What shall I do?

LaurenBay

Visit site
Need some advice and wise words from you.

The opportunity has arisen for me to take on a full loan. I have been sharing a lovely mare for around 4 months and we have been getting on very well. The owners are just lovely too. The owner has decided she would like to travel and further her career so she won't have as much time for the Horse. She messaged me and said I have first refusal and ideally she would like me to take on the Horse. The yard is lovely and nearby and the mare is settled there. I also have made quite a few friends there already and one of my best friends are there.

So what's the problem I hear you ask. well I already have a Horse who is fully retired. When she was in full work I did struggle a bit financially. She was on an expensive yard and I couldn't get a sharer for her (due to the in and out of work and rehab work) also we wernt allowed to job share so the my livery would quickly rack up with the added jobs.

If I was to take on my share the owner has asked if she can share once a week and I could also potentially find another sharer. I could also job share to save costs. I've never full loaned before but what happens if the Horse goes lame? I am fortunate enough to have my own field so I could always turn the mare away if needed. I don't want to lose the Horse as she really is a diamond and we have been coming on leaps and bounds.

Heart says one thing and head says another. Me and my partner are trying to save for a house at the moment and I am worried about costs. I know I have the time to do her as I've had my own for 7 years so am used to the time comitment.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I would speak to the owner and share your concerns. Ask if there is an option for the owner to find a second sharer - rather than that become your responsibility. Explain that you could commit more time but not much more money. If the owner wants the horse well looked after on yard you are all happy with and you both like each other it may be that the owner is happy to keep contributing if you commit the time elements.

A loan is just that - if you change your mind or the horse gets permanently injured you can just give them back (it's the risk the owner will have to take)

Work out what you can reasonable afford and see what the gap is

Spottyappy

Visit site
Is it a full loan, though, if owner still wants to use her a day a week.
I think you maybe need to stay as a sharer, otherwise, the owner will be sharing her own horse. And that doesn’t quite make Sense to me!
Think you and the owner need to do a bit more chatting, as taking on a horse with all its expenses may not add up, when the owner is still involved.
Especially, as the owner seems to be getting the better Deal! You pay for everything but she still rides one day a week,hang on! Not quite right.
Definitely worth chatting as you love the set up and horse, however, and seeing if you can come to a sensible sort of arrangement, especially financially but also time wise.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Is it a full loan, though, if owner still wants to use her a day a week.
I think you maybe need to stay as a sharer, otherwise, the owner will be sharing her own horse. And that doesn’t quite make Sense to me!
Think you and the owner need to do a bit more chatting, as taking on a horse with all its expenses may not add up, when the owner is still involved.
Especially, as the owner seems to be getting the better Deal! You pay for everything but she still rides one day a week,hang on! Not quite right.
Definitely worth chatting as you love the set up and horse, however, and seeing if you can come to a sensible sort of arrangement, especially financially but also time wise.

This.
A full loan doesn't usually involving sharing with the owner on a weekly basis.
I can see why you would want to keep your involvement but I'd probably be looking at a very carefully worded agreement, which spells out exactly what the arrangement is, who pays for what, etc.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Is the mare currently insured for vet fees? I think you need to include a discussion about what would happen if the mare needs more than routine vet intervention, in your chat with the owner. On balance though it does sound as if the arrangement could be made to suit all parties as you are both happy atm.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
If the owner is still riding then I would say you were sharing rather than loaning. For me the key question is who covers the costs of vets bills and if the third sharer drops out who is liable for their share? Think what you are happy with and have a good chat with the owner - much easier to agree things now.

Hope it all works out for you :)

AandK

Visit site
Honestly? I don't see the point of getting a horse on full loan to then get a sharer for it. If the reason you were just sharing in the first place is due to finances, (and you say you want to start saving) then I would suggest the current owner gets another sharer to look after the horse along side you, or you look for another horse to share.

wingedhorse

Visit site
It sounds like she wants you to take on all the risks and rewards of full loan, all the responsibility and decisions, and full care responsibility and she wasn't to revert to a once a week share position. I'd expect you to be making all the decisions on a full loan, and taking all the vet bills etc. Only you know if the benefits of doing this are worth it.

I am an owner with two sharers. But I very much know the decisions on yards, feeds, rugs, vets, dentist, farrier, health care, maintenance, body work, routine, balanced workload etc. are mine as OWNER. It sounds like the current owner in your situation wants you to take on the full responsibility, so she can step back, pay a fixed £15 and ride once a week.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Ok so this is the deal:

The owner is 19 and wants to work in the city and start a career, she cannot do this with the Horse as she doesn't have time for her as it is and feels it isn't fair (the Horse was bought for 2 sisters and 1 sister has lost interest, leaving the other doing every day). Therefore she will look at full loaning her so that she can have a break both financially and to find herself a good job. In terms of cost I would pay for everything however the owner wants to continue paying insurance, has said that if Horses sweetitch flares up she will pay for any treatment and the Horse also needs a leg cream from the vets for a bad cracked heel, owner also wants to buy the cream. In return she would like to do a day a week to keep her hand in. If the Horse were to have any new injuries or lameness then this would be up to me. If the Horse is long term lame then I would hand her back or turn her away with my retired mare, although they said they would take her back.

I am free to be able to do as I wish, including switch feeds, change turnout routine and bedding ect. They are also not against the idea of me getting another sharer if I wanted to. But they have said they would prefer not a child which I agree with. I can also change yards if I wish.

I said I would sit down and give it a good think and get back to them by end of the week as I need to be realistic with what I can afford. I really do like the Horse and I really gell with her. I rode last night and jumped her for the first time. I haven't jumped another Horse in 7 years other then my now retired mare so it was a huge deal for me and the Horse was perfect, very honest and forgiving and flew everything I pointed her at.

A contract will be signed with all of the above.

My only concern is the owner wanting to ride once a week, she is a very good rider (much better then me!) but its more that how will she find a change of routine for her Horse. She might not like what I decide to do. It might be tricky to change her mindset (I know I would struggle!)

I have spoken with my OH and he has said he thinks I should go for it, the owner wants to do a yearly contract which is fine with me as OH and I were talking about starting our own family in a years time so time wise would be perfect (I did tell this to the owner last night)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am willing to bet that the one day per week will drop off when the young woman gets settled in her new career, with new colleagues. So, if you are prepared to take on the horse full time, or to have responsibility for finding a sharer and making sure that they do their share, as your OH thinks it is a good idea, I would go for it, with his support.

meleeka

Visit site
I got my horse under similar circumstances, except I bought him for £1. The owner continued to visit and ride occasionally, but that got less as her career took off and I haven’t seen her for a few years now. Quite the opposite from being critical, she was incredibly grateful that I solved her problem and she was still able to see him. It sounds like the yearly loan would suit you so as long as your contract is watertight I can’t see a problem.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I can't see everyone's reply?

So anyway, I have decided not to go ahead. I am gutted but I also feel a sense of relief, I guess I was panicking about the money side of things without realising I was. I have thanked the owner for thinking of me and I have wished her best and said I can share until they find someone else. So I will have to find another share I think.

Pippity

Visit site
I can't see everyone's reply?

So anyway, I have decided not to go ahead. I am gutted but I also feel a sense of relief, I guess I was panicking about the money side of things without realising I was. I have thanked the owner for thinking of me and I have wished her best and said I can share until they find someone else. So I will have to find another share I think.

I've recently ended my share arrangement, due to various changes in the owner's, the horse's and my lives. I'm going to miss him a lot but, as with you, there's also a sense of relief - and that relief confirms for me that I'm doing the right thing.