What kind of ponies?

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a project for next year, as I've been horseless since march when my loan pony went back and haven't had the funds for another. I've now got enough for a cheapy/can afford to pay livery again, so thinking maybe of a project to sell on? And Ideally make a bit of profit even if it's a very small amount! I've always wanted to do it but always had another and didn't fancy running 2 incase I couldn't sell and was stuck with one! I've also always been a bit nervous of something going wrong or mucking it up, but I want to bite the bullet and do it! I'm thinking of buying in feb time so that I could aim to sell by July/August, would that be enough time for a project? Ideally I want something I wouldn't mind paying for if I had to keep it. Im quite short and lightweight so don't want to over horse myself by getting something young and also too big for me.
I've been having a look through adverts even though it's not for a while yet, but I'm missing having my own! I haven't seen anything that I thought was particularly nice though, so is the best thing to do to keep trawling through the free ad websites until something nice pops up?
What height/type of ponies would you say is most sought after? I'd be looking at getting something that's maybe just backed or been backed and turned away to bring into work and get it out to some shows, so preferably would be no younger than 4/5.

Thanks!

Lolo

Visit site
Nice solid (either coloured or dun if you can!) connie/ new forest type. Solid without being cobby. No world-beaters, but something safe, that will pop round a 2'9 course with minimal direction and get a solid 65% in prelim in 13.2hh or the same but 3' and novice dressage for a 14.2hh. Essentially, a proper PC pony. Safe and nice looking ponies will sell so much quicker and for more than their quirky if talented counterparts IME!

Gracie21

Visit site
Be very careful. It's very easy to make a plan but really you'd probably be selling to a saturated market and you might not even get that far if you run into problems along the way or get attached. By the time you've paid to care for it I'm not sure you'd make an profit, but you would have the satisfaction of selling it for more than you bought it for!

Ponies are usually sold as childs ponies, are you able to get it the relevant experience (such as PC, hunting etc) and will it ever be ridden by a child to prove it's a good kids pony?

If I were you, I'd get a long term project, so that there is no pressure. Maybe a 4/5/6 yr old that you can have some fun on. Keep it for a year or two, get it out and about, don't pressure yourself or the pony and just see how it goes :)

ETA: didn't mean to sound so negative, sorry! If you are set on getting something, you want a nice all round PC pony that will pop 2'9 courses, do a decent test and safe to hack... no quirks, anyone's ride. Coloureds always sell well :)

Last edited:

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback

I'm 15, so count as a child really, there are also a number of younger kids on the yard that I'm sure would be very pleased to have the ride of something.
We live near our local hunt kennels to huntings a definite possibility, pc not so much but would be something for me to have fun on with unaff competitions so I wouldn't could competing as 'expenses' towards the pony. Im thinking more of the selling price as profit, my parents would be covering livery with whatever horse I have and I would be covering other costs (with help if I need it), and hopefully selling at a higher price so that I can either go on to buy another project or a more experienced horse or just have a bit more money in the bank.
Im just trying to think about whats the most sensible way to go about it at the moment to be honest! I think Im just going to keep my eye out for a nice well priced one and make sure I get the right one.

be positive

Visit site
Nice solid (either coloured or dun if you can!) connie/ new forest type. Solid without being cobby. No world-beaters, but something safe, that will pop round a 2'9 course with minimal direction and get a solid 65% in prelim in 13.2hh or the same but 3' and novice dressage for a 14.2hh. Essentially, a proper PC pony. Safe and nice looking ponies will sell so much quicker and for more than their quirky if talented counterparts IME!

This is good advice just remember your end market do as much with the pony as you can keeping in mind it is most likely to go on to a child, safe, straightforward and forgiving will be virtues most in demand, with a good allround education the right pony will sell on.

SO1

Visit site
I bought my new forest over 5 years ago from someone similar to you and a similar age. He was her first project pony and they bought him in January as just backed and I bought him 8 months later at the end of August. I was the 2nd person to view him and he was 5. They got him hacking out and to a few local shows and did pony club camp with him. I doubt they made much money when you consider the cost of livery but I paid £3150 for him, however he is very well bred and had done very well in hand at the breed show as a youngster.

I am actually an adult and my pony is 13.3ish. However he is a registered new forest and therefore as an adult I can compete him in affilated M&M classes which was a big draw for me at the time even though I do mainly dressage and show jumping now. Adults can also show coloureds affilated too. So a registered native or a coloured will open up the adult and children market to you. Ponies are not just for children!

Lolo

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback

I'm 15, so count as a child really, there are also a number of younger kids on the yard that I'm sure would be very pleased to have the ride of something.
We live near our local hunt kennels to huntings a definite possibility, pc not so much but would be something for me to have fun on with unaff competitions so I wouldn't could competing as 'expenses' towards the pony. Im thinking more of the selling price as profit, my parents would be covering livery with whatever horse I have and I would be covering other costs (with help if I need it), and hopefully selling at a higher price so that I can either go on to buy another project or a more experienced horse or just have a bit more money in the bank.
Im just trying to think about whats the most sensible way to go about it at the moment to be honest! I think Im just going to keep my eye out for a nice well priced one and make sure I get the right one.

PC is your biggest market and you're shooting yourself in the foot if you can't say the pony has been to rallies and has behaved well IMO. If you buy now, I'd be looking at hunting this winter and doing winter dressage/ SJ (trailblazers, Dengie PC stuff) and then hunter trials in the spring, and selling in about March... You could easily turn a £800 pony into a £2.5k one if you get decent results and it hunts well.

Age wise, I'd aim at 7/8, and go for geldings if you can.

~ Clear Light ~

Visit site
Consider the drawbacks first:

- the market is pretty flooded and likely to be next year too.
- its not that easy to find a decent cheap pony. When I was looking for a project pony earlier in the year people didn't want to drop their prices for very average ponies, and I ended up buying abroad.
- will you seriously make a profit? If not, how much does it bother you?
- you will probably get attached...
- just because you're training a pony doesn't necessarily make things easier, you may find your time scale is not long enough to get where you want to be.

I think full up 14.2hh ponies are the safest best. Ponies are versatile as they fit into several different markets. Nice natured, all round ponies are always going to be popular for kids but having something extra to stand out, like an unusual colour, always helps. Then there are the competitive niche markets. I'm aiming at the dressage pony market as I feel there aren't enough properly schooled ponies out there, and the ones that are go for 5 figure sums. And of course there are adults who might want to do a bit of everything from hacking to RC.

joeanne

Visit site
In fairness Clear Light the market is flooded with less than desirable ponies.
The ones that are naughty, badly put together, come off the moors....
GOOD ponies, that hunt, do PC and the like are highly sought after, and if OP can get one to that standard she will sell the pony 10 times over.

zoelouisem

Visit site
This year I've sold 2 safe pc ponies my daughters outgrown pony and a friends pony one 12h and another 13h neither superstars in the competitive way but both super safe and fun. And both had good pc record. One for £4000 he was the first ridden and £3000 for the other. There is always a market for good pc ponies so I think that is the way forward. Being 15 you can take them yourself !!!

Dubsie

Visit site
The other advantage if you can take the pony to pony club is that there are always kids outgrowing their current mount, and looking for something bigger. If you happen to have that kind of pony then selling it won't be difficult. It's no coincidence that the 14-14.2 ponies that can jump well, turn their hand to dressage, and go XC safely are never on the market - they exchange hands without being advertised.

Dry Rot

Visit site
As has been said. I get endless inquiries for child safe riding ponies (also plodders for adults who have lost their nerve) while it took ages to sell one at a considerable loss which needed finishing as I could not get a rider.

The breaking is not such a problem, taking on a slightly green pony and turning it into a reliable and consistent performer, at any level, takes time. Fun for a younger amateur, expensive for a professional. I think you could do very nicely if you choose carefully and know what you are doing.

millikins

Visit site
Good luck, I think you could do it. As others suggested it's worth joining Pony Club, whilst a lot of their competitions are open their training and rallies are for members, but you would also get insurance in the price. You don't say where you are but there's always lots of very nice, registered New Forests on NFED, the unbroken ones don't fetch much money.