What silly things does your YO moan about ?

maisiemoo

Visit site
As lovely as our small livery is our YO has a knack of making everyone paranoid about daft things, for example those who use shavings as bedding , get comments on leaving a trail when taking horses out of their stables , we all sweep up as soon as we can but for example tonight we were heading straight out for a quick hack before it got dark , me walking daughter riding , was i supposed to leave daughter on pony waiting in the yard ? swept up as soon as we returned , there was'nt alot of mess , horses neighing in the morning while waiting for their buddies to join them , livery has hoilday lodge's and YO does'nt want guest's disturbing , not allowed horse licks as they mark ther walls :confused:, horses pacing and wrecking fields we all do our best to work together at bringing in time , now one person on yard needs to ride in the school in the evening so YO has got a quote to get the light's connected , hence wants to put livery up for everyone , some of which never use the school :eek:

Mongoose11

Visit site
Shavings, licks, neighing - get a grip. Bringing in - annoying but understandable if others go absolute nuts in wet fields. Lights - fair enough.

My YO does nothing annoying - practically perfect in every way (so far) :p

Orson Cart

Visit site
Just like Billie (although we're not on the same yard!) I have the best pair of YO's ever known! Never moan about anything just lots of support, nice chats and giggles. Makes going to the yard a real pleasure. :D

Natz88

Visit site
YO doesn't moan about anything, he so laid back he may aswell not be there lol. He has a lady that is the YM who runs it for him & to be hoenst she doesn't moan often, only time she really moans when people let their dogs run about poo & not pick it up. Most people keep their dogs by their side so do just the odd few who don't & to be honest I am one to really moan about that :eek:

proudwilliam

Visit site
In a nice way there are 3 rules that have a justifiable hanging sentence.!!!

1 Not picking out feet when leaving a stable
2. Spilling water on the yard,
3. Allowing your horse to eat the hanging baskets or flower arrangements.

Karran

Visit site
YO is very laidback but sadly rather unhorsey. He was complaining the other day that the horses never eat the grass down evenly!
Had to explain about poo-spots!

weebarney

Visit site
Thank god i have my own place now but i once got wrong on a yard for putting buckets of water in for my horses as they had the water pressure so low the drinkers took about half an hour to fill and that was after they had supposedly turned it up.

debsg

Visit site
I have just left a yard and am now sharing some land with a friend. My previous YO asked us to VACUUM the cobwebs out of the stables before we left. I think this would be OTT if he was re-renting the yard to someone else, but no, he is going to pull down the stables and build holiday cottages!!
Anyway, we left the place in immaculate condition :D and well vacuumed!

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
I'm not on a yard any more but I must have been very lucky because all rules were for harmony or horse welfare. Your yard owner might be more picky if the live on site as after all is is their home. I have to remind my groom of this when she leaves rugs lying on the yard etc and doesn't pick feet of sweep up when she is turning out or bringing in - it is different when it's home.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Have to say, mine are great. Although according to some they moan about loads. Eg switching off lights when not using them, not taking the short cut across their garden with loose hay & leaving a mess, not leaving your dogs mess on same garden. Imo more than justifiable moans!

blackandwhite

Visit site
On our previous yard there was always a moan of the day on the whiteboard. :D

Our current yo is a professional sj and literally never moans about anything. Infact it absolutely does my head in the complete lack of OCDness about having the yard tidy! She gives haylage from the floor and it constantly being dragged about everywhere, I don't know how she can stand it!

She does have a reputation for being a bit of a dragon though so maybe we're all just extra well behaved for fear of a row :D

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My YO moans about lots......:rolleyes:

Feet not being picked out when bringing in in the dark, so mud goes onto the yard
Occasional trails of hay from hay barn (only found when its daylight, so must have been the day(s) before)
Muddy horses
Bedding occasionally left down the yard when Fuzzies turned out in the dark
Coffee flask going cold because I've left the top not quite done up :rolleyes:

My YO is a right old pain........ oh - thats me! ;) :D

rodeo12

Visit site
At my previous yard - everything: how much hay/lage given to horses, what brushes were used, whether lights were used or not, whether your horses headcollar was on on or off, the types of rugs you used, where you groomed - not being able to tie up outside the stables on some occasions, other times it being ok, whether you jumped in the sand school, whether you stood in a puddle or walked round the puddle. It used to be good - but I think I just got soo confused about what was acceptable on some days and what same things were unacceptable on other days. Probably a yard where if your face fits sort of thing.

Now, it's amazing. Initially, there wasn't moans as such, but just comments until I learnt the routine of things. Like whose haynets were whose, what headcollars were other horses (help with the others too for bringing in/turning out). But yea, love it now.

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
My YM doesnt complain against about occasionally we all get an email about making sure the yard is tidy or picking up poo in the indoor school...but appart from that its pretty good.

If you break a rule though you best beware!! normally if you do something wrong someone sees and she finds out eventually

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As a YO myself; here are my rules:

If anyone makes a mess, THEY clear it up! - not leave it to someone else. This would include all general stuff like shavings/straw, also trimmings from clipping/horses's main & tail "bits" plus I'd expect people to use a receptable for hoof picking and put on the muck heap; also farriers hoof trimmings to be chucked on the bonfire heap coz else the dogs eat it and sick it up :)

Gates/fences: no-one allowed to climb gates or fencing. Its expensive stuff to replace if someone damages it and/or causes the gate hinges to sag.

No horse to be left out in the field/yard on its own UNLESS the owner is happy with this.

No taps to be left running (we're on metered water here); and electric lights to be turned off if not needed.

No running or shouting in the yard.

No equipment, grooming brushes etc or mucking out implements to be left in the yard, or headcollars/ropes etc. (for safety).

No loose dogs in the yard unless specifically agreed with me the YO (we have sheep).

No smoking/strictly no alcohol.

No children on the yard without an adult being present.

But in practice, I tend to be flexible rather than rigid. For example, if someone leaves a trail of shavings/hay, or whatever, I don't stress about it as realise people are human and as long as the yard is left in a reasonably tidy state I'm happy.

But with "safety" things, then yes I do tend to be stricter TBH.

Misog2000

Visit site
Ha ha blackandwhite I was on a yard with what we called a 'moan board' too. Not there anymore, as the board was always full and we got fed up with it. My current yard is run by a dairy farmer who doesn't care what we do.....his only moan would be people giving their horses too much hay as it is included in our livery, and some really take the mick (4 sections of a big bale dumped on the floor, peed on and on the muck heap the next day!!) other than that its very laid back :)

Pedantic

Visit site
As lovely as our small livery is our YO has a knack of making everyone paranoid about daft things, for example those who use shavings as bedding , get comments on leaving a trail when taking horses out of their stables , we all sweep up as soon as we can but for example tonight we were heading straight out for a quick hack before it got dark , me walking daughter riding , was i supposed to leave daughter on pony waiting in the yard ? swept up as soon as we returned , there was'nt alot of mess , horses neighing in the morning while waiting for their buddies to join them , livery has hoilday lodge's and YO does'nt want guest's disturbing , not allowed horse licks as they mark ther walls :confused:, horses pacing and wrecking fields we all do our best to work together at bringing in time , now one person on yard needs to ride in the school in the evening so YO has got a quote to get the light's connected , hence wants to put livery up for everyone , some of which never use the school :eek:

What is it for FFS, a livery yard or a holiday home, if they don't like shavings and horse's neighing they should pack up doing livery, if holiday people don't like horsey noises and smells then stay in the city, kin people do my head in FFS :mad:

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
As a YO myself; here are my rules:

If anyone makes a mess, THEY clear it up! - not leave it to someone else. This would include all general stuff like shavings/straw, also trimmings from clipping/horses's main & tail "bits" plus I'd expect people to use a receptable for hoof picking and put on the muck heap; also farriers hoof trimmings to be chucked on the bonfire heap coz else the dogs eat it and sick it up :)

I second this esp when i have already swept the yard. But also when i haven't and people think i'll sweep their mess as well, if you make it, you clear it up.

That is my only real thing, apart from picking poo up from the schools, that MUST be done when you ride.
Luckily my liveries respect my yard (after all it is theirs too) and aren't too messy!

Kat

Visit site
Ours isn't bad really, but DH is driven up the wall by things not done "right" he has kinda high standards........ He weeds the yard, and trims the hedgerow along the drive, and goes nuts about the unswept yard, unforked up muck heap etc. He trained at one of those places where you can see your face in the yard and the muck heap is levelled with a spirit level. He'd be a dragon of a YO!

Kat

Visit site
Ours isn't bad really, but DH is driven up the wall by things not done "right" he has kinda high standards........ He weeds the yard, and trims the hedgerow along the drive, and goes nuts about the unswept yard, unforked up muck heap etc. He trained at one of those places where you can see your face in the yard and the muck heap is levelled with a spirit level. He'd be a dragon of a YO!

cptrayes

Visit site
My YM doesnt complain against about occasionally we all get an email about making sure the yard is tidy or picking up poo in the indoor school...but appart from that its pretty good.

If you break a rule though you best beware!! normally if you do something wrong someone sees and she finds out eventually

Ah, bobbymondeo, you are back posting again. Can you please take a look at your PMs and also your email intray or trash box to see my requests that you help me to get a refund from the Post Office on the knee blocks I sent you on approval that you tell me didn't arrive. I have been trying to contact you to make sure that they have still not arrived and to get you to confirm it in writing for me.

Thanks.

LeannePip

Visit site
im on a livery yard with just a couple of other liverys - yard owner is lovely but has good standards - luckily i do too so have no problems :) my favorite thing to do is stepping the muck heap :D i have started the steps and now muck must be tipped onto steps and then flattened down and trodden on a squared off and the concrete in front of the heap must be clear so no mess in front of it! then on a wed/monday and friday i sort it all out again and re level the steps and build them and square them off i could literally spend hours on my muck heap! how sad! i dont have a photo it so just googled for a similar one and couldnt find one to show how beautiful it was - so this is a closer representation! :D
ScreenShot2012-10-26at201531.png

but i was on a yard once that drove me potty one rule for one and one rule for another!! you couldnt lunge in the big school because it ruined the levelling and dug holes in it - unnless you were the yo's daughter , even once when my old horse was being investigated by the vet she needed to be walked and trotted in hand and walked in a circle on the lunge - this was not even allowed even though we argued that it was no different to walking round ON your horse and walking a circle! they would then let the kids in who would gallop around - hoplessly out of conrtol. you were looked down on and fully encouraged to not touse anything but snaffle or a bitless and god forbid you thought about using a flash. if you had to go to a show early in the morning you couldnt use the hose before 8am as the yard owners daughters bedroom was next to the washbox and it would wake her up - but then they wernt fussed if the fields wernt poo picked but would then moan to the ones who did poo pick (us) that all fields should be poo picked! and if you thought about going to a show with your own transport - if there was a space you would be activly encouraged to take one of the riding school children with you so you could look after it for a day! and the best one was that apparentlythe height of the arena fence was set to a certain height and you wern't allowed to put up a jump higher than it - it was about 3 foot - because this would ruin the surface :rolleyes: needless to say we wern't there long due to these and other welfare issues with some of the horses!

cobbles

Visit site
Well, my YO is my dad and he is a typical farmer so the silly thing he moans about is the actual fact there is a horse on the yard!!!!! Other than that it is our yard and our rules

Hen

Visit site
I have 2 horses on livery and 1 horse on a professional training yard and at neither location do I get moans of any sort - I kind of feel like possibly I have died and gone to horsey heaven!!! It's just lovely. I know my horses are lovely and easy but it's almost beyond expression to just be left to enjoy and get on with them.

Spyda

Visit site
What silly things does your YO moan about ?

Daftest thing I was ever moaned about by a yard owner was for putting hay out (in a neat pile close the the hedge line) for my young horse that was wintering out in a flooded, muddy paddock, at the time. Reason? Made the field look untidy. Really???? You had to see the rest of yard to appreciate the ridiculousness of that comment :rolleyes: