what should i do?

samsaccount

Visit site
i am so annoyed right now!!
a couple keep their horse with me on diy livery.
the girl is due to give birth any time soon, i sent them a letter offering to help out due to the baby so close to arriving and they told me (rather rudley) not to help. i looked after her over xmas because they didn't want to come up over xmas because they would have famlily over (they live in walking distance of the yard) i was away over xmas meaning i had to get my mum to drive me home to sort the horses out then drive back to my family then back home so i was home to sort them out in the morning (whilst they were at home and in walking distance) and yesteday i went to sort my boy out at 9am and her horse was still stabled at 2pm (and had run out of food and water) and i still had not heard from them, so i have mucked her out, turned out, fed etc for two days and no-one has come up or even spoken to me! i have tried to contact them but no luck. what should i do? should i charge them for what i have done? any advice would be great thanks.

but i am just extreamly annoyed that she didn't even come as a second though to them, granted they will have things going on, especially if the baby has come, but is a text/call too much to ask for? but surely the welfare for their horse, a live animal should also be a priotiry (sp?)???

Broodle

Visit site
Have seen your previous posts about your situation and it sounds like a real nightmare and your livery is really taking the p*ss... whatever her personal situation at the moment. I cannot for the life of me understand why she has refused your offer of help, but she must have her reasons I suppose.

Anyway, I don't think you should charge for the help you have given so far (will just stir up bad feeling), but I do think it would be a good idea to set out some charges for turn out, mucking out etc. and tell her that for the horse's welfare you will perform these duties in the future if they are not done by her and will charge her accordingly. Perhaps also tell her she can only do this so many times before you will ask her to move her horse??

Good luck - hope it improves.

samsaccount

Visit site
I offered to help because i KNEW this was going to happen so i am not suprsied but i am suprised it has been two days and i have not had contact with them (i have been unable to get in touch with them)
I told them in the letter i sent them saying if i did anything i would expect payment, kind of thought that charging them (and them not been happy about it) may make them take charge of their own horse in future.

Thank you for your advice and good luck wishes

samsaccount

Visit site
Just heard she has had her baby, and her husband came up last night. I was on the yard at 8ish (my boy was been a little swine) so what time was he thinking of feeding her? But he came up and never came in to speak to me, and he hasnt been up today either. To know this i have had to ring her mum who lives downsouth to ring him and then ring me back!!!! What if something had happend with the horse? But he is apparently now just going to turn her out next time he comes up, the poor horse has a routein for two weeks, then is left in the field for a week, then brought in for a few days, then turned out full stop again. Maybe it is me but i cannot stand a mess in a routein so often like that

Broodle

Visit site
Oh dear - what a kerfuffle! I hadn't realised (or had forgotten) that you had already warned them that you would charge for any work. On that basis I'd say bill them when you do eventually see them, and explain how upset all this has made you. Try to avoid laying into them - no matter how tempting! - as this will only put their backs up and is unlikely to change their attitudes I'd say.

Am a wuss myself and avoid any type of confrontation, so is a bit ironic me telling you to be so brave...
blush.gif

samsaccount

Visit site
It was when i offered my help, that any help done i would expect a small fee for.
But i am just not sure how to handle this, i understand i shoudln't lay into them but to an extent i think her husband should be laid into as it is up to him to sort the horse out as she cant if she is busy having a kid. So i don't want to p*ss them off but don't want to not react enough and cme across as a push over.

Happytohack

Visit site
I am not surprised you are extremely annoyed. Enough really is enough. I have read your previous posts and really feel for you in this tricky situation. If I was you (and I am not known for my diplomacy!), I would simply tell them (not ask) that as they have a new baby and have obviously not got the time to look after their horse, that you will be looking after it for the foreseeable future and charging them accordingly. I would also quote the new Animal Welfare Act that makes YOs and livery yard managers etc., responsible for the welfare of horses at their premises/in their care. This will probably make them look around for other premises, but TBH what have you got to lose? If they go, then good riddance and if they stay, then it is on your terms. Your recent posts have simply reinforced my reasons not to take liveries!