What makes you proud?

Shantara

Visit site
What makes you proud to call your horse yours?

I was pondering this while riding Neddy out for the first time after 2 months and it was like he'd never had a break! I know of several horses that would need a good lunging session before you'd even consider getting on!

What makes me proud -

* As above, same horse no matter how long you leave him!
* Has never bitten
* Good at cuddles
* Often tries his best, even if his rider is failing miserably!
* Is very brave when jumping
* Trusts me and looks to me for help
* Has come on leaps and bounds since I first met him!
* Lets me do all manner of silly bombproofing things
* Is my very first horse :D

So, lets hear yours!

Hanson

Visit site
Oh schucks Chan, no you've made me get all unnecessary and emotional just thinking about that!��

Just the fact that they willingly let me part of their world.

My boy likes to be cuddled and kissed (as long as food has been provided, I ain't that daft!). And the special thing about madam? Even if I let her munch on her hay whilst I get her ready for riding, she opens her mouth ready for the bit/bridle to go on as soon as she sees me pick it up, even mid munch.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
My main mare was wrote off by others. To quirky,to hot, to quick! She had thrown off 8 people who tried her and had been passed pillar to post so many times i've lost count! I fell in love with her when I met her! Yes she is extremely hot and quirky, but since I have worked with her and not against her she is the most special talented horse. I'm proud of her for putting that trust into me which she could of so easily lost in people given how she had been thrown around. In the first year or so she began to show her personality, and now she is such a character! So I am very proud of her for putting that trust in me,she has brought out the best in me and I hope I have done the same for her :)

Lillybob

Visit site
This is a lovely thread! For me it's that from her birth until now, everything I've asked of her she's tried. We've done it together and through the stages where she could easily have hated me, she never stopped being the soppy little baby she is. And that sweetness and cheeky but caring nature is just wonderful to me. Very proud of her personality and the horse she's becoming

Spilletta

Visit site
Ohh, Chan, I was wondering how you were getting on just the other day! My horse is quite an independent miss, but I love that after we do something new - maybe go galloping with other horses - that she works out what's going on and you can see her confidence grow before your eyes. I love that we are growing together after a broken tendon, wrist and thumb between us. It's not always easy, but I believe we understand and trust each other, and I can't imagine life without her.

Eta: one of the biggest compliments I received was an old horseman seeing me and my horse, and saying he could see she trusted me. I will try to never let her down.

Last edited:

Merrymoles

Visit site
Funnily enough, we were talking about this while hacking out last night after a scary moment with some bullocks who sent both horses across the road in the blink of an eye.

At the time, I was proud that, despite his sheer panic at these monsters, he listened to me and didn't end up in the barley or running for home. We were lucky there was no traffic at that moment but at least we know they are there now. I think we jumped as much as the horses did. Then we had a second moment when he backed up towards a dike (think six inches from the edge) because of a new, scary, log on the other side of the road. Again, he listened to me and we passed it without further incident.

What I am proud of is that we now have a good degree of mutual trust. In three years, he has gone from refusing to stand still to be mounted and then rushing off madly once on, to standing quietly at the mounting block and moving off at a steady walk when asked. He had huge issues having his front legs and his head touched and both of these have improved no end, especially the head, although the legs are still a work in progress.

To sum up, this is what I love about horses. With time and patience you can often see a massive difference in them. My lad is by no means perfect - needs schooling more, still bites when he forgets himself, is a worry guts, and could do with a good tidy up if only he could relax and let me get on with it - but he's definitely my lad! :)

Sheep

Visit site
I just love my boy, he is such a sweetheart and so very handsome too :) He is such a trier and will give anything a go.

We've had a few issues but he is coming back into work and is feeling good! He is my pride and joy and even if coming back into work doesn't suit him, that's fine with me.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm proud of both mine in very different ways. M my share horse is Mr Perfect so I'm very proud of him but I don't feel much of our acheivements are down to me - I put it all down to him being so amazing. I love it when strangers come up to me and tell me how wonderful he is - although I do wonder sometimes if they want to add "for putting up with you!" Having said that, he didn't do much dressage before me (or me before him!)so I do take a bit more credit whne it comes to our achievements there. Getting 69% in our 2nd ever novice test was a particular proud moment.

My horse, A is a bit more special. I was bursting with pride on Sunday because for the first time in 10 years we had a 1/2 hour schooling session and he didn't lean on my hands once and only had one mini tantrum. Small victories! I am most proud of him when he nannies other horses (including M who worries about big things) on the road and doesn't bat an eyelid at things that would have other horses running for home. The day a paraglider nearly landed on us and all he did was try to go and sniff the canopy (there must be treats in a pocket that big :D) was our greatest triumph, especially as the other three horses we were with we cowering behind him and if he'd gone there'd have been 4 horses disappearing into the sunset.

pennyturner

Visit site
Bruin the shetland was being led around with a 2yo child rider at the local fete on Saturday when a boy dropped a balloon. The thing passed right between the pony's ears, down his side, and behind him. The silly boy then dove right behind the pony and deliberately popped it. Bruin didn't even twitch.

Miller, a 7yo NF stallion who came to us a neurotic mess, did rides at the same fete. He stood on 3 legs the whole time he was waiting, met everyone new with kind, friendly curiosity, and walked calmly around the circuit all afternoon like an old seaside donkey.

Both ignored 2 fire engines tearing across the grass nearby, sirens blaring, having been called away to an emergency half-way through the fete.

I'm so proud that they are kind and confident enough to be suited to this kind of thing, as well as eager to go racing around with their usual riders.

Feival

Visit site
Winnie did last night, our first hack in company from new yard, on a new route. She lead the entire time, didn't spook, bronc or mis behave in any way. I couldn't be more proud of my £150 pony ��

stormclouds

Visit site
That he is so level-headed and calm - and when he does get excited, it's such genuine WHEEEEEEE excitement that it makes me grin (and hang on for dear life)

That even when he does have a hooley and a buck, he keeps his head up and slows down if asked

That he's trusting enough to let me squeeze in for a cuddle when he's lying down in the field/stable

That I can put almost anyone on his back and he'll plod along

That he is up for almost anything, and tackles anything with big, brave heart

We went XC schooling for the first time together last week, he flew over everything without question (even a ditch, something his previous owner said he wouldn't touch). My new instructor said we were working completely in sync, as if we were thinking the same things.

I've had him around three months, and every day is a privilege (though maybe not when he's trashed £100s of fencing...)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I am proud of my three miniatures who make me smile everyday and who are so brave no matter what they are faced with. I am proud of my old mare who had to be retired at the age of 7 due to health issues but for all she has been through she still trusts me and will let me do anything with her. As for my sect d, bless him he is a handsome lad and lovely to handle from the ground but not sure proud is a word I can use for him but I love him to bits.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I'm proud of both my 2 criollo boys and of myself. They both came with baggage and and I was very inexperienced.

One of my lads has progressed from being a gibbering wreck who self harmed when I asked him to do anything he didn't understand, to a successful and happy all rounder who will give anything a go, and is an absolute gem to handle. He's everyone's friend, and a delightful character.

My other lad was a physical and emotional wreck with awful feet, and it's taken about 7 years to get him to a place where he is content, well, settled, and actively seeks my company. His feet are super now as well. He'll never be properly sound, but he'll live out his days with me and have all of his needs met. I'm proud of them both, and how much we have all learned from each other.

Silmarillion

Visit site
Something really simple, but...
My boy is on restricted grazing and obviously can't resist the opportunity to grab a cheeky mouthful of grass now and again. I have some confidence issues when it comes to mounting. Our mounting block is outside the field, on a grass verge. My boy walks up to the mounting block, listens very carefully for when I ask him to stand, and stands there rock solid and with his head up. Once I get on, I have a "cue" for allowing him to eat and he waits patiently until I'm sorted and stable enough for him to put his head down.
My mum then follows me out of the field and moans that her horse won't lift its head for ger to get on, and asks how I trained mine so well :D
It's a small thing that makes the world of difference to the start of our ride! I'm so proud of him for being so good!

Dizzle

Visit site
The fact that although people may laugh at the fact I own a small 13.2hh ex-riding school pony I can take her out and do ANYTHING on her and... ENJOY IT!

I'm also proud of the fact that she is such a nice pony person to have around if she broke tomorrow it would be a pleasure to keep her as a pet.

Finally I'm proud of the fact that my short, fat, lazy, nappy pony that walks at half a mile an hour can put on a turn of speed out hacking in company that means she can keep up with fit 16.2hh hunters and absolutly no one ever expects it! :D

DressageCob

Visit site
I'm proud that my horse, who came to me headshy and difficult to tack up (he would drop his back and do circles around the stable when I put the saddle on) will not stand calmly as I tack him and lets me stroke his face (and sometimes brush it).

He tries his best at everything, even things he finds really hard (like sideways!)

He used to buck in the canter and was strong to ride and in particular jump, but now he is consistently scoring in the late 60s/early 70s in affiliated prelim and novice, jumps nicely and could be trusted with anyone on his back.

I'm also immensely proud that he is doing so well at dressage. When I got him he had never been asked for an outline or for sideways and now he is awesome at it all.

He's such a smart little horse with a cheeky personality (as the judge at our elementary class at Trailblazers said at the weekend "he's a happy person") I'm just so proud that he's mine and I am his :D I'll never part with him now, despite frequent enquiries by people at competitions :D

Micropony

Visit site
I was ever so proud of my 4yo WB a couple of weeks ago when he was out hacking an unfamiliar route past genuinely scary things he'd never seen before. Although tense and anxious he didn't put a foot wrong, trusted me and even took the lead past things that his hacking companions (in their 20s!) balked at. What a little dude!

kez81

Visit site
I love my old boy for all his patience and the confidence he has given me over the years despite the fact that he is far too well bred to be seen in such company you know!
Loan pony for being my kids best friends and partner in many many crimes; just the way ponies should be.
My big fella. He arrived entire and unhandled at three years old as a project just to pass sometime before beinh sold. Although suspicious of me at first, has grown into my horse of a lifetime and will be with me always. He has shown me endless love and loyalty and he always gives me his whole heart in everything. He is my best friend, my soul mate, my while world. I would not just be lost without him, I would no longer be me.

tristar

Visit site
I must say I was proud of jupi, iberica Jupiter, my stallion, who when he came to me 12 years ago was so unhandled it took ages to get him off the box, he has always been very hot, I usually lunge before riding then he is fine to ride, my neighbour rode him, the first time ever another person has ridden him, my neighbour had not ridden for 20 years, jupi took him around the arena then the field like a first pony, even in canter when the neighbour was unbalanced jupi just went nice and steady, it was good to see the neighbour`s huge grin, specially as he often cleans the stables.