What size horse do you ride?

stangs

Visit site
5’4 and have recently ridden everything* from 12.2* to 16.3 - and feel the same, and comfortable, on all of them!

*only because horse needs as much work as it can get, and it’s a chunky type too: I try not to make a habit of pony squishing.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I'm 5'4 and my old pony was 13.1, my new one is 13.2 but he's only 2 so may end up a tiny bit bigger, he's quite a chunky native and to me looks bigger than he actually is. I used to ride big 17hh heavyweight horses when I was working as a groom, but now I can't imagine being able to get off from that height without embarrassing myself, I rode a friends 15hh cob recently, he felt huge and I very ungracefully slithered down when I got off ?

HorseMaid

Visit site
I'm 5'6 and my mare is about 15hh, it's the size I feel most comfortable on and it's easy to get on off the ground if I need to!

Blondiecopper

Visit site
Nice to see variations! I have always liked bigger horses but over the years have lost confidence riding.
still have a couple of biggies but looking to get another smaller. Isn't it funny how you change over the years and what you wanted 10 or so years ago changes?! The horse buying market is just bonkers atm though ?

fidleyspromise

Visit site
14.1hh (she is 1/4 inch away from 14.2hh) and I'm approx 5'6. I've had my mare 15 years and love her but I am heavier now than when I got her.
I do feel more comfortable on a 14.3hh+ and my next horse next year or year after I'm hoping for around 15hh. (Please ignore my position as we had a few discussions in where was best to take off).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-01 193254.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-01 193254.png
    964.7 KB · Views: 32

oldie48

Visit site
I'm 5'4" and have owned and ridden anything from a 13.2 Connie to a full up 16.2. Current ride is a 16.2 Irish horse, who is quite substantial. I seem to look OK size wise on a range of different horses but felt less secure on my whippy 15.2 tb because his neck was set on a tad too low. He had me off on so many occasions (still loved him though!) because there was nothing in front of me when he had a "moment".

Blondiecopper

Visit site
I have a 15hh and I'm 5'10 but she's a chunkster (Dales) so takes up the leg just as well as my last horse who was 17.3hh. In fact she wears a lot of of his tack too. Imo build and bone are at least as important as height.
I dropped the big horses after too many vet's bills.
Know that feeling!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’m nearly 5’8 and Mimosa is only 15hh. I do feel like a pony squasher.

I’ve ridden everything from 13.2hh to 18hh at my height. I think a 15.2hh partbred Arab, Anglo Arab, Spanish, or decently wide thoroughbred is the best technical fit for me. I’m currently the heaviest I’ve ever been though so I really need to sort that out to ride Mim.

Pipps

Visit site
I'm 5ft9 currently riding a 15.2, was previously riding a 14.3 but she had a right barrel to take up my leg otherwise I think I'd have looked a little too tall