What on earth is this..? Worm..

HannahB

Visit site
Never found any sign of worms when field clearing before. Both ponies have very low worm counts (tested last week). I think it's a round worm or something? Definitely wouldn't want it in my intestines 🤢

20240413_115324~4.jpg

Edited- it was about 2cm long

HannahB

Visit site
It’s a maybug (cockchafer) larvae. Completely harmless (unless, perhaps you’re a fruit tree). Later on in the year you’ll see him / her flying round / crawling through the grass. Please be nice to it - we need all the biodiversity we can get.

Thanks, very glad it's not a worm!

Hackback

Visit site
If you don't like them send them my way 😁 I've only seen (or maybe 'experienced' is a better word) Maybugs a few times. The first time was a bit of a shock when something about the size of a helicopter and sounding like an old British motorbike flew past my ear, but now I love them. It's a proper warm Spring/early Summer evening vibe.

Nasicus

Visit site
I'll bet it did. I'll raise you a discarded cigarette end down the neck of my waterproofs.
Oh christ! Bet that was unpleasant!
To one up us both, my friend had a wasp fly down the neck of his jacket and proceed to sting him all over his chest, stomach and back. Lucky the dude isn't allergic, he was very sore 😬

Lois Lame

Visit site
He looks like a witchetty grub. Totally harmless.

Whatever kind of grub he is, he'll grow up to be a beetle. He won't worry your horse in any way.