What stallion would you use for this mare?

issyking

Visit site
I have a ISH x Welsh sec D mare.. she is 15.1hh and has huge amounts of scope. But is very fiesty/highly strung. We absolutely love Arko, and when we met him at Hartpury we decided he was the one because of his temperament as well as his record and progeny. But being realistic I am not minted and after VAT and everything plus AI fees coming to my yard (she can't travel to the stud as it would just stress her out to much) so paying more for them to do her at home. Must be chilled/fresh semen. I have attached a few pictures of her below.. If I can't find another stallion which fits the bill like Arko I will use him, just trying to be sensible in this difficult financial climate! Thank you in advance :) :)

482954_10151101796851059_38370697_n.jpg

484750_10151206116791059_778700417_n.jpg

574960_10150788175291059_245206094_n.jpg
[/IMG]S
397835_10150452089646059_126182130_n.jpg

Last edited:

dianchi

Visit site
Well whats your realistic budget?
Nice little mare youve got there!
What do you think that needs improving in her?

issyking

Visit site
Well whats your realistic budget?
Nice little mare youve got there!
What do you think that needs improving in her?

Thank you! :) :) If I am going to go cheaper theres no point just by a few hundred, so 600-800 maybe, as Arko is 1,500 + VAT

She has huge scope, very careful, fabulous paces. Probably just the temperament and she could do with a bit more blood as you can see shes quite chunky! x

AdorableAlice

Visit site
What a lovely mare, leg at each corner, bone, substance and presence. Not many of those about these days.

I have no knowledge of warmblood or TB breeding, but if you want to pop her in the post I would be sending her to Amorous Archie and breeding myself a heavyweight show hunter. She is very smart, good luck with whatever you choose.

dianchi

Visit site
Id be looking at a TB/eventer line (unless of course you do want an amazing heavy weight hunter then Archie is the number 1 :D)
Perhaps Mill Law? Or Wish upon a Star?

gadetra

Visit site
I would go TB with this mare, to give a bit of size and more blood.
Have you thought about Powerblade? He is a lovely NH type, proved eventing progeny results. He is over in England now at Harthill I think. Lots of levely stock over this side of the water. He has good length which would suit the buttiness of your mare.
http://www.harthillstud.com/power-blade1.html
For temp I would go for Riyalan. I have met him a few times and he is by far the calmest TB stallion I have ever met. I seen him resting a leg on the end of a very loose rein in Cavan with sj'rs flying around him. Cool as a cucumber and the same in teh ring. he has won the Croker cup and is a solid type as well. Here is his link:
www.byrnesgrovestud.com
That link doesn't work here is another one:
http://www.stallionsonline.co.uk/stallion_39173.html
Good luck!

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I think this person is obviously a pure showjumper so there's no point in reccomending thoroughbreds!
What about one of the arko sons?
Or Balou du Rouet is really producing great jumpers with fab temperaments.

Jools2345

Visit site
she is beautiful, just my type.

BUT if you are trying to be sensible in this difficult financial climate why are you going to breed at all? especially from something with temperament issues, the foal should spend at least the first 6 months of life with the mare so the mare is most likely to have the biggest influence on the foals outlook on life.

if you cant take her to stud because travelling is not an option has she ever been out and competed? scope alone is no good as you may know so why risk breeding another the same even if you had all the money in the world and the financial climate was not difficult?

elijahasgal

Visit site
Or how about going to Arko's son Aristio? If you like him that much? But I second Jools, The mare has the most influence on the foal, as they learn from their mums example.

Ivanna88

New User
Visit site
I think if she was my mare I would consider using Esteban. He is proven to produce horses that jump as he has Holstein approved stallion sons and you could produce a super stamp with thoroughbred on top of Irish and Welsh. Wow. I would very much like that cross.

Delicious_D

Visit site
I think if she was my mare I would consider using Esteban. He is proven to produce horses that jump as he has Holstein approved stallion sons and you could produce a super stamp with thoroughbred on top of Irish and Welsh. Wow. I would very much like that cross.

I wouldnt use a stallion from the stallion company after the owners public outbursts at the crap grading system of Uk stallions .... especially the AES.... just mho.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Cash Point :)

Would he suit a stressy mare? I am sure I have been told he would not suit a sharp or stressy mare when I showed an interest in him, not that the mare in question is either. Arko has some good sons to choose from or you could look at Legrande who certainly has a temperment hard to fault. Movement & jump along with good feet for those a bit flat footed. OMT not sure he has enough movement, seemed not to want to use his engine all that much when I saw him. Great stamp of horse but disapointed me when ridden. Brendon stud are sure to have something to suit or Billy stud both known for their showjumpers. Think about what it is you want to improve on the mare & find a stallion who will compliment that. The best way is to look at his offspring from mares similar to your mare. If I was using Arko I would want a proven competition mare as that is the only way you would stand a chance of recouping any monies if you had to sell. Otherwise you will have to wait for it to be old enough to show it has inherited the talent for I assume in this case showjumping.

koeffee

Visit site
If you want to put her to a jumping stallion, you have elthuder or carentino glory, both proven performers at top level, handel is under used and has some decent stock about as well. Plenty of stallion choices in this country? as for esteban did nothing for me in harpury stallion show.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
If you love Arko and you actually want a more blood type then his son Arisito is so like him in type but longer in the leg and oozes scope and balance. A good brain on him too.
Echo the others on being certain you really want to breed from her given the issues you have mentioned but I think Aristio sounds worth considering

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
Absolutely loved Aristio at SSGB and I would use him in a heartbeat with a more blood mare. Your little mare is really lovely but in my opinion, something a bit less butch would suit her better. Immediate thought is pure thoroughbred, but if it's a jumper you want to breed, then El Thuder at BelleGrace Stud or Caretino Glory at Brendon would be my first choices to add height and refinement without losing the jump. Both have great temperament too. I believe Melissa Wood's 5 year old twins ride El Thuder bareback... and he's a grade A show jumper :)

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
Would he suit a stressy mare? I am sure I have been told he would not suit a sharp or stressy mare when I showed an interest in him, not that the mare in question is either.

I would have no qualms about putting him on a sharp and/or stressy mare. He is within the OPs budget, is a local stallion to her and is throwing excellent foals with great temperaments, i've seen some out of similar mares and think he will give her what she is looking for.
I am expecting 2 foals by him this year and he is on the (very) short list for my recently retired 1.30s mare that can be on the sharp/stressy side when she wants to be.

issyking

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies :) really appreciate your opinions! Just to clarify lady's temperament is from her bad past before I had her, she was badly abused and unfortunately has made life really difficult for her, she has come along way but we decided to retire her for competition in 2011. She has a bsja record and winnings, won workers also. She's fantastic! :) and I can afford to breed her just trying to see if I cando things cheaper etc. loving cashpoint and caterino glory atm!!

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I'd look for a more blood type than Arko. If that's one of his sons great.

I will get flamed for saying this but really it's not so much about who you fall in love with as a baby daddy but taking both the strengths and weaknesses into consideration. Not just stressy. Your mare is a lovely type but if you're being honest, Arko probably isn't the best match. He's a very heavy in the front type of horse and so maybe better to try a lighter, leggy, more rectangular horse. Do you know anything about your mare's dam? This also helps. I had a 15.2 TB that bred all over 16 hand horses including to under 16 hand TB's. But I can throw a little height at her and stay in the nice 16.2 range. She needed stallions with leg, not so much overall height. She needed more rectangular. My other TB mare is a chasing type that throws very large. But I'd still like better length of leg, not a stuffed up in front type even though she has nice length of neck, and definitely a square type. So while I love and would love to have babies by certain stallions, I have to really pull things apart for the best choice from my mare. I don't want the subpar foal by a really good stallion because I didn't choose wisely for my mare.

As I stated before, there is much to like about your mare. If you really do your homework she should have a nice baby.

Terri

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
I know the semen would have to come from abroad and I dont remember his stud fee but lord Z would be a good choice. He would add some blood and his stock are very laid back, easy going sorts. I have a Lord Z horse and he is a wonderful, willing, easy going young horse. Good luck

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I'd look for a more blood type than Arko. If that's one of his sons great.

I will get flamed for saying this but really it's not so much about who you fall in love with as a baby daddy but taking both the strengths and weaknesses into consideration. Not just stressy. Your mare is a lovely type but if you're being honest, Arko probably isn't the best match. He's a very heavy in the front type of horse and so maybe better to try a lighter, leggy, more rectangular horse. Do you know anything about your mare's dam? This also helps. I had a 15.2 TB that bred all over 16 hand horses including to under 16 hand TB's. But I can throw a little height at her and stay in the nice 16.2 range. She needed stallions with leg, not so much overall height. She needed more rectangular. My other TB mare is a chasing type that throws very large. But I'd still like better length of leg, not a stuffed up in front type even though she has nice length of neck, and definitely a square type. So while I love and would love to have babies by certain stallions, I have to really pull things apart for the best choice from my mare. I don't want the subpar foal by a really good stallion because I didn't choose wisely for my mare.

As I stated before, there is much to like about your mare. If you really do your homework she should have a nice baby.

Terri

issyking

Visit site
Thanks everyone for all your opinions, just wanted to say that Lady's temperament issues are to do with her bad past as a foal through to a 5 year old before I bought her, she was abused and the dealer I bought her off has been prosecuted for animal cruelty, she is the kindest sweetest mare ever and it is a shame she had such a horrible past. She had a bs record and jumped double clear newcomers, also she had won working hunter :) her mum was a welsh sec D x ish, who went to HOYS doing workers!

ihatework

Visit site
Not sure what he's like as a pure SJ sire, but have you considered Craig? I saw him at Twemlows recently and he is just stunning, have never met a horse with such a wonderful laid back temperament, let alone a stallion! http://www.stallionai.co.uk/stallions/craig/ Nice and fine built as well without being TB :)

With greatest respect to what is a very smart horse - he is questionable as an event sire at the moment, let alone a showjumper! Poles flying all over the place on his BE record!

I think Caretino Glory is a cracking suggestion, and certainly worth exploring further.

koeffee

Visit site
With greatest respect to what is a very smart horse - he is questionable as an event sire at the moment, let alone a showjumper! Poles flying all over the place on his BE record!

Craig in all fairness to him is bed to be a dressage stallion and his owner as faith in him to be a decent eventer and I think he will prove this year the doubters wrong, his few runs last year were on sticky muddy ground, I know some are good in that ground but he was green, he is a machine cross country and he sjumps on a good surface amazingly well, I should know as I owned him, he wont be everyones cup of t, but his first foals are smart and one has sold to a sjumping home.

Last edited:

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I think I saw a video of Craig showjumping and I remember that he was being jumped off a very long and flat stride, it would be interesting to see what kind of jumping he could produce from a more engaged canter& when put into a closer spot. But everyone has their own style there is no right or wrong!
Does proove that he is genuine tho!

TheMule

Visit site
If he cant jump 1m cleanly out of sticky ground then he is not an eventer, surely?!
I think he is beautiful, but he has a lot to prove as an event sire