What makes a mare great & who are they?

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
It is always the stallions that get metioned, hardly ever hear about the mares. If this link is correct (& I have checked on the BE website), then surely she must be up there.
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?p=10496202 - When you think that a stallion can produce 1000's of offspring in a lifetime, I think this whips their asses! 9 offspring recorded with a total of 510 BE pts btwn them.

So who else in the sports world that includes racing, western, in-fact anything sport related, stands their own against any stallion. This has to be their offsprings achievements obviously. What I have found when tracing back my own horses blood lines, is a complete lack of info on the mares, especially photos. Does anyone know why the BE site manages to include the sire & dam, yet NED omites them even if the record is that of the BE. Not sure if this is the same for BSJA & BD. It certainly still no good for central info as this mare does not get the credit which seems to be due her.

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
Hear hear! In a world of male chauvinists, the stallion will always be king, unfortunately... :D ;)

*** Swiftly ducking for cover & getting back in her box ***

stolensilver

Visit site
Absolutely agree. Anyone can use a stallion but the difference in the offspring is the mare they come out of.

One of the most amazing mares ever has to be Urban Sea. Dam of Galileo, Sea the Stars both English Derby winners as well as several other black type winners. What a mare!
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?p=10005785

Then there is the amazing Loretta, dam of Sandro Hit, Diamond Hit and Royal Hit, all by different stallions.
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?p=731954

Another outstanding mare is Texas, dam of 4 approved stallions including Flemmingh by 3 different stallions.
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?p=148862

Yet another amazing mare is Matadie, dam of Blue Hors Matine and Ballaseyr Royale (initially called Matajo), both World class dressage competitors and both by different stallions.
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?p=10421416

An outstanding stallion is great but an outstanding mare is even better.

dannydunne

Visit site
For me some of the great mares are:

Heureka- needs no introduction!

Bravo-Reichgraf x Rasputin x Tin Rocco mother of Contendro I and II, Caretano and Cassito and BB Caretana who jumped up to 1.50m

Waage- Calypso II x Royal Wash xx x Colibri mother of Clinton I and II, Clintus 1.60m, international jumper Daesy, G-Casablanca mother of Cantoblanco, Hirtin jumped internationally and is the mother of Levisto.

Grannuschka- Grannus x Ramino x Volturno mother of Conterno Grande, Couleur Rubin, Congress and Couleur Rouge.

Soleil- Capitol x Maestose xx x Frivol xx mother of Corrado I and II plus their full sister Fayence who is the mother of Chellano.

Option- Lord x Ramiro x Harras mother of Coriano. Decendents from this line include Corofino I and II, Diarado, Crawford, Camiros, Constantino, several other approved stallions and international jumpers.

Other mares to mention would be Dame de Ranville mother of Furioso and Mexico 2 influential stallions and Ramonaa although she only ever had 1 foal it turned out to be Nimmerdor. The mares Folia, Fragance du Chalus and Tanagra have created their own lines brimming with Approved stallions, international jumpers and super broodmares.

Sure there are more but they aren't coming to me at the mo!!!

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
What makes a great mare? Their own good competitive record, remaining sound/problem free and then retiring to the paddock to produce competitive offspring from different stallions.

I'd vote for Molly Malone - I can find 7 of her progeny on the BE website but I am sure there are more. She gained 155 points herself and then went on to produce Welton Romance (631 pts, European Champion etc), W Molecule (625 points, took part in European and Word championships with Lucy Thompson and Carl Bouckaert after a successful UK career with Vicky Collins), W Atom, W Lockingvar, and others. I know she won a BE mares award but I can't find anything obvious on the BE website that lists mare achievements. I know there used to be a top mares list but I can't find it now.

There are now grandchildren out there competing too.

I can't understand either why mares get so little recognition.

JVB

Visit site
I imagine stallions get more recognition as they are the money makers, they need to be shouted about so people put mares to them and they earn their stud fees.

Clepottage

Visit site
In addition to the many already credited above, I'm going to put in a vote for Tina D, who as well as being dam to Samber also had a further 7 foals one of which being Wanda, dam to King, another is Cora who herself produced a graded stallion.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
my vote is Cornau, a great Trakehner mare who produced the likes of elite stallion Consul, and is granddam to elite stallion Connery, and numerous other sport horses and graded stallions and was a dressage performer in her own right

S_N

Visit site
I'd go a step further that Urban Sea and mention her dam Allegretta, who is also the dam of King's Best, sire of this years Epsom Derby winner Workforce and also this years Japanese Derby winner Eishin Flash. Allegretta is not only the G'dam of Galileo, Sea The Stars, Black Sam Bellemy etc all out of Urban Sea, but also of Anabaa Blue, Anzilliero and G.G'dam of Tamayuz. What's even more amazing is that this German family was nearly ommitted from the General Stud Book! Due to the German's effectively stealing the French stallion Pharis and the stock that he sired during the war, whilst in Germany were not recognised as they were 'illegal'! This included the mare Asterblute, from whom Allegretta decends! Google Tony Morris Allegretta for the full story! It's fascinating!

Then there are the great reasonably current Juddmonte mares Toussaud and Hasili - the former the dam of four Gr.1 winners and 3 sires in Empire Maker, Chester House, Honest Lady and Chiselling. Hasili being that dam of leading sire and unlucky racehorse Dansili (I say unlucky, as he never scored at Gr.1 level, but was on the card at that level more than once!), Champion Banks Hill, Multiple Gr.1 winners Heat Haze, Intercontinental and Casique!

Be difficult to ignore Height Of Fashion too. Some say selling her was the worst bloodstock decision The Queen ever made - or that was made on her behalf! Height of Fashion is the dam of Nashwan (Champion 3yo in England - won the 2000 Guineas, Epsom Derby, King George & Queen Elizabeth stakes and sire), Nayef (Top rated 3yo in England - won Juddmonte International, Champion Stakes), Unfuwain (Multiple Gr.2 winner), Sarayir (a listed winner herself, but dam of last years 1000 Guineas winner Ghanaati and this years good fill Rumoush), as well as being the G'dam of Lahudood and several other performers at Group/Graded level.

wigum

Visit site
What about Opaline du Pins, The dam of 3 olympic showjumpers including the individual gold medal winner from atlanta games Jus de Pomme. And two more horses who jumped nations cup and who won or were placed at world cup level and to make that achievement even more incredible, every horse was by a different sire.

jus de pomme (Olympic gold medal winner atlanta)
osta rugs quintus (10th olympics Hong Kong)
tresor d'opaline (competed at the 2008 Olympics)

richebourg (Jumped nations cup and was 3rd in a world cup qualifier
in Vigo)
shogoun (winner of the world cup qualifier in geneva)

Alec Swan

Visit site
What about King's Mistress? She's produced the mares Temptress and Fancy, both advanced, and a third mare, also advanced, so I'm told.

I understand that both of the above mares have produced highly regarded foals. The mare Mistress, must surely be considered of foundation quality.

Alec.

eventrider23

Visit site
Definitely Alec and I am sure her legacy is going to live on for years to come! Her other daughter, now 4 star and with ET foals I think born this year to Chilli Morning, is King's Gem. According to Sport horse data, she has 3 eventing g.children.....King Albert (by Mayhill/Fair Oak x King's Gem), King's Rock (Primitive Rising x King's Fancy) and Every's King (Med Night Mahout x King's Temptress). There are many many others too I believe. Little known fact is that she was also, I believe a full sister to Grade A SJer No Complaints.

Last edited:

sallyf

Visit site
It is always the stallions that get metioned, hardly ever hear about the mares. If this link is correct (& I have checked on the BE website), then surely she must be up there.
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?p=10496202 - When you think that a stallion can produce 1000's of offspring in a lifetime, I think this whips their asses! 9 offspring recorded with a total of 510 BE pts btwn them.

So who else in the sports world that includes racing, western, in-fact anything sport related, stands their own against any stallion. This has to be their offsprings achievements obviously. What I have found when tracing back my own horses blood lines, is a complete lack of info on the mares, especially photos. Does anyone know why the BE site manages to include the sire & dam, yet NED omites them even if the record is that of the BE. Not sure if this is the same for BSJA & BD. It certainly still no good for central info as this mare does not get the credit which seems to be due her.

This is a really interesting thread but one thing it highlights is the errors on that site.
The dam sire is listed as being Royal Clipper which i'm sure it is as the age of the mare and fact he was a champion HIS stallion of the time would correorlate this but that and several other successful offspring by him are listed under another horse called Royal clipper who is far too old and stood in the states.
Sorry only really noticed it because Royal Clipper is my stallions dam sire so have a vested interest but a shame that several decent eventers are listed under a completely differant stallion albeit with the same name.
Rant over and back to the original thread i agree with SN Urban sea and Allegretta.
Also Best Mates dam managed to produce at least 3 graded winners over fences

Last edited:

wigum

Visit site
I was just re-reading this thread when I noticed the lack of dutch/belgian marelines being mentioned, the majority have been French/German/Irish & English.

I have read that Mermus R comes from a strong mareline that has also produced, odermus r, toyz r us and some others? does anyone know of any outstanding dutch or belgian lines?

Kaylum

Visit site
What makes a great mare, along with the mare herself, her breeder. Ruby gave birth to two colts, both outstanding. Doesnt matter how many foals they have and the King was her second foal. She is the top of my mare list.

Simsar

Visit site
Highlight 2 must be up there with the best of them

Errigal Flight ISH s 1984 IE CH King of Diamonds
Highlight Girl ISH f 1981 IE CH King of Diamonds
Laughton's Flight ISH s 1983 IE CH King of Diamonds

and Gowran Betty what a dynasty she left us

Flagmount Betty ID f 1979 IE B King of Diamonds
Flagmount Boy ID s 1974 IE GR King of Diamonds
Flagmount Diamond ID s 1976 IE B King of Diamonds
Flagmount Girl ID f 1977 IE GR King of Diamonds
Flagmount King ID s 1981 IE BR King of Diamonds
The Chieftain ISH m 1990 IE GR Kings Servant

Aredis

Visit site
picture.php

This is Arro, seen here at four months. He is a great grandson of Tanagra.
A colt foal by Diamant de Semilly out of Havana du Tillard.