What size horse do you ride?

atropa

Visit site
I'm 5'4 and have a 14.1 native, a 16.1 WB and a 16.3 ISH. My favourite to ride is the 16.1, my 16.3 can feel very high off the ground whereas my 14.1 spends most of her time with various feet off the ground.

Mule

Visit site
My horse is 16.1 and I'm 5, 2" so there is a height mismatch. At the same time he has lovely gaits and his canter is very comfortable. I've been riding other horses recently and a lot of them have uncomfortable/weird canters in comparison. I'm not saying that has anything to do with his size but it does make him more enjoyable to ride.

I am planning to get a smaller horse next time around because I can't mount from the ground out hacking, which is a pain.

He also has a long, low set neck and is very much built for galloping. It took a surprising amount of work to lighten his forehand. I will be pickier about conformation next time I'm looking for a horse.

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’m 5ft 6 of solid build. My oldie is 16.1hh but has such a high wither he rides more like a 15.and is of a medium build. Obviously at 26 he’s not a chunky as he used to be but he’s not got a lot of bone.
Ww9efH3.jpg

My 12yr old is 16.2hh and of chunky solid build.
JiLwz4w.jpg

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am five feet five inches and have had all sizes from 15.3 to 17.3 .
I never buy anything that’s wider than a MW saddle if they look to me like they will mature to wider I don’t buy them .
Although I do manage to ride Blue a bit and he’s a wide fitting .
My choice is 16.1 .

I'm Dun

Visit site
I'm about 5ft4 and mine are 14.2hh and just short of 16.2hh. A very very heavy weight cob and a TB. They couldnt be more different if they tried.

Skib

sites.google.com
I am 5 ft 3 or 4. I share a 15.2 ISH at the moment. My old share was also 15.2 and my favourite Connie was about 15 when grown. My trusted RI told me not to buy anything less than 15 h. For old crocks like me the height is not a problem. I have ridden 17 h. It is the width. So no cobs for me. And I dont care for ponies.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

This was my very wonderful Westphalian Kaltblut (Draft) mare, now late and very much lamented. She was 16hh and weighed about 850kg. She had an enormous barrel and definitely took up my leg. I am 5'9"ish. My current cob is also 16hh but not so wide/heavy. If I win the Lottery the 1st thing I will buy is another Ella -and the 2nd thing is somewhere to put her and a companion, as the cob is very choosy about who she shares her field and friend with and will fight those whom she hasn't chosen