What model is this trailer please?

Birker2020

Visit site
This is a Rice Richardson trailer I believe but I can't find any model on any of the websites that look similar. I'm trying to find the internal dimensions for it.
If anyone could help I'd be most grateful. Its unladen weight is approx. 650KG and it has a heavy wooden partition (which can be removed) and cushioning on both sides of the trailer walls inside. It takes two horses (although I've only used it for the one)

I'm having it repainted but there are internal fixings that I require for it and so could do with knowing what model it is. Thanks

1627374206665.png1627374217079.png1627374228124.png

Attachments

• 1627374238059.png
    1627374238059.png
    387.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Alibear

Visit site
It looks very similar to one I had, which was an lw16.2 which meant you could put up to 2 x 16.2 horses on it. Mine had that stamped on a plate on the hitch with the weight etc. All the openings, windows, fixtures fittings etc., match yours, as does the colour scheme. I bought mine from 3 years old, and lw16.2 was listed as the model on the paperwork too. I sold it a few years ago now, so I don't have that anymore.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Probably a Europa. They were lightweight front unloads like that. Mine was the same colour and had the same partition.

Are you sure about the unladen weight? If genuinely 650kg, then that rules out the Beauforts, as they were both heavier and more sturdily built than the Europas.

Birker2020

Visit site
Probably a Europa. They were lightweight front unloads like that. Mine was the same colour and had the same partition.

Are you sure about the unladen weight? If genuinely 650kg, then that rules out the Beauforts, as they were both heavier and more sturdily built than the Europas.
I'm sure it's 650kg as we took it onto the weighbridge. It was many years ago but I've always gone by that weight when calculating the max towing weight for it.

I know we shopped for a while for a lightweight trailer as I had a Sierra Sapphire for a towing vehicle which was within the towing capacity for that make/model. Then I towed it with a Peugeot 406, Vauxhall Vectra and lately a Vauxhall Insignia, all vehicles we carefully calculated were able to tow my horse within the legal capacity for that trailer.

Birker2020

Visit site

I'm sure it's 650kg as we took it onto the weighbridge. It was many years ago but I've always gone by that weight when calculating the max towing weight for it.

I know we shopped for a while for a lightweight trailer as I had a Sierra Sapphire for a towing vehicle which was within the towing capacity for that make/model. Then I towed it with a Peugeot 406, Vauxhall Vectra and lately a Vauxhall Insignia, all vehicles we carefully calculated were able to tow my horse within the legal capacity for that trailer.

Birker2020

Visit site
1627377159143.pngthe reason I didn't think it was a Europa as in picture was because it has different inside moulding, different partition and totally different top door.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
View attachment 76526the reason I didn't think it was a Europa as in picture was because it has different inside moulding, different partition and totally different top door.
The older Europas like mine, which I had from new in the late 80s, definitely had the heavy wooden single piece partition like yours. Yours looks very similar to mine.

They upgraded the Europas later, the pic that you've shown is probably a more recent version of the Europa.

IIRC Europas were designed to take no more than two lightweight 16hhs.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Or it could be a Richardson? I had one, heavy with a solid wooden partition and mine had a wooden floor. It was a copy of the Rice Beaufort, but they merged with Rice.

Birker2020

Visit site
The older Europas like mine, which I had from new in the late 80s, definitely had the heavy wooden single piece partition like yours. Yours looks very similar to mine.

They upgraded the Europas later, the pic that you've shown is probably a more recent version of the Europa.

IIRC Europas were designed to take no more than two lightweight 16hhs.

Gosh I know there was one trailer that I was querying - as Alibear said a 16.2hh lightweight trailer, so it could be that.

My trailer (whatever it is) has always taken my 17hh - 17.1hh horses lovely. The only reason my horse looked big in the trailer was because she was on alert and was able to lift her head up to have a look over the top front unload door after I'd pushed the partition across - she loved being nosey. Normal position when travelling head was obviously a lot lower, way off the roof.

As I'm looking at buying another horse I have to make sure whatever I get will be okay to travel in the trailer with both weight and height.

I've emailed Frank at this website horsetrailersales with photos to see if he knows. The Rice and Richardson trailers are on the website. http://www.horsetrailersales.co.uk/newTrailiers.asp

Alibear

Visit site
Mine had both rice and Richardson stamps as at the time it was made they had merged. Hence it was neither a Europa or a Beaufort also your weight is similar. My partition was rubber on the lower half though.

Birker2020

Visit site
Mine had both rice and Richardson stamps as at the time it was made they had merged. Hence it was neither a Europa or a Beaufort also your weight is similar. My partition was rubber on the lower half though.
We did look at replacing it with a rubber lower partition but Dad said it was the frame that weighed so much. Its a 2 man job to remove it, its a right PITA :p

Birker2020

Visit site
Well I've spoken to the chap at Horse Trailer Sales and he says he thinks its a Europa but I don't think it is.. He was really nice to chat to and has given me the number of a chap called Stephen Brighton who used to deal with Rice trailers so if anyone wants his details for parts I can supply you with his details.

I'm Dun

Visit site
whichever model it is, you wont fit a 17.3hh in it.

650kgs seems far too low. I have a fibreglass rice pony eventer and its 642kgs unladen and it would fit inside yours! I think the Europas are about 900kgs unladed. The Beaufort is heavier.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This is definitely a late 80s Rice Europa. At that time Richardson was a separate make. Sorry for the rubbish pics. It was a fairly early one but not one of the first, which had weak axles which got damaged if the trailer clipped a kerb when being towed. Mine had the uprated heavier duty axles. I can't remember what the payload was - I travelled one 15.3hh.

The rubber matting was a retro addition when we replaced the floor.. The original floor was a double keruing floor - a specified extra over the standard single keruing floor.

07A2ECBC-C999-4595-A618-D8F0A67B5213.jpeg

Originally there was only one window at the front, but we got a second one put in. The partition, though not in this pic, was the heavy wooden single piece one that the OP describes.

It towed beautifully, but it rusted badly and the roof always leaked.

8F6F01DE-5AFF-4D47-9D29-8D37DCD18843.jpeg

Birker2020

Visit site
Mine looks identical at the rear Tiddlypom and fairly similar on the outside with the stilts on the outside and with the straps on the inside (mine were red lol) and the springs and the inside window (the top window in your photo was an air vent) are the same. The inside of mine is completely different but I expect they vary, mines totally flat sides with cushioning along the horses side.

Both very photogenic children, you look like Elizabeth Taylor as a child. :D

Alibear

Visit site
They always sorted mine out, including a new floor, but I think they stopped selling trailers a few years back. Otherwise, I'd have gone back to them for my current one.

I'm Dun

Visit site
ah thats a shame, it would have all tied in then. I guess it doesnt really matter. Parts for these are generic now, apart from the odd bit of old stock which often wasnt model specific anyway, and your old horse is the biggest you would fit in there so I guess that answers both questions, without a specific answer