What practices in the Equine world have shocked you?

stormox

Visit site
Obviously the training of the 'Big Lick' gaited horses. And that taking place in a so-called highly civilised country!
But here in the UK, at a big livery yard/competition centre where I kept a horse for a few weeks there were liveries who were regularly sedating their horses before riding. They would come up every day and groom, try on their latest bling bridles and rugs and chat. The horses were stabled all the time even though they had access to paddocks (cant turn him out he goes ballistic!!) On the rare occasions they rode they would give their horse a bit of sedolin beforehand, then mount up and walk slowly round the indoor school for 10 mins. What those poor animals needed was an hour or more hack out each day-they must beout of their minds...

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Obviously the training of the 'Big Lick' gaited horses. And that taking place in a so-called highly civilised country!
But here in the UK, at a big livery yard/competition centre where I kept a horse for a few weeks there were liveries who were regularly sedating their horses before riding. They would come up every day and groom, try on their latest bling bridles and rugs and chat. The horses were stabled all the time even though they had access to paddocks (cant turn him out he goes ballistic!!) On the rare occasions they rode they would give their horse a bit of sedolin beforehand, then mount up and walk slowly round the indoor school for 10 mins. What those poor animals needed was an hour or more hack out each day-they must beout of their minds...

OMG - sedaline to ride with - or was it a magic calmer ??

Onyxia

Visit site
hackney-pony-cpt.jpg

Ahh, so that is the look the rollkur lot are after :rolleyes:

Like others have said, little shocks me now. Too many cases of abuse for vanity have left me convinced there is no depth that some will not sink to for a ribbon and a cup.

Some things,like rolkur do disgust me.

Lack of turn out always has and always will be my biggest peeve- it is IMP essential to a horses mental and physical health.

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Nothing in the horse world shocks me more than the people in it. As they come up with the practices and carry them out.

Sometimes meakes you horrifies to be human :( especially those who say everything they do is NH when its clearly just a brutal method.

I could be here all day just naming what I hate but I just make sure me and mine are well and healthy and sign petitions for the things that are out of my control :(

RutlandH2O

Visit site

Yes, the US is a highly civilised country where a despicable, minute percentage of the population, mainly in Tennessee, engage in the barbaric, unspeakable practice of soring their horses. The more their shocking behaviour is publicised and reported to the general public (reporting it to people like us is just preaching to the converted), the more pressure will be placed on the authorities to seek stiffer penalties for the perpetrators. The culture of cruelty surrounding the TWH, all in the name of greed and the admiration of their peers, is long-established and set in stone in the rural outback that is Big Lick country.