What makes a happy yard?

Do you use Blue chip?

• Total voters

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I am curious what makes you happy in a livery yard - I am not talking essentials more what are the little things that make it that bit more enjoyable to be there?

So a little poll as I am bored!
cool.gif

mickey

Visit site
For me, the people are always the key, esp if they are involved in dealing with and managing your horse.

I like an owner that is supportive and reasonable. I am willing to go along with yard rules but I like a certain amount of freedom to manage my horse the way I wish.

Livery is a nightmare if the actual liveries or staff are unhappy or difficult. I realise not everyone can get on and be happy all of the time but a bad atmosphere affects the horses I believe.

So in summary, I feel that happy people are likely to have happier horses. You can have the most glam yard in the world but it can't replace happy people and horses.

Tia

Visit site
I think that if you have a happy, relaxed and professional yard owner, then everything else (except for the facilities bit) follows on - there will be happy horses, happy people, freedom and privacy.
smile.gif

Stella

Visit site
I love high standard facilities, especially a great arena surface. Facilities don't make for a happy yard though. I moved back to my yard (from somewhere posher) 18 months ago. It doesn't have the best arena, but the YO is very good. I trust her with my horse's safety and welbeing and there are no problems amongst the liveries. There are about 39 liveries and since people are down at different times, there are some that I am only on nodding terms with, but it is a friendly supportive place. Also crucially, I can just do my own thing without interferance - for me all that makes for a happy yard
smile.gif

lillie

lilliedodger.proboards99.com
we have a friendly bunch at the yard im at part from 1 who has kept themselves to themselves & we are left to our own devices to an extent re: routines (apart from winter - turnout) & when we go up to yard e.g. only have to inform YO if going up later than 10pm.

we just have YO & a 'YM' type person (well she thinks she is!!) who is a long term friend/livery of YO and she just helps out so YO only has to come once a day since she has had her baby.

JessPickle

Visit site
Lovely yard owner and nice people is what makes it for me

For example our yard is having an xmas party all the liveries, people that help out on the yard and the staff are invited. The yard owners are also coming think we are going bowling and then going for a meal. Now thats a nice yard!

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I would say a nice environment - well thats what out YO wants, he doesnt like it when folk fall out and he will wade in and sort it out! Also being left to do what y ou want and not get funny looks - like I like to sweep when I am stressed or bored, and last night the yard was a tip and I just wanted to sweep and tidy up but the teenyboppers were looking at me like I was a nut job (im only 60% nutter!) and giggling about me.

What ever happened in having pride in your yard and its appearance!?!?! I may just be stuffy, or its just cos the 1st yard I was on was owned by someone high up in the PC and we lived by her rules or we were OUT.

So I guess you can add respectful liveries who help out - to a degree! (I was only sweeping as the yard staff hadnt!)

PaintboxEDT

Visit site
all our horses are so relaxed they would fall over !!
the liveries are all great and get on really well(no kids)
yo is super dupa great person
and not really any rules that are bad just the standard saftey rules
smile.gif

so our yard is great and just how it should be
smile.gif

dwi

Visit site
Having your own space, the vast majority of problems that I have known on yards are caused when you have to share things. First yard, the people who'd been there longest had space for about 30 bales hay each whereas newcomers had to store their hay outside under a tarp. Got a crummy field, small stable and almost no storage space. Two yards later I now have my own field, own tackroom and own lockable hay store. Not as posh as last yard but no-one is complaining that my horse kicked theirs, harrassed them at the gate, I didn't poo pick when they wanted me to.... Some people just aren't good at sharing

clipclop

Visit site
What makes a happy yard? - Not sharing a yard with anyone? PMSL!!!

You are guaranteed to get on with yourself.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
If you start falling out with yourself you just up the pills
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist,,,,I am feeling silly
grin.gif
I know, I know,,,,I am not funny,,,*Bonza slinks off*

FinellaGlen

Visit site
I think that having a pleasant, professional, friendly and competent YO is the key to a happy yard. Our YO is all the above and all of us 7 liveries get on well. Our facilities happen to be very good which is a bonus but the friendly, supportive atmosphere is the most important thing for me personally.