.

pinklilly

Visit site
Cows! Though he has to walk past the cowshed twice a day to get in and out of the field, he's a bit like, you go first I'll walk on the outside so they get you first. And hosepipes, work of the devil! Walked happily through a ford first time I hacked him alone, and a flooded one at that then proceeded to drag me through it when I was walking out in hand so it's not the water. I'm sure he will have seen a hosepipe in training... Not certain about children either.

Undecided

Visit site
Life in general :D gateways, road signs, sheep, sheep feeders (we live in Wales so hacking is very interesting to say the least), haylage feeders, tractors, cars and trailers no matter what size, jumps, fillers, anything he can hear but not see and he goes up in a flap. He's highly strung so flinches or sidesteps at everything and if I try and push him past he just rears and rears until I get off an lead or another horse walks past us :)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The current Appy does not care a jot about any traffic, but hates different coloured tarmac, flowers that were not in bloom the last time she passed them, drains with running water in them and Herdwick sheep (she doesn't mind 'normal' sheep)
I forgot she is also frightened of horses pulling any sort of vehicle, except for her friend the mini Shetland and his cart :D

Last edited:

sandi_84

Visit site
Vets that come attached to needles.
He won't walk through a puddle he'd rather cat leap it :rolleyes:
The orange plastic barriers you get near roadworks - did a nice shoulder in though ;)
And after a fly flew up his nose (que snorting and huffing and shaking his head to dislodge it) he spooked at flies for about a week ha ha! :D
Oh and old ladies with walking sticks! Think it's the stick not the old ladies that frighten him but who knows ;)

AmiRobertson

Visit site
Mine thinks that logs are scary monsters (great for when we want to do xc) the wooden blocks that you have to walk over when coming off of some bridle paths also deserve spinning and snorting and if a leaf moves funny in the road! however road works, motor bikes, trees being cut down by chain saws and barking dogs don't even get a flinch!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I would have have said nothing much until the day a helium balloon landed in their field.
Witnesses said that the filly picked it up and ran after my two bombproof horses. She was mightily impressed with herself when she realised that by holding the magic balloon she had supreme power and could torment her olders and betters by making them run away.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Virtually nothing, although she was scared of everything as a youngster. Only thing she doesn't like is a particular spot we sometimes hack past, although for the life of me can't imagine what. So I'm inclined to trust her on the fact there's something wierd, as she just doesn't do scared. She doesn't spook, but snorts & needs someone confident to talk her past it. Whereas anything else she couldn't give a stuff regardless of whether the rider/handler is confident.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Nothing, (she is absolutely bombproof, we can pass tractors moving ring feeders, wind-turbines being delivered with no problem)
EXCEPT
pegs on an empty washing-line which hide behind the hedge and *rattle* in VERY threatening manner.

[100323]

Visit site
On bonfire night we Had fireworks over head and we were being bombarded with debris, and our Mini Shetland did not bat an eyelid. But when a hedgehog set up home in his shelter he was a jibbering wreck.
The New Forest did not mind the hedgehog but was in complete meltdown at the fireworks.

Last edited:

lhotse

Visit site
Mine doesn't like cement lorries, goats and purple flowers. The first two I kinda get, but the third!! Flowers!!

Bertolie

Visit site
Anything with feathers...and if it has feathers and moves that's even worse.....and if it has feathers, moves and makes a noise its the end of the world! All the local birds know he hates them and lie in wait for him!

TandD

Visit site
anything to do with water e.g. wash off, bath, puddle, stream, ford, river, rain etc etc....unless they are drinking it! unless its in a black bucket...at which point they wont drink it......cant see the bottom of a black bucket...so very scary!

also those short posts or stones people put outside their houses to stop people parking on their grass......... we look rediculous! spook.....walk a few strides...spook....walk a few strides....... very terrifing