What music do you school to?

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
I listen to music but have my phone playing it out loud, no headphones :)
Try and choose something to match your ponies tempo.
I try and also make sure it's cheerful, as I get more response then.

cassie summers

Visit site
I'm looking for ideas .... and I'm not adverse to something a bit cheesey now and then! :D

I have to say i am not often in the school but on sunday we had a chance to dressage to music as one of the ladies at our yard has her own dressage to music company she told me that the horse would choose the music me being me puh! i thought but you know what my mare really picked up on a vanessa mae classical pop track she went really forward pricked her ears it was great so i would let your horse choose just try a selection of music which you like see if horse does aswell i am deffo going to do it again it was fun:D

peanut

Visit site
I have to say i am not often in the school but on sunday we had a chance to dressage to music as one of the ladies at our yard has her own dressage to music company she told me that the horse would choose the music me being me puh! i thought but you know what my mare really picked up on a vanessa mae classical pop track she went really forward pricked her ears it was great so i would let your horse choose just try a selection of music which you like see if horse does aswell i am deffo going to do it again it was fun:D

Fantastic idea - thank you!

peanut

Visit site
Nothing, I do hope you don't wear headphones when riding ? same as cyclists, very dangerous IMO

:confused: What brought that on?!

My question was actually a humble way of asking what music you use when you manage to get the school to yourself and can try some dressage to music! But maybe you don't approve of dressage to music ... !

mushroom

Visit site
I like riding to music by Queen, Elvis Presley and generally music from the 80/90s era as it tends to have a good beat, but then I'm that generation (you did say cheesey was ok!) :p

Try posting in Competition Riders, you may get more replies/ideas :)

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
It does depend on your horse's tempo and style AND preferences! Classical does not usually have a strong enough beat,but the LPO's 'Hooked on Classics' is a good vein if you like classical(an evening on Youtube or itunes will find that and much more.)
You will find loads of pop and rock music from the 50's to the present day,but bear in mind that if you find something you fancy competing with oneday,you will have to be aware of the content of the lyrics. (I adore riding to the Trues blood theme(Jace Everett),but pounding around the arena to ...'I wanna do BAD THINGS with you'...might not please the judge!) Also many pop tunes seem to be @120bpm,most horses have trot@130-170 and canter @90-106.....so some great pop music will not fit....although tempos can be edited by10%. Swing is always popular(glen Miller) Bert Kaemphert,Mancini etc goes down well with judges as does Karl Jenkins. Latin music provides a wealth of possiblilties with tangos for trot and salsas for canter. Whatever you choose,riding to music is fantastic fun and can improve a horse's way of going no end. Have fun!

MissMoo

Visit site
I've recently started using my phone to play music while schooling (No ear phones, just volume turned up so horse and I can both hear it) - She's rather partial to a bit of Guns n Roses, Muse, Bon Jovi.........

tonitot

Visit site
I listen to anything and everything and yes, I wear earphones :eek: I've found that playing music keeps me relaxed and stops me getting stressed with her when she's having a "moment" but if I play music out loud she's on edge and seemingly worried, so earphones work for me!

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Nothing, I do hope you don't wear headphones when riding ? same as cyclists, very dangerous IMO

I'm sorry, but can you enlighten me as to why headphones are dangerous when SCHOOLING? I understand the risks when on the road, but what's the problem when you're in an enclosed space with no hazards?