What score would you give this test?

Cheiro1

Visit site
Did an unaffiliated prelim at a local riding club over the weekend.

There were bits of the test which I wasn't happy with, however overall I was very happy with it. I was however disappointed with the score.

I struggle with gauging scores though so; what score would you give this test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3_8ku-EQDo

I appreciate the filming isn't perfect so I was just after a range rather than totally specific :)

paddi22

Visit site
i love your horse!

nice test, pity about the horse fly attack, it messed up a few moves for you. You can see where you would lose silly marks on accuracy on circles etc, as you aren't riding each quarter evenly. If he was a bit more forward in the walk you'd gain more marks there as well. Canter he looks a bit behind the leg as well. But hes very sweet and id be curious to see what the actual mark was.

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Cute pony. There were a few funny moments and he was a bit inconsistent in the contact (especially in the free walk) and rhythm. I'm also rubbish at gauging marks but if I'd ridden that test I'd expect early 60s, sort of dependant on how harshly the judge penalises the fly attacks.

eggs

Visit site
Somewhere between 58 - 62 ?

Some judges will be very picky about the inaccuracies in the circles, others will be picky on the contact issues. It is a tough one at unaffiliated as it really does depend on how encouraging the judge wants to be - I've seen tests similar to yours marked at high 60s

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
It’s going to be really hard for people to answer that as you can’t really see half the test lol, especially the important bits like the FWLR which is double marks.

However, he’s fairly rhythmic, but definitely needs to be more in front of the leg and coming through more from behind, which will improve the consistency of the contact.

I would say, from what I saw, about 63/64%.

_GG_

Visit site
Probably 60-61%.

It was an okay test, but if you ride the movements more accurately you'll gain easy extra marks and I'd maybe think about warming up more in Canter as it gave his trot work more energy. It was a shame about the fly attack, but that would only have affected a few movements so wouldn't have had a massive overall impact on the score. I'd say that if you could work on impulsion, getting him in front of your leg and more uphill, he'll come into a more true self carriage. He is round, but it doesn't travel through his back always, so it creates an inconsistent frame. If you can get him a little more forward, not faster, just more forward energy, he'd carry through his back more and the carriage and importantly contact, would be more consistent.

He is lovely, I really like him, but it looks like he has learned how to go to make everyone happy without him having to exert himself too much...it's why he falls through the downward transitions a little...to keep the transitions clean, you need more forward energy, not less as it is what maintains the uphill balance through the transition.

Don't be disheartened though. You rode it well and there is a lot there to be very positive and happy about and certainly the foundations of some really lovely tests! :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I would also say 58-62%. Up until the FWLR I'd have said 60-65 but you'd have lost marks on contact and rhythm there, as well as lack of stretch, and as PP says, there are double marks for that - followed by the fly/spooking which then unsettled the LR canter. The canter on the other rein was much more settled though.

ihatework

Visit site
It depends on how lenient the judge was being for unaff tbh.

From the comments I was expecting a worse test than it was for unaff prelim.

Sticking my neck out I'd say 6.5-7's for some of the early trot work and 6's for the bulk of walk & canter work. If there were any marks for just transitions anywhere you might have picked up a 5.5, and you also might have got a 5 for the fly incident.

On average I'd guess in the region of 62/63%

Theocat

Visit site
I started out putting you on about 64%, then revised it down to 61% as the test progressed. Lots of easy marks to pick up, and I agree about getting the horse more forward. I agree with _GG_'s comments.

Looks like it must have been roasting hot, which won't have helped the energy!

oldie48

Visit site
TBH it's impossible to give a % for an unaffiliated test, I've seen tests like yours get 70% at PC level and 60% with a judge who is more on a level with BD scoring. I can't add anything to what GG posted as I think she summed the test up really well and there was a lot to like. I also throw marks away with inaccurate riding (and going wrong) so I'm also working on improving my ring craft. Are you going to share your score as I'm now intrigued?

Cheiro1

Visit site
Thanks guys, interesting, if a little depressing, to see that a lot of you would give me even lower than what I did get!!

I got early 60's, he dropped to a 5 for his free walk which was always expected but would hoped for more 7's for his trot work.

He's been out getting 66/67 at novice so was quite disappointed to get low 60s at prelim for a test which didn't feel that weak. (did one prelim and one novice).

The getting him more forward is an on going problem, he is only 7 and being a big horse he's taking a long time to mature but it's finally coming. It's only this year he's really learnt to hold any balance at all in canter. Had a lesson last Tuesday and we were working on getting him to take a slower but longer more correct stride so maybe I went too slow and not enough through.

Thanks for all the comments :)

Anyway, onward, tomorrow is another day! :)

Bryndu

Visit site
Hi...
Love this horse :)
TBH....a score of low 60's due to the following:
Rider inaccuracy.....shapes and arena riding need work....but that is easy with help :)
Horse a bit unbalanced hence the tripping up a lot...nothing transitions can't fix :)
TBH the fly thing would not lose you that many marks :)
Horse not always working from behind in to a consistant contact.....again transitions will help this..
I also saw the horse behind the saddle seems to dip lower on one side .....I am sure it is nothing serious....might benefit from a Bowen session? But would be something judges may keep looking at? I know I did...
You have much to look forward to.....can't wait for the next video :)
Best of luck
Bryndu

eggs

Visit site
The problem with unaffiliated is that there is such a big discrepancy in the judging.

There was a lot to like about your horse - he is very obedient and did a lovely square halt. I just found myself clicking as your test went on as I felt the energy levels were dropping. Make sure you show your horse bends on the circles and turns and doesn't stutter in the downwards transitions and your marks will improve.

If the test was filmed on Saturday you did very well in the muggy heat.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I also saw the horse behind the saddle seems to dip lower on one side .....I am sure it is nothing serious....might benefit from a Bowen session? But would be something judges may keep looking at? I know I did...
Very nice horse, but I have to say that I wondered this, too. I wasn't going to mention it, but seeing as someone else has noticed it... His quarters seemed to me to dip lower on the right, it's visible when you rode across the diagonal in trot at about 50 seconds in. Maybe he's tweaked something?

only_me

Visit site
Probably around 60-62%

From watching the video from start to finish:
Hard to see how straight you are, but looks nice and straight in centre line. but 20m circles weren't really circles & too large, sorry. Came off diagonal a bit late & contact a bit inconsistent. Next circle a better shape :)
Need to ride into corner a bit more before the trot-walk transition & then would have been more accurate (would have made it from a 6 into an 8 imo :) ) good walk & accurate half circles too. Good obvious change from medium walk into free pity about the flies! Canter transition ok, next circle not a great shape. Better off the diagonal and smooth transition into trot. Better circle but remember it should only be one stride on the straight at each quarter point of circle (max 2). Late off next diagonal but smooth transition into trot. Nicely ridden up into centre line and good halt :)
Lovely rhythm which was mostly same throughout test & horse appeared obedient to aids apart from flies. Accepted contact although at times was inconsistent. Could have been a bit more forward at times but then I think you would have come into the pushing out of balance zone and appeared rushed, so for me, I'm happy with his speed/way of going at present for a prelim test :)

Now that is just my take from watching the video - apologies if I have offended you but promise it's not intended :)

I use dressage diagrams to learn tests which is really helpful to learn accuracy and the movements from, we always score well in accuracy but I don't ride in a dressage arena at home just in a field :)

Last edited:

Cheiro1

Visit site
Ok so I am off to give myself a good slap and vow not to let him down next time.

I'm not offended by any of the comments by the way :)

only_me

Visit site
Ok so I am off to give myself a good slap and vow not to let him down next time.

I'm not offended by any of the comments by the way :)

You don't let him down! Accuracy is something we all learn and no one is ever 100% accurate :) it's a sport and would be very boring if we all were perfect ;) no one has ever scored 100% in a dressage test!!

claracanter

Visit site
Well done for posting your video. I would never be so brave. I would say early 60's too. I hate that test, FWLR through to canter bit I find so difficult, you made it look a lot easier than me and my boy.

Piaffe123

Visit site
Can't watch the video as at work but wanted to comment - please don't ever think you let your horse down. None of us are Carl Hester and our horses don't expect us to be! Accuracy is a pain and something I've tried to work on for years and years and years and it is still always commented on in dressage, it doesn't come overnight that's for sure :)

Kikke

Visit site
I don't think your accuracy was that bad tbh. and I am very strict on accurate test riding.
I would say that apart from your riding (which I think is nice and quiet) I would struggle to give more then 5s for the collective scores and your FWLR and ofcourse they do count as double.
Do you normally compete on grass because some horses do find that more difficult contributing to not always tracking up and being slightly behind the leg.
In general I would say early 60s would be my score as well but I do also think your riding is making up for lots of things that were may not so nice.

Pigeon

Visit site
For what it's worth, I would have expected to see about 65% for that test, you guys must all have met some mean judges! We've gotten mid sixties for tests far worse than yours. Yanno what, stick to novice. We always score lower in prelim too.

Accuracy is an easy one to lose marks. And an easy (ish) one to work on. It is worth remembering that these judges are watching the same tests, day in day out - of course they will get bored and nitpick certain elements - they see the same mistakes repeated constantly! This is why I always aim for that bit of extra sparkle. (which more often than not goes horribly wrong, but at least I provide some light entertainment) I think with your guy, you have calm, you have obedient and round, you have all the basics. At this point I would start pushing a little bit, for that extra impulsion, uphill tendency and suppleness, which may at first work against you (mistakes, coming above the bit, 'cork out of bottle' transitions etc) but will be worth it in the long run. And yeah, ditch prelim! ;)

Lovely, lovely horse! You should do the BD Gypsy Cob series!

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
I don't think your accuracy was that bad tbh. and I am very strict on accurate test riding.
I would say that apart from your riding (which I think is nice and quiet) I would struggle to give more then 5s for the collective scores and your FWLR and ofcourse they do count as double.
Do you normally compete on grass because some horses do find that more difficult contributing to not always tracking up and being slightly behind the leg.
In general I would say early 60s would be my score as well but I do also think your riding is making up for lots of things that were may not so nice.

Collectives have to generally follow the test marks. So to give 5's yet expect a low 60's score overall would mean you are giving approx 65 (or 6.5's) for the main test on average. No listed judge would do that.
At very worst I would say the collectives for that test would be 6/5.5/5.5/6 although that would IMO be in the harsh side.

For anyone who isn't sure how/why marks are allocated then writing out affiliated is very eye opening and educational.

Don't be too disheartened, there was lots to like in the test and a foundation to work on.
If you can be persuaded then I'd suggest doing affiliated prelims (don't need to be a paying member). BD isn't perfectly consistent by any means but it is far more consistent than unaff

Cheiro1

Visit site
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of you taking the time to reply! and for the kind comments :)

No we don't ever normally compete on grass, and I am always worried about the horses slipping, so that probably didn't help! We do school on grass at home but don't need to do such tight turns!

For what it's worth, I would have expected to see about 65% for that test, you guys must all have met some mean judges! We've gotten mid sixties for tests far worse than yours. Yanno what, stick to novice. We always score lower in prelim too.

Accuracy is an easy one to lose marks. And an easy (ish) one to work on. It is worth remembering that these judges are watching the same tests, day in day out - of course they will get bored and nitpick certain elements - they see the same mistakes repeated constantly! This is why I always aim for that bit of extra sparkle. (which more often than not goes horribly wrong, but at least I provide some light entertainment) I think with your guy, you have calm, you have obedient and round, you have all the basics. At this point I would start pushing a little bit, for that extra impulsion, uphill tendency and suppleness, which may at first work against you (mistakes, coming above the bit, 'cork out of bottle' transitions etc) but will be worth it in the long run. And yeah, ditch prelim! ;)

Lovely, lovely horse! You should do the BD Gypsy Cob series!

Thanks, yeah we are aiming to do more novices. They suit him more as there is less time for him to lose attention/fall asleep as something else happens :)

That little bit of sparkle is the thing we need to work on, I need to be brave and risk the errors for the potential of a much better picture :)

PS...he's ID not gypsy cob ;) ;)

Thanks again for all the kind comments guys, I won't tell him you all think he's lovely or he'll get a big head ;)

Mike007

Visit site
If my ID did that test ,he would be on extra carrots for a month! I do agree that lower 60 s is about right though . At least your lovely horse doesnt have four left hooves like mine!

oldie48

Visit site
Hi, please don't take offence but he's a teeny bit porky, hence I think he was mistaken for a gypsy cob? I know it's difficult to keep our horse's weight down at this time of year but I've never had a horse that didn't go a bit "behind the leg" and shuffly when he was carrying too much weight. They just lose their sparkle and desire to go forward especially if they are working in hot weather.

_GG_

Visit site
OP - It does look better now I've watched in on the laptop screen as opposed to the little phone screen I watched it on. I'd still say around the 63-65% mark as I can see more now that what I thought was him on the forehand a few times, actually wasn't, my apologies.

He really is lovely though and I too would say that going affiliated could be a really good thing!

Marydoll

Visit site
I think in general it was a nice test, well done, you did throw away marks in your accuracy that were up to you to get, itll come better the more tests you do, but can be worked on to nail it at home
While he looks nice imo he needs to be more forward with a bit more impulsion, not speed and thatll help with the contact blips.
Transitions, transitions, transitions within and between the gaits while you warm up and lots of shoulder in to help get him more supple
He showed little stretch in the free walk again another area worth working on as its double marks.
please dont beat yourself up, you did a nice test, but you can do little things thatll get you more "easy marks" and keep the marks, accuracy in your arena geometry is one of the things you can do thatll boost the marks quickly, the rest youll have to work on like the rest of us. :)

Cheiro1

Visit site
Hi, please don't take offence but he's a teeny bit porky, hence I think he was mistaken for a gypsy cob? I know it's difficult to keep our horse's weight down at this time of year but I've never had a horse that didn't go a bit "behind the leg" and shuffly when he was carrying too much weight. They just lose their sparkle and desire to go forward especially if they are working in hot weather.

I can feel all his ribs without pressing, he's just a very deep broad horse, he isn't fat :)

Pigeon

Visit site
That little bit of sparkle is the thing we need to work on, I need to be brave and risk the errors for the potential of a much better picture :)

PS...he's ID not gypsy cob ;)

Haah sorry I didn't know you could get them in black and white!

Yeah I think it is about taking a bit more of a risk! And although it can be hit and miss when it works it is so worth it!