What makes a good livery?

darkhorse123

Visit site
I think i am. I respect the yard is my yos home and he is letting my horse live there.
Im careful to be very quiet early mornings and evenings - well anytime but especially then. I pay my bill on time, tidy up after myself and stick to the rules.
I am welcoming to new liveries and i like to think friendly to all - polite to yo, his family and guests
I always thank him for anything he does fo rmy horse - ie fixing leaks etc, supplying a starvation paddock in summer using his electric fencing and hard work!

I try very hard not to bother him with anything unless absoluteley neccesary ie for my horses welfare ie very leaky roof and needing starvation paddock only after hed seen me try and fail miserable with several muzzles plus field safe headcollars on top etc.

Im short I respect him and my horses rented home

padderpaws

Visit site
I think a good livery is someone who is totally independent with their horse and can also help others if need be. I am unfortunately not that and am totally dependent of other people to ride out with at the mo.

skydancer

Visit site
I think a good livery provides the basics adaquate grazing, stabling and an arena. A big deal is the people - itsnot nice spending hundreds of pounds a month on your horse and then dreading going to the yard because of the people:)

MrVelvet

Visit site
nice, friendly and happy people
nice, friendly and happy horses

:)

oh sorry misread!

I have just moved onto a livery yard after always being on a private yard. I keep out of yard politics, do not pass judgement unless asked (and then proceed with caution), I keep my area clean and tidy, do not 'borrow' things, Never leave a horse out on its own. :)

Last edited:

sophiebailey

Visit site
Somebody who understands that each horse is an individual and so their methods may not be applicable to your horse :)

Somebody who will help you without being asked and without asking for anything in return :)

Somebody who accepts you and your horse for who you are and doesn't try to change you!!

Somebody who encourages you forward with your riding rather than criticising you!!

Somebody who doesn't take your stuff ;)

I'm the luckiest girl alive because the ladies who I'm on livery with are all of the above!! Me and Bailey are lucky lucky lucky. xxx

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Wellll........ I'm a YO and I have the perfect livery:-

She is:

Kind, considerate, and always polite.

Always cheerful, even if things aren't going too well.

Always shuts gates, never leaves a mess, poo-picks religiously and rotates her "bit" of pasture sensibly without having to be hassled or told (she's DIY).

Has a lovely family who come out to the yard with her (little boy & teenage girl) - plus other (non-horsey) members of the family who're always polite, sensitive to us who live at the yard (!!!), and always willing to muck in and help their "mum" without grousing or complaining; quite unusual for children these days.

Always looks after her three ponies conscientiously, fairly and firmly. They always look absolutely super and are not spoiled or allowed to get away with stuff and be a nuisance to everyone else.

She leaves the yard spotless; her stable management is exemplary (and shows me up!! :)); she's always a source of horsey wisdom to others but without being condescending or interfering.

She always pays on time!!!

She is a true treasure; we're so lucky to have her on our yard, plus her lovely family as well.

She always puts in a great deal of effort and preparation as her ponies are competing such a lot - this morning she was riding out in a Force 11 Hooley prepping for a competition at the weekend; she deserves to do well and I'm sure she will!

Long may she stay!!!

muffinmunsh

Visit site
I'd like to think I am a good livery as I stick to my side of the deal, ie I pay on time and in full - there us never a problem in that respect -, my horses are polite and so am I, we keep our selves to our selves. I supply all my tools and electric fencing (to improve existing yard fencing) as well as extra security devices. I pay for all their food, bedding, vet, ... extra as it is assisted livery but works out as full livery for me.
In return the YM looks after mine as if they were his own. They get turned in and out, rugs changed, beds clean, paddocks clean, haynets and water filled all the time. Slightest sign of something unusual and I am called or the vet if necessary (the YM has written authority to do do). They get held for vet, farrier, osteo ... And most importantly the horses are happy as larry. If I went away tomorrow for a year I know I would not need to worry... :)

sula

Visit site
Wellll........ I'm a YO and I have the perfect livery:-

She is:

Kind, considerate, and always polite.

Always cheerful, even if things aren't going too well.

Always shuts gates, never leaves a mess, poo-picks religiously and rotates her "bit" of pasture sensibly without having to be hassled or told (she's DIY).

Has a lovely family who come out to the yard with her (little boy & teenage girl) - plus other (non-horsey) members of the family who're always polite, sensitive to us who live at the yard (!!!), and always willing to muck in and help their "mum" without grousing or complaining; quite unusual for children these days.

Always looks after her three ponies conscientiously, fairly and firmly. They always look absolutely super and are not spoiled or allowed to get away with stuff and be a nuisance to everyone else.

She leaves the yard spotless; her stable management is exemplary (and shows me up!! :)); she's always a source of horsey wisdom to others but without being condescending or interfering.

She always pays on time!!!

She is a true treasure; we're so lucky to have her on our yard, plus her lovely family as well.

She always puts in a great deal of effort and preparation as her ponies are competing such a lot - this morning she was riding out in a Force 11 Hooley prepping for a competition at the weekend; she deserves to do well and I'm sure she will!

Long may she stay!!!

Aww, what a lovely tribute to what sounds like a lovely livery!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Its so nice to get the positive side of things at livery yards :D

I think I am a good livery too.

I pay on time. See to YOs horses if she needs me to occasionally. Keep to the rules. Help to unload new deliveries, sweep up etc. I have never had any ructions with YOs at any yards because it is their yard and I do as I am asked. YOs trust me and i keep out of any disputes too.

I enjoy my horse and am proud to own her and being at the yard is my pleasure in life so I like to keep it that way.

Mike007

Visit site
A sense of perspective,Ie not griping because you find a few pieces of poo in your stable when YM is on holiday,a key worker has had to urgently go home and the temp didnt show up ,and leaving less than half the staff to do all the work.