What pace to pass other horses?

Chestnut mare

Visit site
Only walk! I was hacking today almost home and the neighbour was bringing his horses in from the field (he rides and leads) I pull over to let him pass he trots on ( to be polite I think as I was waiting) my pony didnt like it all she span round and ran off down the road) pulled up no problem and turned round. She is usually unflapable.

L&M

Visit site
To those that have had a 'go' re me taking my son on a fun ride.....so you are saying that novice horses or riders should not be allowed to go on fun rides? How else are they meant to learn?!

In response.....

Firstly we did go towards the end.

Secondly the riders came towards us on a gravel track at a fast trot - they had plenty of time to see a child ahead of them but carried on going. When passing they kicked up gravel which hit my sons pony - the pony jinked sideways into a fence which my son somehow managed to get his foot stuck in and fell off. Fortunately the pony stood like a rock to let him get back on.

Thirdly the pony is normally bombproof and had behaved impeccably up until that moment - it is an animal not a machine.

And finally I wouldn't have taken my son if I didn't think he was capable - we had picked that specific fun ride as there was no jumping so would not command a huge number of entries, so can assure you I put a lot of thought into it before taking him.

Living in Shropshire we do a lot of fun rides and it really annoys me when people career past you, often out of control or with little consideration for others. It doesn't matter what horse you are passing - it is just plain courtesy to slow down and check if it is safe to pass.

As a note this child 6 mnths on is now hunting weekly so seems to have done him no harm - or maybe I am irresponsible allowing him to do that as well?!

Last edited:

Mongoose11

Visit site
Sidney, sounds like your boy is doing brilliantly then! My point was I don't think it was unreasonable for them to pass at a trot on a fun ride, people have to pass each other over and over again. A canter would have been unreasonable....

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I have a mental mare, she can't cope with horses anywhere near her! front or behind! she will go mad, jog, bolt, prat about! so when I kept her in a busy (horsey busy) village I used to often have to pass over horses that were ahead but I would always shout out to the other ride to make sure we could jog passed them! most people were fine with it! but I'd never go passed any faster than that

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
To those that have had a 'go' re me taking my son on a fun ride.....so you are saying that novice horses or riders should not be allowed to go on fun rides? How else are they meant to learn?!

In response.....

Secondly the riders came towards us on a gravel track at a fast trot - they had plenty of time to see a child ahead of them but carried on going. When passing they kicked up gravel which hit my sons pony - the pony jinked sideways into a fence which my son somehow managed to get his foot stuck in and fell off. Fortunately the pony stood like a rock to let him get back on.

Thirdly the pony is normally bombproof and had behaved impeccably up until that moment - it is an animal not a machine.

And finally I wouldn't have taken my son if I didn't think he was capable - we had picked that specific fun ride as there was no jumping so would not command a huge number of entries, so can assure you I put a lot of thought into it before taking him.

Living in Shropshire we do a lot of fun rides and it really annoys me when people career past you, often out of control or with little consideration for others. It doesn't matter what horse you are passing - it is just plain courtesy to slow down and check if it is safe to pass.

As a note this child 6 mnths on is now hunting weekly so seems to have done him no harm - or maybe I am irresponsible allowing him to do that as well?!

fair comment and agree

x

JFTDWS

Visit site
Just sounds like an accident, Sidney - hardly outrageous for them to trot past on a track during a fun ride in my opinion.

spookypony

Visit site
If you only ever passed at walk on an endurance ride, nobody would make their times! :D

That being said, even in that context, it's polite to ask "OK to pass at trot/canter?", and not to do it if the people say, "No, please walk".

If I'm on a normal hack/in a non-endurance context, I pass at walk/slow trot, because I can't assume that the other horse is ok being passed at greater speed.

A friend and I were in an awkward situation once on a hack. We were following another rider along a track, and caught up to her just before a gate. This gate is followed by a nice long straight clear stretch, which has another gate at the far end. A lovely canter track! We passed her before the first gate, and asked if she'd like us to leave it open for her (to which we got a bit of a sarcastic response). Then, because she was on something that appeared a bit highly strung and was not very far behind yet, we decided not to have our canter, instead trotting gently to try to put a little distance between us. However, instead of walking a bit to let us pull ahead enough, the lady sped up and followed us. At the other gate, because we had to open it, she was right behind again, and followed us without closing the gate behind her. Once again, when we were out of sight in the forest, we tried to pull ahead a bit so that we might speed up...but a short while later, she came belting up behind us again, and claimed that she just needed to pass us (the impression we got was that she thought that we, being on mere ponies, obviously didn't have anything as spirited to deal with). So her horse barged past kicking and bucking, and set off my pony...thankfully, there was a fork shortly thereafter, where we could go a different way, but I have no idea what else we could have done! :confused:

Littlelegs

Visit site
To play devils advocate though sidney, what if it was another child who passed your son in that situation, with the excuse they were on a fizzy pony who leaped around if made to walk for long stretches? Which child has priority then?

stacie21

Visit site
xloopylozzax
I think you have to take each situation as it comes. Communication is key in things like this, I would be miffed if I was out riding and another rider expected me to walk just because they aren't in control.
What happens when you are in warms ups/schooling together?! Or out hunting?

It's rider aware on both counts- the world doesn't stop just because you may be having problems.

REALLY !!!!
I don't think so. You don't no what other horse has been through or if they have done much. Not everyone competes and gallops round the country side with no fear. A horse is a big wild animal at end of the day I don't think you can ever say you are 100% in control you have obviously never had a accident due others stupidity. What would you do if you was miffed about having to walk for 2 mins and someone has a fall and is seriously injured or killed because of you impatience and lack of respect for other riders.

canteron

Visit site

In response.....

Don't worry, most of us have sympathy for you and think fun rides are designed to by fun, not pulled down by a few selfish types.

I was appalled at the selfish behaviour by some endurance riders on a 'Fun Ride' a couple of years ago, they were just wanting to get their times, and it seemed the wrong place to ride in that way. Anyway all riders lost out in the end because the estate owner pulled it - partly due to the fact his children had some inconsiderate people charging past (Was that you JFTD?).

I would say that some of my landowning friends absolutely hate having horsey events on their land because some of the manners are so loutish - it is becoming more and more difficult to find people prepared to put up with the rude minority.

stacie21

Visit site
I will add that all I ask is that people open there eyes and if you see someone struggling then have some manners and walk or shout out when you see other riders if they happy for you to keep coming happy days if not then respect that and walk manners cost nothing as for on fun rides most people are happy if you just double check I took my youngster on his first ever ride luckily he was fine for most if it but some people found it funny to wind other horses up one day it will be them and I bet they will be the first to moan when they are not on there steady neddy

JFTDWS

Visit site
Was that you JFTD?

Rude.

I don't do fun rides :rolleyes: I just don't see why other riders should come back to a walk and get stuck behind other riders who think it is unreasonable that they should be passed at a trot, but won't stop and let others pass them [at walk]. I think that is an immense lack of manners on their part and totally a product of the "world should stop around me and my pony" mentality.

Last edited:

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
I was thrown off my horse (mentally unstable!) a few years back. We had been riding out and were coming round the corner off the bridle path when 5 endurance (juniors) came galloping past (I'd halted to let them past) and one clearly should not have been riding in the comp as she galloped straight into my horse who was well off to the side! My horse bolted off down the road dodging cars.

But normally, I'm happy for riders to overtake at a walk or trot, however rarely overtaken as my mare is a bit of a speed demon! We overtake more than not, and always call out to ask if I can continue at current speed or to slow down. My current mare hates being overtaken at speed, but I don't mind as long as I'm given warning, she's not naughty but she may try to follow and when refused, may bunnyhop. Nothing I can't control and end.

mynutmeg

Visit site
We rarely meet other horses but would always aim to pass at a walk - tbh if I can I would tuck my mare in a gateway facing them as she isn't brilliant with strange horses close behind her.

millitiger

Visit site
I will always only walk when overtaking.

I understand some people will want to trot to overtake; imo that's fine as long as you shout out and ask the rider in front first.

However, I would only walk as don't want to cause an incident, regardless of whether the other rider 'should' be in control of their horse at all times.

Tobiano

Visit site
I don't really know the correct answer to this but agree it can be tricky. Sometimes you need to trot to actually get some distance if you are both going in the same direction (obviously if you have hailed the rider in front) but equally, 2 or 3 horses trotting along a road behind you can be a bit startling / upsetting for your horse. I think if everyone uses good manners, common sense and as much preparation of their horse as is feasible, we would all be fine.

L&M

Visit site
Quite easily as I do it all the time.....!

At a fun ride you are cantering on and catch up with a person/group in front - you slow to a walk and ask is it ok to come past. Assuming they say yes you walk quietly past. You then check behind that you haven't wound anyone up, then kick on.

The only time I will canter past somone else is out hunting, but will always shout that I am coming through, and if it causes an issue will slow to a walk until I am past.

I think we will have to very politely agree to disagree on this one!

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Sidney how do you walk calmly past a group of walking horses if your horse is smaller or has less scope in its pace than those you want to over take?

This is what gets me - my pony physically cannot overtake walking horses in walk and if they want us to overtake in walk they would have to stop. If they don't, I'm damned if I'm going to stay behind them forever!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Pass others at a walk, always - isn't that what it says in the Pony Club book? I hope I don't come across some of the speed merchants when I am out.

If you don't want to be held up behind a slower rider, you ask if it is OK to come past and then when you have gone a little further, trot on.

tessybear

Visit site
Me and the plod don't do much over taking :cool: But when being overtaken she can get nervous if someone comes flying up her bottom so i usually pull her into a gateway or verge so she can see other horse and let them pass as they please, they could fly past at gallop and she won’t mind, just as long as they are not up her bum.

I believe It is nice to ask if you are going to overtake at a trot just to give people a heads up :) Although my mum has always told me when coming up to another horse slow to a walk and ask politely if it's ok to overtake at say trot :)

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Rude.

I don't do fun rides :rolleyes: I just don't see why other riders should come back to a walk and get stuck behind other riders who think it is unreasonable that they should be passed at a trot, but won't stop and let others pass them [at walk]. I think that is an immense lack of manners on their part and totally a product of the "world should stop around me and my pony" mentality.

there is a woman on the yard that is determined to bubble wrap her world - and that includes yelling at other riders, on the other side of the hedge to stop (if you're lucky she'll allow a walk). Problem is, that 9/10 the riders cantering (or shock horror doing an 'extended canter' :D) won't have seen her and it all ends up a mess as she yells, spooks all the horses and then squeals because her horse has turned 90' to the right :rolleyes:

All the fun/charity rides I have seen the schedules for have stated quite clearly that you must pass in walk and with the permission of the riders you are overtaking.

Which is just dandy when you're faced with 4 rumps in front of you which all apparently kick according to the red ribbons in their tails :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I can't imagine my lad ever managing to pass anyone at a walk! maybe it's a native thing JFTD :D

I'm not mad am I? It's just not possible for a pony to overtake a horse who may be a full foot taller than them in the same gait! I'm more than happy to overtake at walk if they halt (maybe jog if he's in a knobbish mood!), but if I call out "ok to overtake?" and they reply "yes" but don't stop, how else am I expected to get past but by trotting on? :confused:

Phew, that makes them a bit safer then!

A lot safer for me, not having to encounter all these people who can't control their horses :rolleyes:

By the way, canteron, since you're so insistent I am a danger to other riders, and an insult to good manners, would you like to explain how I can possibly get my 14hh highland to walk past a larger, longer strided steed without picking up trot, if they won't stop to allow me to walk past? I'd love to hear your opinion, since you are clearly expert at keeping others safe :)

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have to say I am a bit on the fence with this one. For the most part I would consider it my problem if my horse was badly behaved if other horses overtake, sometimes he jigs if someone just happens to be hacking in front of us too, but equally I don't think I have ever had anybody not ask even on fun rides :eek: :D.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think everyone agrees you should ask, however I don't expect to be told no without a very good reason, & something the other rider couldn't have forseen. Generally having no control is not my idea of a good reason to say no.

biggingerpony

Visit site
I always slow down to a walk when seeing other riders... And normally ask 'Is it OK if I trot past??' My mare can be a bit squeally (sp?) with other horses so I try and get by in trot if possible to avoid her winding the other horse up! I would leave it a fair bit before cantering though.

I learnt my lesson when I was 13, I was riding my horse at my first sponsored ride. My friend (same age) and I wanted a blast and thought it would be really cool if we galloped past a group of about 5 or 6 horses. So we fly past, go to turn a corner my mare goes one way and I go the other. Queue me very red faced as the people we galloped past trotted towards me to ask if I was OK! So embarrassing, but I least I learnt young :eek: