What level to do/when to move up?

lizzie87

Visit site
i currently compete my mare at elementary dressage, been doing that for last year, and from sept she has had time off due to being ill for 6 months. She went out for the first time since then a couple of weeks ago and is back up to full fitness (has been for a while). She didnt go amazingly but was ok got a 2nd with 64% (she had won before she was ill at 70%). I am lookin to enter her now for the unaffiliated at hickstead in a couple of weeks...and do i try the ele and one medium or go for 2 ele's? the judge last w.e was one that judges at hickstead, so good standard.
When do you decide its time to move up? The medium doesnt look too hard 71, and i think the only trouble we may have is (well med trot is never that good but will get 6, 7 on a good day) with the half pass angle not being super consistent out on one rein. should i go for it or leave it for another week?

Thanks

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Go for it, and the end of the day the worse that can happen is you get a lower percentage!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

I’m doing mine and Bodey’s (the coloured in my sig) first Novice on the weekend, and have already been out and bought the Elementary, even though I think that is very wishful thinking.
blush.gif

And don't forget the Comp report!!!
grin.gif

Sarahgema

Visit site
I was told to start moving up when i was getting 70% - go for it - good luck - at least you know that if your scores not that good to drop back to elementary.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Go. Do. Is meant to be fun. Unless you're planning on selling ned and want wins to help price, etc., then do something that you might not win at.

I'm in one of those moods, can you tell?
wink.gif
. Go. Stretch yourself a little and see how it goes in competition.

This is of course based on your ned's level of fitness, etc. to attempt the test
wink.gif
cool.gif

lizzie87

Visit site
seh will never ever be sold!!!! the thing is with the judging at those sort of venues, and the higher level of competition she has to be lucky to get 70% she is only a welsh D and doesnt have the paces/talent of some of the bigger posher horses
so i think if we wted till we were consistently getting over 70% we would be waiting forever!! she is more than capable of all the movements and does all this and more just playign at home!

lizzie87

Visit site
it matters to me what the score is!! but will give it a go! dont want to move up a level and feel like the worst out of that group, would rather move up when she is ready to go out and get an acceptable score!
Will give the med a go tho, thanks!!

TheDressageRider

Visit site
I would say have a go the most important thing is to keep active and forward though the test as your judge is looking for your horses hind quarters to be engaged and your horse to stay in and outline but that goes to say in all tests.

good luck and enjoy yourself

TheDressageRider

lizzie87

Visit site
thanks...always get good comments at end on activity ... 'good active paces'... and have to make myself slow down a bit.. the bain of my instructors life...he is forever telling me to 'slow down' especially in trot, so that shouldn't be a probs! thanks!