What jobs fit around horses?

scats

Visit site
Was a teacher, now a self employed dog groomer. I work more now than I’ve ever worked in my life and do 6 days most weeks. My diary tends to fill 6 weeks in advance so I have to be good at pre-planning things.
Being self employed is great, but if I don’t work, I don’t earn. So to take a day off, i have to work extra on other days to make up for it.

foxy1

Visit site
You can get student finance for a second degree if it's certain healthcare degrees, if that is something you would like to do:
Nursing , Midwifery and Allied Health professionals eg. Occupational Therapy, Physio, Radiography and a few others....
My friend is a Diagnostic Radiographer and mostly works flexible bank shifts, she regularly competes two horses.

Birker2020

Visit site
Document Controller/Site Admin on construction sites. Can honestly say I'd never want to do anything else, I love working with mostly men (no back stabbing bit*chy women lol) and I love the energy of the site and the laid back busyness of the job. Pays around 35K so decent money.

I'm lucky in the fact that when you do site admin they tend to want you early in the morning as they tend to do inductions from 7.30 or 8am in order to get the lads on site quickly. So if you are a site admin that is happy to do the whole induction process it saves them money and resources instead of getting one of the site managers to do it. If it were up to me where I work at the moment I'd be more than happy to go in at six am and get done by 2pm!

As it is I do 7.30am - 3.30pm, thirty mins lunch. I am also lucky that even with document control there are few document controllers so I more or less demand my hours. I'm always happy to have 30 mins lunch instead of an hour to make my day shorter.

The upside of my hours, I can be at the gym by 5pm on days when I don't ride. The downside of my hours (when I had a horse to ride) were if I don't want to ride one of the week evenings in the Summer and needed to turn my horse out, then I often have no one to turn out with because everyone is riding after work (having done normal 9am - 5pm hours). Luckily Lari was happy to go out on his own for an hour or two before company next door paddock, but that's the exception to the rule and not many horses would be happy with that arrangement. Bailey would literally have died on the spot, thinking he would be fodder for lions.

And also if I did want to go for a hack when I owned Bailey, it was never advisable because the rush hour was literally just starting and I didn't always risk it, even going off the 40mph road into country lanes could be problematic when they were used as rat runs.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm in the civil service and agree with everyone that working flexi is a god send with horses. I work different hours on different days in winter depending on whether I'm putting the horses out or bringing them in and I work full time hours in 4 days in summer. As long as my work gets done, it doesn't matter when or where I do it. Since Covid, I work from home most of the time - I go into the office once a week but that's my choice. I've got people in my team I've never met in the flesh! - which makes popping up for a vet or farrier appointment doable - I've even taken my laptop to the yard and tethered to my mobile to work while I'm waiting for them to arrive.

However, flexi isn't unique to the Civil Service. If you enjoy your job could you ask your employer about working flexible hours? How much of your work actually requires you to be in the office during office hours? Would it matter if you did some of it from home? Would there even eb times when you working early or late would be a help to your employer (e.g. do you work with other countries?) Even starting at 10 and finishing at 6 could give you time to ride in the morning (I think this is a better option in winter otherwise you're always rushing for the light) or starting at 7 and finishing at 3? Build a case and present it to your employer.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Civil service is great. I start at 7:30am and finish at 3:30/4pm as that’s my choice but will work later in winter to ride etc. Use flexi time for horse appointments or my lunch hour. Work at home 2 days a week. I often use flexi for leaving early to go off and have lessons. It’s probably the best job I have had round horses and had a fair few.

Second that! In winter I leave early to ride before dark and in summer I tend to ride in the mornings, so start and finish late.

Anna Clara

Visit site
I work for a global marketing team so fully remote and flexible as people are online at different times depending on where in the world they are. If you can get yourself into a big organisation it can then be possible to move sideways/find different areas of the business you enjoy. Salary ranges in the mid levels of the team (some experience) seem to be about 50 to 70k.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
I'm in the civil service and agree with everyone that working flexi is a god send with horses. I work different hours on different days in winter depending on whether I'm putting the horses out or bringing them in and I work full time hours in 4 days in summer. As long as my work gets done, it doesn't matter when or where I do it. Since Covid, I work from home most of the time - I go into the office once a week but that's my choice. I've got people in my team I've never met in the flesh! - which makes popping up for a vet or farrier appointment doable - I've even taken my laptop to the yard and tethered to my mobile to work while I'm waiting for them to arrive.

However, flexi isn't unique to the Civil Service. If you enjoy your job could you ask your employer about working flexible hours? How much of your work actually requires you to be in the office during office hours? Would it matter if you did some of it from home? Would there even eb times when you working early or late would be a help to your employer (e.g. do you work with other countries?) Even starting at 10 and finishing at 6 could give you time to ride in the morning (I think this is a better option in winter otherwise you're always rushing for the light) or starting at 7 and finishing at 3? Build a case and present it to your employer.
I love that someone else in the CS works from the yard, my colleagues call it my satellite office. I’ve got WiFi there for my stable camera so just use that and it’s often better than my home WiFi, but the flexibility allows me to be there for my horse when I need to be and I get so much work done

mariew

Visit site
What jobs do people have around horses?

Currently I work in an office, it’s nice dry i work 8.30-4.30 however I am not the biggest fan of the sales aspect. I also miss being outside.

I have a BSc in biological sciences and previous experience working in a veterinary lab but the pay in this was very poor. I used to be head girl on a yard but was on about £3 an hour.

I’m trying to understand what jobs people do around horses which suits hours wise and pay wise. :)
Tbh if you don't have other commitments those are not bad working hours. I used to be on the yard 6.30, done by 7 and back to London commute. Then go to stables and ride in evening after work ca 8-10pm Had help to bring in and holiday cover but that was about it.

Lob in a family, especially children and it gets really tricky.

Horses are generally a balance between affording them (i.e. decent job) and having time. If you are young my advice would probably be to go for a decent career, work hard/smart and maybe compromise on hanging out at the stables for hours on end.

It depends on what you want really. Tutoring sounds great - well paid and you chose your hours.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Insurance? Can make what you want out of it really and most roles offer flexi working / condensed hours option. Lots of benefits, annual leave and healthcare + pension etc.

If you want to go corporate which is generally where the money is at you’ll need additional qualifications.