what rug?

MarvelVillis

Visit site
what weight rug is everyone using atm? or no rug at all? just at night or during the day too? should my un clipped horse be naked overnight in the stable? im doubting my self at this point. i would appreciate someone else's input/ opinion/ what everyone else is doing.

The rule I tend to stick to is if it goes below 10 degrees then rug, if not they'll be fine, especially unclipped.

I put a no fill on my 3 year old WBxTB for when it's raining and when it goes below 10 degrees (then may consider a liner too). Last winter, he stayed in a no fill for the majority of the time, and had a 100g liner on overnights some nights when it got quite cold. He is quite a hot horse though so I don't need to wrap him up too much.

Callieann

Visit site
Both of mine are in 200 gram with neck covers. Very exposed field on top of a hill with no shelter. I vary the weight of the rug depending on weather conditions.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
My unclipped connemara is in during the night and won’t see a rug at all for turnout. Might have a fleece in the stable if it drops below 0 but depends if she’s already wet, if she’s dry then probably not. Her stable is well sheltered from wind and she has a nice thick bed and lots of hay to keep her warm. Although she has less fat to lose this winter so maybe I will take pity and pop a fleece on more often.

shamrock2021

Visit site
My horse is currently clipped so is in 250g with a nack. (If she was unclipped she would have rain-sheet during the day and a medium rug at night)

Last edited:

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I find this a bit like saying "What are you wearing today?" as everyone is different, and live in different areas etc. I understand why you are asking but I do think you get to know your horse.

J is a hot horse. He spent last winter in his 0g turnout if it was 2 or more of the following: cold, raining, windy. he had his neck on for a few days where it was persistent rain (heavy) or really super cold wind.

He has an irish clip, is an irish cob and will follow the above again.

I don't change turnouts for stable rugs so if its cold he stays in his rug, if its hot he wont.

Littlewills

Visit site
it doesnt matter what other people do. Rug the horse in front of you. I have one naked and one bundled up in a super heavy weight rug and liners. Both are very happy.