What should the maximum number of dogs that a professional dog walker should be responsible for at one time be?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Rather than derail the current discussion of the recent tragic event, I've started a new thread.

In my view, never more than 4 dogs per competent adult in open areas, and the walker(s), should have at least as many leads as dogs at any time, and be prepared and able to use them.

Two dogs on leads in each hand is more than enough for anyone. Tbh, a limit of two dogs per competent adult in public would IMHO be preferable.

fankino04

Visit site
As a dog walker I never walk more than 2 at a time but that's my choice to enjoy my stress free walks, it certainly reduces how much I can make when there is a limited time window in a day that people want their dogs walked. Oh actually I do have an occasional client I dog sit for who has 4 dogs so I take them together but only because they are from the same household.

[153312]

Visit site
I don't know how you would manage with poo picking up with more than 3/4 unless they were very well behaved.

it's doable....the most I have walked at one time is 4, and we had an 'everybody SIT!' command which meant they all stopped whatever they were doing and came and sat behind me so I'd know where they were whilst I was faffing round bent over/fiddling with nappy sacks etc. But these were mine/close family members dogs. I wouldn't walk that many of someone else's I must admit (I am not a dog walker!)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It's dependent on size really isn't it. I have 3 labs and I wouldn't want to have any more in the case of an issue. Ideally I'd say 2 but probably not very cost effective when you are a walker. I'd say absolute max of 4 if they were small ish dogs.

Very relevant point. The dogs I walk are all small. Large dogs would be maximum of 2.

meleeka

Visit site
As a dog walker I never walk more than 2 at a time but that's my choice to enjoy my stress free walks, it certainly reduces how much I can make when there is a limited time window in a day that people want their dogs walked. Oh actually I do have an occasional client I dog sit for who has 4 dogs so I take them together but only because they are from the same household.

I think 2 is enough. You only have two hands and one pair of eyes so I think that’s plenty. I have walked 3 dogs when looking after one, and it was awkward. I think it would take too long to put leads on 3 when needed.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Where I ride, there is 1. A ban on anyone walking more than 4 dogs at any one time and 2. All professional dog walkers have to purchase a licence to walk there.

This was introduced in 2019 and made a huge difference immediately, the dogs that do go rogue are usually solo ones with ineffective untrained owners.

The land is privately managed common land, so the regs were no problem for them to implement.

misst

Visit site
I struggle walking 3 - all family dogs all small terriers. However one of mine can be reactive and so can my daughters so at least one of those two is on lead at any one time so I can keep my eye on the other reactive one and get on lead if needed. My JRT is super easy and has good recall but I don't think even if they were all like her I could do 3 off lead. We walk on the common and in the adjoining woods mainly. I have had all 3 off lead on a large open field but they had balls to carry so are more focused. This does not seem to work on woodland paths.

I look at the big dogs (labs GSD Retrievers etc) round here and can't see how anyone can hold more than one in each hand if there is a problem - they are so strong.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Where I ride, there is 1. A ban on anyone walking more than 4 dogs at any one time and 2. All professional dog walkers have to purchase a licence to walk there.

This was introduced in 2019 and made a huge difference immediately, the dogs that do go rogue are usually solo ones with ineffective untrained owners.

The land is privately managed common land, so the regs were no problem for them to implement.

Many Council's are implementing byelaws governing how many dogs can be walked on council owned land. Three council's around me have a limit of 4.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
When I lived in London in the 70s, there was a lady dogminder in Bayswater who used to walk about 12 dogs in Kensington Gardens. I don't know how she managed it but there were never any problems. I used to join her with my own dogs.

There were plenty with their own single dogs that were totally out of control.

misst

Visit site
When I lived in London in the 70s, there was a lady dogminder in Bayswater who used to walk about 12 dogs in Kensington Gardens. I don't know how she managed it but there were never any problems. I used to join her with my own dogs.

There were plenty with their own single dogs that were totally out of control.
I suspect the lady was a different kind of person to most multiple dog walkers these days. (I did not say all). The ones round here seem to do it as a job to fit round the kids and for cash. Which is fine with the cockerpoos and the mini schnauzers and the JRTs but not so good with the big ones.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Two dogs of any size per person. That's what greyhound people have to do.
My experience of people walking small dogs does not change my view.

Re fouling, I live in an area where people walk one or two dogs and take no notice of them, there is shit everywhere, I have had to hose down my boots every day this week. I lift at least 9 per day, it's not difficult if you are paying attention and watching, most people are too busy chatting, are on the phone or are miles ahead of or behind the dog.

Clodagh

Visit site
I walk five at a time in my daily fittening up route marches that I know well. If I go to the moor or the beach I’ll take a max of 3 if I’m on my own. Only because it’s not very relaxing walking the whole lot together, with 2 or 3 it is heaps easier.

eta I didn’t answer your question. 4 if walked by a pro. Not that I would ever let anyone else walk my dogs.
And they should all be in lead in public places (pro dog walkers taking them out, I mean).

Last edited:

MissTyc

Visit site
My walker used to take 4, max 5 if several from same household. She didn't do big dogs and was a good dog (and horse) person. People talk about cost effectiveness. I paid £15/walk, which is the norm around here. My walker did 2 group walks per day, always full with a waiting list + a "big walk" on a weekend for up to three dogs for £20/each (driving them out to the country/forest/etc) + AM and PM she did visits to help owners with injections, medication and pet sitting smaller animals and cats etc ... It's not a massive income, but she did well off it. When she retired, I decide to hire a pet sitter instead and have her play with my dogs in the garden. I don't want them out and about with strangers any more.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My dog sitter is only allowed to walk 4 dogs at a time more than that she has a second person walking with her. They’re usually small to medium sized family type dogs the largest being labs.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I walk 3, all my own, a small a medium and a large. They are very well behaved and although every single time I go out at least one person says "you have your hands full!!" I really don't. The only problem I've had is being attacked by 2 loose GSDs but they homed in on the big dog, I let go of all the leads and my other two went and hid in a hedge. We also have a beautifully choreographed manoeuvre for picking up poo without me getting all tangled up.

If I were a professional dog walker I wouldn't want to take more than 2 or 3 because I doubt they would be as well behaved as mine, and I wouldn't be able to protect them as fully if anything were to happen.

scats

Visit site
I think 4 if all small, 3 if one large and two small, 2 if both large.
I have 3 dogs- 1 large and 2 small. I walk them all together, big girl in one hand, little ones in other.

A few years ago I came across a dog walker in a local country park. She had 5 dogs and no control. 2 were off lead and a large one leapt all over me, nearly knocked me over and covered me in filthy muddy prints. I was not happy!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I desperately wanted a dog walker for Ivy and would have happily paid more for her to go out solo or in a pair. Couldn't find this being offered anywhere in my area. The one person I did go with in the end we didn't have for long. At best she was a bit clueless.

Four as an absolute maximum but I would not want my own dog to go out in more than a pair with a walker.

I also think dog walkers should not be meeting up while they are working (i.e., ending up with a pack of 8-12 dogs between two people). I have encountered this before, it was chaos. They were just stood around chatting oblivious to the dogs. It's not safe, professional, or fair on other users of parks/green spaces.

windswoo

Visit site
Agree with most people - maximum two big dogs, up to 4 little ones. However I don't know if I'd be happy someone walking my two dogs with other dogs, just because of how my two are with people and in a pack could possibly be more reactive, wouldn't be worried about the the dogs they would be with.
Do owners usually know how the dog walker walk their dogs? I presume it would be discussed, just asking as someone who has never had to use a professional dog walker as luckily got retired in-laws who like going for long walks!!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Our local "professional " dog walkers take eight and do not appear to ever pick up after the dogs. They have little to no control, as evidenced by the poo Cross that turned up at ours, we rang the number on his collar and his owner told us that he ran from the dog walker in reaction to thunder. We found this unlikely as the thunder was many hours prior to this. I think the limit should be four.

windswoo

Visit site
"Wouldn't be worried about the dogs they would be with" looks wrong - I meant my girls are brilliant with other dogs - however they do gain more confidence when other dogs are about and get rather bolshy.

Smitty

Visit site
My friend used one who posts on Facebook with videos of 5-6 dogs, mostly labs but a couple of smaller ones, charging through crops??. I can't think any poo isn't just left. I would be mortified if my dog was one of them and make other arrangements.

I think dog walkers should only use safe spaces, such as dog walking fields, as it is generally unsociable to have multiple dogs out in public.

I used to let a friend's 3 dogs, a JR and 2 collies out in her garden at lunch times if she was away with work. Initially she wanted me to take them across a busy road to playing fields the other side for a short walk. I refused as I knew very well I wouldn't be able to hang onto them and also didn't want to be involved in any incidents, so I used to sit in their garden for half an hour with them, occasionally chucking things for the collies.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I've met people out walking dogs that I wouldn't hesitate to meet even if I saw them come walking 10 dogs, and there's people I've met out walking 1 single dog that I hope I never come across again.

Since I'm not aware about having met any professional dog walkers, I'll take the closest example I can think of. There's a doggy daycare located near a bike path not that far from where I live, and their staff can have anything from 1 single dog, to 4, maybe 5 dogs (in varying sizes) when out walking "their" dogs. I've met them a few times out walking my then 3 dogs, but I've also gone past them several times on the shared bike path, and pavement, me with my wide box trike, sometimes with 1-3 dogs in the front box, but also at least once with a cat meowing as if she was being tortured (and not just in a cat transport on the way to the veterinarian), and I can only say that it has never been any problems with going past them, regardless of the number of dogs they've been out walking.

SilverLinings

Visit site
As @AdorableAlice has posted on the other thread, I think the possibility of licensing dog walkers needs to be looked at again. As a result of the pandemic puppy boom there seems to be a lot of newly set up dog walking businesses who seem to have no qualifications/knowledge/experience other than 'I love dogs' or 'I have owned a dog for X years'. Requiring them to have insurance, an understanding of dog (and potentially human) first aid skills and some sort of education/experience in dog behaviour would be a good start, plus a limit on the number of dogs that may be walked at any one time (as per this thread). It would also be a good idea for their transport to be checked too, as I've seen a couple of dodgy looking vans out lately- one where all the dogs are shoved in the single space together, and one that appears to have utterly inadequate ventilation.

At the moment there is no incentive for dog walkers (the ones who don't really care about/understand dogs) to do anything other than walk as many dogs in one go as possible for maximum financial gain, and there is no incentive for them to undertake any type of training, have a suitable vehicle etc.