What kind of Transport shouls i use?

kitofkat19

Visit site
Hey everyone, im looking to get my first equine but my ideal yard is quite a bit away.

Im currently learning to drive but I was thinking of different kinds of transport i could use in the meantime as ive found a senior pony that im quite interested in

• Bus - 1 hr between the buses, and it an hour journey and bus fares are £8.40 for 24hr ticket
  • Motorbike - 25mins and cheaper then a car but most expensive out of the 3
  • Electric bike - 1hr journey

If I needed to get larger items to and from the yard eg. Saddle, a torn up rug etc. I was thinking about asking my parents or my friend for help when they are free. Im thinking the motorbike or bike may be the best options as I don't have to wait on the bus if there was an emergency.

Please be thoughtful with your replies has this did take me a lot of guts to post as its been dwelling on my mind quite a lot recently

TPO

Visit site
If you are set on being at that particular yard I'd say wait until you can drive and have a car (& learn to budget that expense) before committing to a horse.

Being an hour away by bus or bike isn't great if there is an emergency. Also things like Sunday service for buses and other motorists for cycling. Bad weather would make your journeys a bit of a nightmare on a push bike and extreme weather (beast from the east!) would stop buses. Also depends how thick skinned you are travelling on public transport on the way home reeking of eau de stable!

The motorbike sounds like the best option to get you there but isn't much use for transporting anything as you've said. But also wouldn't the money for a motorbike be best saved for putting towards a car? I'm assuming that's the end goal given that you're currently taking lessons.

If you're already taking lessons it shouldn't take that many to get you test ready and you've got a horse as motivation.

If you're really keen to have a horse now I'd look for yards closer to home.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I doubt if a moped would be more expensive than the bus. I used a 50 or 80cc bike with a big top box for my first few years of horse owning, it was quick in traffic and cheap. If you get a 2 seater a saddle can ride behind you. You can hack in the high vis you'll need, as well.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My sister and I did many years on motorbikes, Honda C90 was my last. I had a rack on the back and big panniers. I could strap buckets of feed to the rack and or a saddle. Regularly did that and sometimes with a passenger as well. It wasn't unknown for us to strap a bale of hay across the back. Amazing what you can carry with a bit of ingenuity. I rode a bike for 19 yrs, it was my transport to work as well and I could get through snowy conditions when cars were getting stuck.

AFB

Visit site
What about this yard makes it ideal - can you compromise for a while until you can drive and find somewhere closer?

If it was full livery I think maybe, but I wouldn't even consider it for DIY - you are totally stuck in an emergency, would spend up to 4 hours commuting to go twice a day which assuming you have to go to work just isn't practical and if we get some decent snow you're pretty much stranded.

kitofkat19

Visit site
What about this yard makes it ideal - can you compromise for a while until you can drive and find somewhere closer?

If it was full livery I think maybe, but I wouldn't even consider it for DIY - you are totally stuck in an emergency, would spend up to 4 hours commuting to go twice a day which assuming you have to go to work just isn't practical and if we get some decent snow you're pretty much stranded.

Its the only yard that isn't full livery as ideally I want a DIY livery all the other yards closer to me are full livery only

smolmaus

Visit site
I would be tempted to put the motorbike money into more driving lessons or an intensive driving course to get your license asap tbh. If this senior horse finds a home in the meantime there will be others when you are in a better situation. £8.40 bus fare a day for 6 months is £1500 which is enough for a cheap runabout car.

I had this exact conversation with myself before I learned to drive (at 29, very late starter) so absolutely no judgement from me, but it just wasn't feasible, especially if there was an emergency. And that was with me considering full livery; doing DIY with an hours journey either side isn't setting yourself up for success. Even if it's doable, you'll be miserable and stressed and that isn't how you want your experience with your first horse to be.

[153312]

Visit site
Motorbike for sure but . Electric bikes are really heavy and shit for carrying things, motorbikes you can get a surprising amount of stuff in. I passed one with a sidecar the other day too....think of all the tack you could put in one of those :D

maya2008

Visit site
Moped. All round cheaper than a car - to run, insure, purchase, whole thing! Also probably cheaper than the bus day to day.