What Price???

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Okay looking for an older horse, preferably something heavy legged with some feathers, as its the type of horses ive got used to riding and feel more comfortable with.

Was wondering if anyone can give me the max price I should spend on one?

Im not looking for one with pedigree bloodlines, i just want a nice horse that I can hack out on, take lessons on and generally fuss over and spoil rotten. Not looking to compete, so would really just be a big family pet.

miamibear

Visit site
Generally cob types with feather are going for a lot of money - thats the trend i think. Plus these are usually the types that make good safe family horses, they are like gold dust.

Looking for aomething older though will drop the price a bit and it depends what height you are looking for 14 to 15.2hh horses fetch quite a bit. Bigger ones are not as desirable.

These are just observations and there may well be exceptions to the rule.

Look on www.horsemart.co.uk for some ideas

Kelly1982

Visit site
I could nick you a few that are tethered down the road from me
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Seriously though i think it depends how much your willing to pay as they go for all sorts. Dont think i would pay more than £3,500 though.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I know exactly what you want...... A Cart horse X. Mine was a cart horse cross thoroughbred which had the stamina of the carthorse but the speed of the thoroughbred. 100% in the heaviest of traffic, go first or last and controllable in all situations including the hunting field. Best place to find them is on the Essex marshes.

The other alternative is go down to Dingle in Co Kerry and get yourself an outsized skewbald cob.

If you buy one in as a (broken) 6 year old you need to knock them down to about £2,600 at this time of year.

Rambo

Visit site
Don't discount them just because they're dealers. A good dealer is a far better source of quality horses than many private ones imo
shocked.gif

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Ive just heard so many horror stories about dealers that its frightened me to even go near one! Co. Kerry is a bit far away for me to travel, unfortunately.

Ive seen loads of ads but majority of them are going on about how great the horses bloodline is etc. I just want a plod who would rather spend its time being groomed and fussed over than being at a show competiting as im never going to do that

Kelly1982

Visit site
Why dont you do a search on horsemart or something, put in the max your willing to pay (with no minimum price) and see what average price comes up??

Agree with Rambo about dealers as you have got more come back on them if things to go pear shaped and of course they have reputations to protect otherwise they loose business BUT you probably will end up spending slightly more money and you will have to be careful about what dealers you go to so do your homework first.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Yeh, def agree, i have a lovely cob- TB x Clydesdale. Love her to bits, shes 100% in EVERYWAY! However, they are expensive. Flo is 22 now so had a look for another very similar and they were like £4,500!!!!

Flo-
LWF0006.jpg