what should i do

laura05

Visit site
i took sasha to the vets yesterday as he has been very lame and the vets couldnt find a reason.They nerved blocked her and took xrays they have found out the reason is her feet have been shod way too long and shoe hadnt even been put on straight i was so mad as always have her feet done every 6 weeks paying money to a fully qualified person thinking the best care was being taken she has been in such pain with this hardly being able to walk

Hersom

Visit site
1 Ask your lawyer
2 Ask the farrier for his version of the story.

It all depends on the depth of your pocket. The farrier will have professional insurance. Negligence would be a serious issue.

Don't shout at him and don't tell everyone - that could put you in the wrong. Yet. Be business-like (Hard to do, but this is business) and see where you stand.

Don't get mad, get even.

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear that, I would change farriers with immediate effect!

Have her shoes been taken off now?

[/ QUOTE ]
echo that!!It makes you wonder how some of these said farriers manage to pass their course dosnt it
mad.gif
!!Plus side is it is repairable it will take time to correct!!Just remember there will be a possibility of your horse going lame after the first few shoeings due to the new farrier altering the shape and axis of hoof!!Happened to my boy,1st 3 shoeings after 2wks was lame,however this was only a temporary problem,he has fab feet now!!
laugh.gif

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for that advice she is going to vets on friday to have them done with there farrier using the xrays

[/ QUOTE ]
I am sure with good shoeing and time she will be back to normal!!
smile.gif

Tiffany

Visit site
How long's your farrier being shoeing her? I think I would ask the farrier why he had shod her this way and explain what the vet's said. If he is qualified and experienced he won't want this sort of publicity - it could put him out of business! He may even offer to contribute or work with your vet to get her right.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
First thing is to get the shoes removed & see how your horse is then. I would also want to speak to the farrier & find out why the feet were treated like this & see what he has to say. Depending how he reacts to these questions I would be tempted to take further action by reporting him to the Worshipful Company of Farriers & let that body investigate what happened. They are the Farriers ruling body.
http://www.wcf.org.uk/

laura05

Visit site
i had to change farriers 8 months ago as moved yards didnt notice any change for the first couple of times but then she started walking as if foot sore over stones .After that she kept going lame on and off but two months ago brought her in from the field and she was crippled could hardly walk vet came put her on bute but couldnt find anything wrong.shegot much better but never sound then two weeks ago the exact happend and she was taken in for the tests.
i have had her for 9 years always had the same farrier until canged yards to the new one which was too far away for old one to travel. In that time she had never been lame or had any problems.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
And it took nerve blocks and x-rays for them to discover that? Surely it was obvious to the eye??

Or are they suggesting that there is an imbalance in the foot that needs rectifying - that really only would have been discovered by x-raying.

laura05

Visit site
no it wasnt obvious to the eye as she is a big girl with littleish feet for her breed they only looked as if they just needed trimming and yes there is an imbalance to the foot

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
no it wasnt obvious to the eye as she is a big girl with littleish feet for her breed they only looked as if they just needed trimming and yes there is an imbalance to the foot

[/ QUOTE ]

Imbalance can't always be spotted by the naked eye - you do quite often need an x-ray. (We have a horse on my yard with this problem, only recognised from x-rays). If there was nothing externally amiss with your horse, then I wouldn't be quite so quick to criticise your farrier. Some do like to shoe horses longer in the toe than others - mine being one of them.

If by all appearances your horse was shod properly - then together with your vet, farrier and x-rays hopefully the imbalance can start to be corrected.