What qualifications do EDT's need?

EventingMum

Visit site
Sadly at present in the UK anyone can carry out tooth rasping ie rasp off small overgrowths and sharp enamel points without any training or experience. Such procedures are referred to as category 1 procedures and should only be done with manual rasps. Other procedures in this category are bit seating, removal of calculus and removal of loose deciduous caps.

Category 2 procedures can only legally be carried out by EDTs who have passed a DEFRA approved exam such as the BEVA/BVDA exam or WWAED exam or by vets. These procedures include include use of power tools to remove sharp enamel points and dental overgrowths, the extraction of teeth or fragments with negligible periodontal attachment, the removal of erupted wolf teeth and palliative rasping of fractured and adjacent teeth.

Further information can be found here: http://www.baedt.com/home_5303.html

Members of the BAEDT have to undertake regular CPD and be suitably insured. There are many unqualified people practising with varying levels of competence and unfortunately not all owners are aware of this.

Hope this answers your question :)

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Sadly at present in the UK anyone can carry out tooth rasping ie rasp off small overgrowths and sharp enamel points without any training or experience. Such procedures are referred to as category 1 procedures and should only be done with manual rasps. Other procedures in this category are bit seating, removal of calculus and removal of loose deciduous caps.

Category 2 procedures can only legally be carried out by EDTs who have passed a DEFRA approved exam such as the BEVA/BVDA exam or WWAED exam or by vets. These procedures include include use of power tools to remove sharp enamel points and dental overgrowths, the extraction of teeth or fragments with negligible periodontal attachment, the removal of erupted wolf teeth and palliative rasping of fractured and adjacent teeth.

Further information can be found here: http://www.baedt.com/home_5303.html

Members of the BAEDT have to undertake regular CPD and be suitably insured. There are many unqualified people practising with varying levels of competence and unfortunately not all owners are aware of this.

Hope this answers your question :)
Yes my ex yard owner used to have a rasp, people paid for this, she told me my horse needed done... two weeks after I had an EDT do them, lol!