What soothing lotion can I try?

sonjafoers

Visit site
My coloured mare is very pink around her teats and on the very inside of her back legs and she gets eaten alive under there. Fly repellant doesn't do much and I don't like to spray it on sore skin, and sudocrem is too thick and messy to apply to the whole area.

Can anyone recommend a lotion that will go on easily, cover a large area, soothe her bitten pink areas and maybe even deter flies?

A lot to ask I know but I'm ever hopeful :)

sarahann1

Visit site
I like the Lincoln Tea Tree oil lotion, its worked really well on my lads sweet itch and he'd starting to grow a bit of a tail again where it was previously rubbed raw. I put it on twice a day. On the downside its only a little bit less messy than Sudocream.

Flight

Visit site
I use IV horse 4 in 1 soothing lotion, it soothes and has fly repellent in it. Seems to work on mine but I do prefer sudocreme even on big areas. Mine has sweetitch and I plaster her from her girth line right back to teats with the stuff.

Archiepoo

Visit site
you could try an aqueous cream from chemists (like unguentem sp?) is water proof and would be soothing but only slightly less messy than sudocreme -but i have to agree with everyone else sudocreme imo is worth the faff

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Summer fly cream, bright yellow, in a white tub. Incredibly effective. I think it contains deet. The vet recommended into keep flies off a sarcoidosis area on my cob.

sonjafoers

Visit site
Thank you for the ideas everyone, I just find sudocrem such a mess for larger areas so was looking for something more easily spreadable. I'll look up the suggestions and get ordering.

I've just seen the pics of the poor gelding with the bites on his sheath area ( post underneath ) and that's what the inside of mines' legs are looking like even though I fly spray her :(

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Aloe Vera gel. Get the purest stuff you can, you can also buy some with bee propolis in with is antibiotic.
Search out your local forever living rep as they sell the best stuff :)
Sarah

putasocinit

Visit site
good old udder cream but i would mix it with some Naf deet or coopers fly repellant as that will still be required, it will not burn her.

suzysparkle

Visit site
Pure neem oil. It's not expensive (plenty on ebay). I will warn you though it stinks!! My gelding always get bitten lots in the same areas around the sheath and between his back legs. I bought the oil a couple of weeks ago and the little bumps / rough patches have all gone. Because it's oil it stays put for a good couple of days and it also repels the insects really well. In fact I've started putting it through his forelock and out riding it's made a huge difference to the flies. He loves me rubbing it in. I also rubbed some onto the top of his tail where he had been scratching and the bald bit has almost completely gone already.