What size can I ride ?

burtondog

www.michellehudson.co.uk
I am 5ft2" and weigh just over 12st.

I have just sold a 16.2hh warmblood because (among other things) he'd grown too big for me (he was only 16hh when I bought him).

Now I am looking for a 15'3"-16hh ConnemaraxTB or IDxTB, which I think should be perfect for my height and weight.

However, someone has suggested I could get a purebred Connemara as small as 15hh. What do you think ?

Also, is a 'rising four' Connemara likely to grown anymore ?

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
I would imagine that 15.2 would be fine for you, 15hh sounds pretty small, but i'm sure smaller and heavier people ride below 15hh horses, try one out and see how it feels..

I think rising four would still have some time to grow in height but probably will change in shape as still growing.

Hullabaloo

Visit site
See what you feel comfortable with. A lot depends on the individual horse's build. Mine in a 16h tb x fell but I also ride my friends Welsh D who is 14.3 and I don't feel big on him as he is wider than mine. I'm 5'5 and not too dissimilar in weight to you (can't mention it as am in denial!).

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
with your height and weight you would be more than fine on anything from 14.2hh -15.2hh imo, as long as said horse has good bone density you could easily ride a 14.2hh, so this possible connemara would be fine

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
8-9inches is good bone density, by measuring the cannon bone just below the knee
smile.gif

Blaise

Visit site
I'm 5'5'' and still ride a 14.2hh mare as well as my 16.1hh all the time and i dont look silly on either of them. I should think you'd be fine on a 15hh Connemara
smile.gif

tabithakat64

Visit site
Ride whatever you are comfortable riding, I have a 13.2hh that I feel too heavy for, a 14.3hh Welsh D who is just about right and also ride a 14.1hh Irish cob and a 16.2hh, 5 year old Tb x, I'm the same height as you and way a little more.

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ride whatever you are comfortable riding,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, its not just height but also the build of the horse.

I have a 17.3hh who I feel fine on, but I prefer the 16.2hh because he is chunkier.

Im only 5ft 5 and am fine on chunky horses are small as 14.2hh, but I feel most comfortable on anythnig 16.2hh mediumweight plus.

Try out different horses of different sizes and see what suits!

Temperment plays a big part, my old 14.2hh was 200 times more trouble than my 17.3hh!
smile.gif