what saddle do you have on your high withered big shouldered tbs

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
as title.....looking to upgrade his saddle. he is currently in a wintec 2000 gp which fits him okay. He has huge shoulders that have always pushed his saddles back so has to have a 16.5" seat and a wider girth as long girth groove.

im looking at jaguar, albion, kent and masters and throrgood.

anyothers?

_Annie_

Visit site
My younger lad is a high withered, big shouldered beastie, I have the older version thorowgood t6 hi wither & it's a great fit on him.

A friend has a similarly shaped tb & the hi wither t4 is fab on him.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My younger lad is a high withered, big shouldered beastie, I have the older version thorowgood t6 hi wither & it's a great fit on him.

A friend has a similarly shaped tb & the hi wither t4 is fab on him.

I quite like the look of the T8 Compact High Wither but it only goes down to 17".....looking at the other thorowgood saddles only the pony ones are 16.5"

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My retired one was like that and I had a Black Country event. It was Medium but had wither gussets/inserts. I don't know what size they go down to but they do come up a bit small. My 18" is clearly smaller than an Ideal and LM saddle I have which are in theory the same size.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
17.5" N/M Albion K2 Jump on my 17hh high withered big shouldered TB only saddle that doesn't move or need a pad underneath BUT I did have the flocking adjusted by a local saddle (cost c.£50) to create more room for her shoulder movement

Spotsrock

Visit site
A sensation with creative shimming! Trail for competition and a hybrid for day to day which means when he throws some shapes I'm nice and secure!

soloequestrian

Visit site
Balance International Horizon. Also goes on my cobby type Welsh D cross. They both love it, as did my late TB mare who was conformationally between the two. Just use a slightly different padding system for each horse.

Micropony

Visit site
I had a high withered big shouldered WB and Kieffers fitted him really well. My friend has a high withered big shouldered TB and has the same models of GP and DR saddle that suit him really well too. My new horse is a completely different shape with a much flatter back, and I have ended up with an Albion but I miss my Kieffer horribly, it was so comfortable and supportive.

They are adjustable if you don't get a really old one, but you do need a saddle fitter who has the right equipment to do the tree adjustment properly. Have seen horrors when dodgy saddlers have for example just bunged in a load of flocking to make it narrower and the poor horse is then subjected to rock hard lumpy panels.

wkiwi

Visit site
Many TBs in Australia and NZ go well in Bates saddle. I jumped one of mine in a 16.5" Pessoa medium fitting if that's any use.

dixie

Visit site
Pessoa's are meant to be good for big shouldered horses and adjustable.
Also my Black Country Wexford has a "freedom" tree which is also quite flexible around the shoulder.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Not a TB but a very High withered, large shouldered WB. I have a Black Country (not sure if the model buts it's a 'very slightly' jumping saddle- could be the Wexford ) gives amazing clearance & the hollows she formerly had behind her shoulders have now disappeared since having it, so much so that I had to have quite a lot of flocking put in about 6/7 months after initial purchase! Highly recommend this brand for high withers.

Last edited:

Custard Cream

Visit site
I've got a 17.5" T4 hi-wither in brown that I used for a long time on my mare that had the same issues - every other saddle was pushed back and down at the front.

It's sat in my understairs cupboard as mare is now in foal - could sell it I suppose?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Only half a TB (the other half being Shire), but she has huge shoulders and shark fin withers. The Thorowgood T4 high wither has done the job for the last few years.

Valonty

Visit site
I have a very high and hollowed withered TB and he also has big shoulders and I have an Ideal Jessica dr saddle as well as an Ideal Patriot for jumping, hacking ect. They both fit him fab and he is a really hard shape to fit.

BarnesBridge

Visit site
I have my high withered TB boy in a Kent & Masters high wither GP saddle. Fits him a treat! Love it, I have the one with moveable knee pads and it's also comfortable for me too! (Also important!)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a patriot made by ideal as a jump saddle which was recycled from another horse and reflocked for him and Albion platinum royale for dressage which was made for him.