What plain black riding boots do you use??

shirerosie

My last pair of riding boots have split and I am looking for a new pair for the next hunting season. Can anyone recommend any good pairs that are comfortable??

mule

I have a nice Mark Todd pair of competition boots without laces but with zips. They come in different leg lengths but the leather is soft. They're fine for xc but I don't know how they'd cope with hunting/ thorny branches etc, Realistically they'd probably be fine but they're still newish so I'm careful with them.There are fantastic bargains online.

Shay

Mountain horse rimfrosts. Traditional style, loads of protection and really warm. If you want the curved top rather than the plain you can go for the Arctic. Only problem is there is no garter strap - but you can fix one very easily.

Another vote for Ariats - I love my Bromonts
How are the calf sizes on the Bromonts? I have a pair on my ebay watch list at a very good price (lightly worn) but have had the experience of ordering online and ifnding the calves are too tight... are they quite generous?

dogatemysalad

Love Ariat boots but bitterly regret buying the heritage contour boots. They fit beautifully and are very comfortable, but the boots are so slippery on the inside leg, that I was almost catapulted out of the saddle.

The Trooper

Ariat paddock boots and Just Chaps premium half chaps for me. I have a black set that I use for everyday out and about in the summer and a brown set that I am currently breaking in to use as my 'Sunday Set' this summer.

I also have a pair of Tuffa Broadland boots - Not through choice, more necessity due to the width of my calves.

AFB

How are the calf sizes on the Bromonts? I have a pair on my ebay watch list at a very good price (lightly worn) but have had the experience of ordering online and ifnding the calves are too tight... are they quite generous?
I have no other brands to compare to I'm afraid, if it's any help I was a 12/14 on the bottom half when I bought my Bromonts and was just between a standard/full leg. I went full to avoid putting too much pressure on the zips and regretted it.

I've since chubbed up a bit to a definite 14 and just bought another pair of the Heritage II Ellipse, went for full again and they're spot on. They're also a nicer shape around the ankle than the Bromonts as they're more fitted. No issues with slippiness for me with these but my saddle is calf skin so adds a fair bit of grip that the boots don't have I guess.

The ankle bit really bothers me. I got some new HY equestrian boots. They are beautiful to look at but they don't half rub my ankles (one in particula) and give me terrible blisters!

oldie48

I was going to suggest the ariat bromonts which are insulated. I've had mine such a long time they predate them having different calf sizes. They are very warm and haven't collapsed at the ankles despite them being quite generous on the calf. I find them too warm for the better weather but for hunting I would think they would be perfect.