What should I do?!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
After struggling to get Chico to load I had a professional out last Thursday. After 20 minutes he was loading fine into an open trailer (both ramps down) and then with front ramp up but someone with him in the trailer.

I have been practicing all week and he has been doing great. Had planned to take him to our local show to try a clear round jumping course before bringign him home.

So did our practice today and it didnt go well.

I had the front ramp up, lead him in, tied him, made sure he was settled then left him to go round and open the front ramp, praise him, move breast bar and lead him out.

Went fine twice but the third time once he was tied in the trailer he started to fidget and get all het up, slow trotting on the spot etc. When i lowered the front ramp he was still agitated and i hadnt even got the breast bar down before he took himself off the ramp.

Once he was off he was fine, trying to graze on the grass.

HOWEVER.......he then refused point blank to get on again :(

It's only been a week and he's back to square one. I am starting to think me may be claustrophobic.

What do I do?!

Polos Mum

Visit site
What did the professional do to get him loading so comfortably?
What did they recommend to keep him going in nicely?

Do you think you were a little more tense as you've planned an outing now so it's more than just practice?

Any chance he just got a bit bored with going in and out? No idea on his personality but would he get figity if you did the same schooling exercises over and over again?

ZondaR

Visit site
I did exactly the same as you. Got a pro down, she had him loading before she left, I did all the practice for the next few weeks and my horse was fine. Then I loaded him one day and we went somewhere and suddenly we were back to square one! I started again until he was loading fine, we went somewhere, back to square one. Seems the horse doesn't like it when the horse box moves.

I got a dually halter. I have to have the front ramp down and have someone standing with the back bar ready to put up as soon as he is in. There is always an argument, he rarely goes in first time. Funnily enough, when it's time to load to go home, he will go in first time.

When the box is moving he spreads his back legs so there is no partition and I don't take another horse with him.

I know a lot of people disapprove of the dually halter but my horse won't load without it.

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
When is your show ? I personally would'nt repeat the exercise too much without going somewhere, ie. Load and drive off, even if its only around the block ( assuming he's settled enough to do so) try and do this for a few days to build up to the show, could you not ring the professional and ask for advice x

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
What did the professional do to get him loading so comfortably?
What did they recommend to keep him going in nicely?

Do you think you were a little more tense as you've planned an outing now so it's more than just practice?

Any chance he just got a bit bored with going in and out? No idea on his personality but would he get figity if you did the same schooling exercises over and over again?

She worked with him on the ground for a few minutes then by the trailer then he just started going in.

She said he would be fine to carry on going in as he didnt do what he did today when she was there.

No i wasnt more tense as doesnt matter if i go or not. I am always really relaxed when loading him.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think you would have stopped and ended on a high after the second time. He's restless, bored, not seeing the point. Try the yummy feed in a trailer tomorrow, treats galore, then off and turned out or other thing he likes doing next time.

TallulahBright

Visit site
Do you have a friend who could do what the professional did? If I had been the only one involved in loading training there's no way Lula would load now. I needed someone to tell me to ****** off and stop fussing when she danced around. SSSOOOO hard!!! However, now I have a horse I can load alone without fuss or dancing. I still half expect stress and leave enough time for stress but now am early everywhere!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
he was getting treats everytime he went in and after each stage of the process so he was definitely interested in co-operating but he just gets scared once he's in and the ramps are closed.

Cant think of how to stop him getting panicked.

The professional told me to load at least 3 times each day, so just following orders!

RachelBristol

Visit site
once loaded and you go somewhere... don't. go round the block.. unload, treat, and re load, and unload again, next time twice around the block etc.

Horses get upset if they don't think they can get home, they are a flight animal, and home is a safe place to be when they dont understand or are fearful of something. so you need to ensure that they are happy that they will be returned home, therefore the loading and unloading is only a part of the whole process.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think the above suggestion to call the pro and get some advice over the phone. If he was really genuinely scared there is no way she would have got him loading happily in 20 mins.
From what I can see he's a big fit inteligent horse that if he didn't want to do something he just wouldn't!

Can you repeat the groundwork she did to get him to listen to you before you move onto the trailer.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
he was getting treats everytime he went in and after each stage of the process so he was definitely interested in co-operating but he just gets scared once he's in and the ramps are closed.

Cant think of how to stop him getting panicked.

The professional told me to load at least 3 times each day, so just following orders!

I would do it at different times, tedious, but it's a new experience every time. I did this with my boy for his feet, he was a terrible cow kicker, still gets impatient but tolerates the experience better if I don't do it all at once.

thehorsephotographer

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Funnily enough I've just read a thread about a ladie's horse suddenly becoming bad to load and travel after years of being a diamond and going out a lot to various shows etc. People suggested removing the central partition and giving him more space - which had worked for some, the most interesting response however was from a lady who's OH friend works for a trailer company and he advised they had the damper (part of the hitch) on the trailer checked.

They had it checked and it was found to need adjusting/replacing, whatever. The trailer company said as it was when the trailer was on the move it would feel to the horse like he was trying to stand up through an earthquake! They got it changed, did a few short journeys and the problem has gone now. So may be worth checking your trailer hitch. Might not be a horse loading problem at all given he's been so good in the past.

Bernster

Visit site
May not be what you want to hear but when I had an issue with my boy I had a few sessions with an IH trainer who was brill, building up slowly and then practising myself. Then small test runs to familiar places with friend there to help for the return journey. Plus I did a 2 day course although that involved more than just loading stuff and was more of a riding break. Mine wasn't a terrible case either, just that I needed the time and practice to work out how to deal with the issue and learn to react in the right way.

ridefast

Visit site
Sounds like it may have become too consistent and he was anticipating the ramp coming down again. Does your trailer have a window? What's he like if you take all partitions out and travel him loose?