What qualities should a 3.5t horse box have?

sitting_pretty

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to buy a 3.5t box and have spoken to numerous manufacturers, all who claim to build the best and rubbish others for various reasons! But when one says something is gospel and another totally disregards it it gets a bit confusing...

So what would you say is necessary on a 3.5t box? Obviously I know it needs a reinforced bulk head etc but I'm more interested to know what the best materials used to build the bulk head are and so on.

Also if anyone knows of a lorry aged 2012 up with a fairly low mileage featuring all these qualities please let me know!!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Welcome to the world of horseboxes!

Bulkheads can be steel (round or rectangular tube) - which is heavy - or alloy (tube ditto) - which is more expensive....

But are you totally set on a 3.5T? Taking a test to drive a 7.5T (assuming you have a post-97 licence and need one) is unlikely to cost more than £1000, which you will probably save on the discount 7.5T trade at......

blitznbobs

Visit site
The problem with a 7.5 tonner is not the licence(I'm old so can drive one anyway ) it's the plating whereas you can get a 3.5 tonne thru on an mot.

Payload is an issue if you want to carry 2 horses, I personally would go for a stallion confit so there is no issue with them getting their legs stuck. Other than that consider automatic and the age of the chassis is important too... And then it's up to you which bits you'd like to have.

turnbuckle

Visit site
The problem with a 7.5 tonner is not the licence(I'm old so can drive one anyway ) it's the plating whereas you can get a 3.5 tonne thru on an mot.

Payload is an issue if you want to carry 2 horses, I personally would go for a stallion confit so there is no issue with them getting their legs stuck. Other than that consider automatic and the age of the chassis is important too... And then it's up to you which bits you'd like to have.

That is, I'm afraid, SERIOUSLY off the mark. The "plating" is a few quid more than an MoT, but really isn't any tougher at all. And the testers are very experienced. You get the odd nit-picker, but in general, it's all sensible stuff.

PS Stallion confit? Is that what VERY naughty entires get turned into?

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Realy depends on what payload you need.. I had a BOSS SUPA lite 3.5 ton till I sold in the spring, I had a payload of 1250 and that was fine for two lightweight polox ponies and tack and me and rider... The bulkhead was well re enforced, collapable b bar, no way for horse to jump into grooms area, it had a full height wall and a door... Low inviting ramp with pull down top door... Eva rubber on floor and walls...good height inside lorry, I had a 17.2 in there once ok..
Look for one with low centre of gravity, better road handling and ride for the horse.

Annieryan

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to buy a 3.5t box and have spoken to numerous manufacturers, all who claim to build the best and rubbish others for various reasons! But when one says something is gospel and another totally disregards it it gets a bit confusing...

So what would you say is necessary on a 3.5t box? Obviously I know it needs a reinforced bulk head etc but I'm more interested to know what the best materials used to build the bulk head are and so on.

Also if anyone knows of a lorry aged 2012 up with a fairly low mileage featuring all these qualities please let me know!!

I went to see a company yesterday about a new build on a 62/63 plate Renault master. He seemed to think the bulk head didn't need reinforcing. He said the bulkhead would be strong enough without reinforcement. Utter rubbish. They were trying to sell me something that looked pretty!!
I personaly don't care what it looks like I just want something safe!

SarahWeston

Visit site
I would be very wary of any 3.5 tonne horsebox with a breast bar or partition. Horses, even small horses, are jumping these and becoming stranded over them or in the living area for a pastime. I would look for one that is fully stalled.

sitting_pretty

Visit site
Thanks all, payload isn't a massive problem as I only have one horse.

I see a lot now have a standard stallion configuration, took my boy out for a test drive in one and he seemed to struggle to get his balance a bit, I think because he's used to being in a trailer with a breast bar to support. Also I thought, what happens if you have to do an emergency stop? Will he just smack his face on the wall in front? Or can I have a breast bar installed without it being impractical?

It really is a minefield of companies making these, I saw one a few days ago that was a brand new conversion that I can only really describe as tesco value... Frightening!

Spottyappy

Visit site
I've not seen any 3.5t with a "stallion" configuration. I'm assuming you mean with no breast bar?
I can't imagine it's that different to travelling herringbone, to be honest, although I would always rather have a breast bar.
Build quality is definately the main thing.
I had the most fantastic one built by CW horseboxes in Amroth, Wales. I'm not sure if He still builds, but the boxe was superb. The trade off was payload was 900kg, but I only travelled one horse at that point so was not an issue.

Abacus

Visit site
A solid build and enough payload for what it is carrying - which might be one horse or two small ponies. No more.

With the newer 'stallion' configurations with the solid wall, I have seen many that are too short for a large horse and would be careful to measure if going to see one. In general they have increased the overall size and weight of the box by having a separate groom's area, many of which are very luxurious and well fitted these days - but of course heavier.

Of course the downside of the type with breast bar is that the horse might go over it, and even on a good day they tend to spray hay all over the groom's area, so some modification to prevent this is useful. I would always want a wider rear door on this type, to get the horse out if it does go over the back - but weave grills, etc, might be better. I do like the breast bar type though, as the horse can lean his chest on it, while still having lots of room for his head and neck to move.

Otherwise, strength is everything, as well as mechanical soundness of the vehicle.

Apart from that it's down to what you like - cupboards, living facilities, etc...

scats

Visit site
I have a Nissan Interstar conversion- same as a Renault Master. It was done for me to my spec this summer. It takes 2, but I have removed the partition and I only travel one. I feel it's a bit too squashed for 2 personally, plus I'd be very close to the weight limit so prefer to just take one out.

Has full opening doors at the back, incase of emergency, I could get horse out back if need be. I have a seating area to the left of jockey area, with storage underneath. To the right I have a cupboard with saddle rack which keeps it dust/hay free.

I have an opening window from cab through to horse area so I can keep an eye/ear out and even chat (or sing, poor horse!) to my horse on the journey.

I had mine built by a very reputable company, told them exactly what I wanted and got it. It is a very safe, sturdy and secure van and I absolutely love driving it.

oldjumper

Visit site
Strength, safety, reliability, horse comfort. Anything else is a plus. This co. have those priorities (they'll add on frills if you want them but bear in mind payload). I've had one for 2 years and can't speak highly enough. Adjustable/removable partition and breast bar and separate 'tack room' so nothing to jump over. All our horses load/travel v well in it. It's proved a comfy ride/drive for humans/dogs too!
http://www.thoroughbredhorseboxes.co.uk/new-van-transporter.htm

claireandnadia

Visit site
I have the fully enclosed stallion box but opted for a breast bar too in case they like to lean. I rent mine out and personally I travel without the breastbar but most of my customers keep it in. To me, it defeats the whole object.

Thanks all, payload isn't a massive problem as I only have one horse.

I see a lot now have a standard stallion configuration, took my boy out for a test drive in one and he seemed to struggle to get his balance a bit, I think because he's used to being in a trailer with a breast bar to support. Also I thought, what happens if you have to do an emergency stop? Will he just smack his face on the wall in front? Or can I have a breast bar installed without it being impractical?

It really is a minefield of companies making these, I saw one a few days ago that was a brand new conversion that I can only really describe as tesco value... Frightening!