What should I do?

Footlights

Visit site
I viewed a horse recently and tbh was pretty shocked when I got there. The poor thing was so skinny, its neck had absolutely no muscle on it it, with hips, spine and ribs clearly visible too. The man said that's how he gets in the Winter, and then come the Spring when the grass grows through he is fine.

In my opinion, no horse should look like this ever, whether it is a TB, Cob or if it is Summer or Winter.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this poor horse since and feel so bad for leaving it there, but I doubt the RSPCA will do anything.

I am considering going back and buying it.

Has anyone else bought a horse in a similar state? Did you just hay hay hay to start with? Did you keep it stabled until weight was up, or turn it out straight away? Was weight down to not getting enough food, or could it be ulcers, teeth etc?

classicalfan

Visit site
Don't buy it. It may sound harsh but it encourages unsrupulous sellers. What better way of getting rid of a suspect horse than allowing it to fall into a sorry state in order to find soemone who will want to 'rescue' it and hand over cash.

Save your hard-earned cash for something worth buying that won't cause you untold problems and heart-ache.

sarelis

Visit site
I took a TB that looked like a hat rack on loan years ago, got the weight on him & he turned from a placid, quiet horse into a rearing, plunging ball of fury!! Turns out he had scared his owner witless (should have realised when she said she was going to loan him out & get herself a nice, quiet cob!! Hey ho, I was young & stupid lol) so she kept him poor to keep him manageable.

Footlights

Visit site
That's awful, poor horse. Surely it would have been better being pts than kept starving just so it was manageable.

Anyone got any sucessful stories!?

Little Alfie

Visit site
That's awful, poor horse. Surely it would have been better being pts than kept starving just so it was manageable.

Anyone got any sucessful stories!?[/QUOTE]

Don't really know yet (hopes)
Rescued little alfie from beaing tied up by an old car seat at the side of the road.
Boney as hell he was. That was in October since then he has come on fine and grown about a hand to boot.
He's a lovely little fella, if i knew how to post pics i would.
The wife is a softy, we got another one just last week, poor thing

Tammytoo

Visit site
Showaddy1 recently bought a skeletal tb that was being sold as a riding horse. There are some pictures of it on her albums page. Last we heard he was starting to put on weight and was a real sweetie.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
One of my liveries bought one from a field. He was a TB (sired by a Derby winner) and a bag of bones. He and another poor horse had no water in the field either. Sadly, I don't know what became of the other one. But the TB that my client rescued hardly stopped drinking for the first month. I guess as water was so short where he came from he over compensated. He had awful diarrhea for around 6 months too. We fed him on good quality haylage that was not too moist, and just nuts and alfa A. He took around 8 months to look 'good'. Sadly it turned out he had kissing spines and so my client has still not ridden him, though she plans to reback him this summer as his back seems to have come right with steroid injections and lots of physio.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
In answer to your question, OP. What I would do would depend on whether I had the space for him and what he was like underneath the poor body condition. If he had good conformation, had a nice temperament, and seemed happy to have all his feet picked up, back palpated, walked and trotted up nicely then I would probably buy him if the price was very low. If he was not something I could see could make a nice horse given the chance, then I would report to the RSPCA and Horse Welfare.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Agree with Wagtail - if you have the space, then maybe worth a punt - but as someone else said - be aware that when the weight goes on, the horse may be very difficult. It's not hard to get the weight on, as long as there are no underlying issues, but whether it's manageable is another matter. Go with your gut instinct. Good luck.

Footlights

Visit site
Thanks for all your comments.

He picked up all his feet nicely for me and his feet were actually in ok condition, I trotted him up and down the road and he was sound, and he seemed very chilled - although I would guess he had no energy.

The reason for sale seemed genuine, but I suppose you just never know. The owner is happpy for me to take him on a trial period too.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments.

He picked up all his feet nicely for me and his feet were actually in ok condition, I trotted him up and down the road and he was sound, and he seemed very chilled - although I would guess he had no energy.

The reason for sale seemed genuine, but I suppose you just never know. The owner is happpy for me to take him on a trial period too.

The I would go for it!

Footlights

Visit site
Thanks, that is my gut feeling but sometimes you get it wrong!

I think I will go and have another look at him because I didn't think to check his back, I think was too shocked from the sight of his spine to be honest.

He is advertised for £500, would you offer less considering the condition he is in?