What Length Girth Does your 14hh-ish Pony Take?

Orca

Visit site
I bought a 50" for Orca, thinking that for a heavyweight 14 -14.2" cob, this would be about right. It barely touches the first girth strap hole each side - and this is *after* a 5" reduction in her girth since she came to me! So, she will be in a 56" girth.

I'd be interested to know what length your 14hh- ish ponies take? Idle Q, for no real reason other than finding it amusing to have the shortest, yet girthiest hoss on the yard :D

Jo1987

Visit site
I find it depends on the saddle, but my retired 14hh (just!) used to have a 36", my 15hh heavy cob is in a 52", but he's been in 48-54" depending on the saddle.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Totally depends on the saddle as tree width and girth strap length will both determine the length required. Then of course the condition of the horse or pony :)
14.2 Dales in a 52" with the gp saddle and 46" with the WHP saddle.

pennandh

Visit site
My side-saddle has a 46" girth (tiny bit stretched, tbh, so it's more like 47" nowadays) and a 46" balance strap, and that girthing arrangement has worked well on both Mr H (who's only 13.1hh but Highlands are chunky) and a borrowed 14.2hh(ish) Welsh D.

Orca

Visit site
It is bound to depend somewhat on saddle and condition, I know. This is very much idle interest :)

She's in a Thorowgood Cob GP for breaking - I'm afraid I can't compare her girth length in other saddles because no other I have to hand will fit her breadth :D. Her condition is coming right for her shape and is nearing correct - she's been on a controlled diet since coming to me. She wears a lunging roller many inches longer than a 16.2+hh Belgian warmblood at the yard, so I'm aware that she has a big barrel for her height - but probably right for her type :)

tankgirl1

Visit site
14hh cob mare, not the chunkiest monkey out there, but in an XW saddle takes a 44" on 5th hole either side. Tried downgrading to a 42" and couldn't do it up :/

SuperH

Visit site
Mine are both in a 42". They are a very different shape so it must be differences in saddle that makes them take the same length girth.

R_Owen

Visit site
I think it depends on the saddle and the shape of the horse/pony. My 16hh warmblood is in a 46 inch girth, but so is my sisters 13hh welsh sec c. I will admit we have only just bought the sec c, he's overweight and the saddle isn't a great fit. Saddle fitter is booked for next week.