What should I be feeding my cob?

Fjord

Visit site
The original post is from 2013. I'd rather feed hay (soaked or dry) than put a good doer in a field of long grass. @Tasha xx would you be able to move the fence into the long grass a little bit at a time?

Tasha xx

Visit site
I have a (non-Welsh) cob and TBH, the best measure of how much grass is in the field is not too look at the grass, but to look at how much he's pooing. His paddock looks more or less bare, and I move the electric tape a little bit every day so he has something fresh to nibble, but he's still pooing plenty, and maintaining, rather than actively losing, weight. So there's clearly more grass in there than it looks to me! Good doers are hard.
On very short grass, I always like to offer a bit of hay both ends of the day.
Even for my retired fattie, it's good for their digestive system to have a bit of bulk to sweep out their system and keep it healthy.
You could soak the hay if you're concerned about calories. The grass in your spare paddock has probably gone over a bit now in terms of sugar levels, so is there the option to strip graze onto it, if you'd rather not hay?
that’s great help thank you xxx

Tasha xx

Visit site
On very short grass, I always like to offer a bit of hay both ends of the day.
Even for my retired fattie, it's good for their digestive system to have a bit of bulk to sweep out their system and keep it healthy.
You could soak the hay if you're concerned about calories. The grass in your spare paddock has probably gone over a bit now in terms of sugar levels, so is there the option to strip graze onto it, if you'd rather not hay?
Yes there is this will be her second night on the longer grass … so is longer grass better than very short as a lot of people have said different things over it xx