What on earth am I going to do with this mane?!?!

charleysummer

Visit site
Finnigan used to have a very very thick mane, it was full and thick on both sides of his neck and got very dirty and greasy extremely quickly (and also looked a mess!). I usually make a success out of pulling, and my manes look very neat! But Finn has a very strange type of hair- it is thick and frizzy :( and decided to rebel against my attempts to make it neat! This is what it looks like (AFTER an attempt to brush it right!)

255427_4235603723992_979585894_n.jpg

Looks short here, but infact it had a fair bit of length to it, it just sticks to itself in a mohawk
547224_4235604204004_1423266036_n.jpg

The other side, where no mane is meant to be :(

If he was a cobbier type I'd probably just hog it off, but he's a sporty ISH type and I hate hogged manes anyway :eek: I wish I'd left it how it was, it was a thick mess but it looked a million times better than it does now! It grows very quick, so should I just grow it out?

Here is a picture of his mane before, It was like this on both sides
179104_3876425304756_2625878_n.jpg

Help!

Last edited:

Oriel

Visit site
My Andalusian has a very thick mane which was growing beautifully until this summer - he obviously got really itchy and rubbed most of it off. Its now growing a bit like yours. At first I was so upset I thought I'd just take the lot off but couldn't bare to do it.

What I did do though was to get a mane and tail builder (Supreme Products). It does seem to encourage the growth. I found the best way to apply it was to empty some into a plastic cup which I put in one of those belts you use for grooming things. I then use a brush similar to the sort a hairdresser would use to apply colour. I part the hair every half inch or so and work along the mane. I find you use less that way and it gets right down to the base of the hair.

Good luck !!

nikCscott

Visit site
This is what my WB looks like I keep it short and plait when we need to be presentable! :eek:

Also... coloured aren't my thing but he's LUSHOUS!!

Mongoose11

Visit site
I LOVE his original bogbrush look. We have a chestnut on our yard with the same type of hair and we have nicknamed her Basil Brush! I would just let it grow back again as it was in the last picture and then maybe use thinning scissors rather than pulling it?

bonbeau

Visit site
My mare has a wild mane that likes to stick up and go all over the place, I find the best thing is to band it or plait it in sections and leave it for a few days/a week and it helps to tame it over to where you want it to be. I had my mares mane tamed to the right side then she went on loan and the girl kept brushging it on the wrong side so now I'm back to square one with it!!
Also if its very thick you could thin it out, use the thinning blades on the underneath then brush it back over onto the right side....good luck!!

RubyFrench

Visit site
This is EXACTLY what happened to my gelding, the bottom half is beautiful and lays flat (although horrible and course hair) but the too half although it is the same length sticks in the air :mad: I hate it!!!

Cahill

Visit site
i like it how it is but if i wanted it longer/flatter i would let it grow to have more weight,then platt it and leave in for a week at a time.only use the bands on the very ends or they will break the hair.if you were able to do that and it got to the desired lenght,then you could thin a little from underneath.

maisie2011

Visit site
I personally prefer to see a horse / pony with a full mane, so I'd grow it out. Do you compete in a discipline which requires platting?