what? Still no reports? I'll do mine then. Lesson and jumping

Jesstickle

Visit site
I can't believe no one has been out over Christmas? Surely you have?

In the absence of any real reports here is mine. It combines a lesson I had on Friday with my attempts to put in to practice the things I learnt today at the Jays.

Lesson first. Mostly this was a getting to know you lesson. I have only had the horse a couple of months and so we still don't know each other that well. So nothing specific to work on from the off but plenty by the end :p Mostly the take home message was that I need more canter. Much more. When I think I have a decent one it is about half what it should be. Because of this pottery, shambles of a canter I/the horse tend to fire ourselves from about three strides out in a vain attempt to actually jump the jump. So worked on keeping a proper canter at all times. Especially off the corners with this horse has he doesn't have much of a motor so I need to work hard to keep him running. When I remembered to do this we had a lovely time. The horse was super keen (possibly the gale force winds which kept blowing the jumps down?) and extremely helpful to the inept lump riding him and we finished with a nice round in our school.

Bottoms up

1548102_10152180986597265_8001492_o2_zps77875f84.jpg

Jolly soul

1498882_10152180987412265_1428499460_o_zps8c7d1080.jpg

Whilst I am not that keen on my riding in either photo I am assured that my riding wasn't actually that bad on the day so not sure what happened in the pictures. I suspect I am being lied to and that they are a realistic representation of the situation as they show in great detail all the silly things I do (mostly pivoting round my knee/ throwing my shoulders forward). Whilst I can prevent myself riding like a plank apparently trying to canter and not ride like a tit is too much for my pea brain. Unsurprising, I am not a bright girl! So plenty to work on in the future and plenty to try and remember today.

Got up this morning and put his lordship out for a bit. He was not impressed as his favourites were all still in at this point the ungrateful sod. I may as well have stayed in bed! Dragged him in and attempted to scrape off the 10lbs of mud that were attached to him. Failed miserably and gave up. Loaded up and set off instead. Warmed up, nearly crashed in to someone because I wasn't looking where I was going :eek:, and then went to jump the 80cm class. By this point the jumps were looking a bit small (he is a big, big horse!) and I was starting to think I should have held off and waited at home for a bit but we cantered round and had a pole because we were bickering about the speed we ought to be going. I strongly suspect the horse was right and I was trying to go too slow again!

Stood gossiping to the horse's owner and a HHOer and then had to jump on in a hurry as we were fourth anyway, despite the pole. Poor horse looked wholly confused by me screeching and jumping on him so unceremoniously and nearly as unimpressed with his sash!

1525230_10151815394271016_1833380035_n_zpse4fe9341.jpg

Entered the next class as I was already cold and couldn't bear the thought of waiting for the last one. Only went and had the first like a total idiot :( After that I actually rode rather than sitting like a lemon and the rest of the round was quite nice really. Still not much to like about my riding but plenty of love for the horse!

1487899_10151815408101016_1552277888_o2_zps1df82be2.jpg

1495970_10151815408301016_1371306090_o2_zps4765230c.jpg

not the best photo but it does at least prove we got properly air-borne

1507445_10151815408531016_1507407949_o2_zpsb2ecf023.jpg

So all in all, he is still a lovely, lovely horse. Such a nice, forgiving person bless him. And we had a great lesson and a great day out today. Surface was good despite the fact it was trying very hard to freeze. I imagine quite a lot of work went in to getting it rideable and it was nice to see a reasonable number of people there :) Always nice when there are people about :)

I have no food as ever and I need to learn to ride as ever. Same conclusion as all my reports really:p Next time out I think we'll aim to jump the 90 and the 1m but they are always right at the end of unaffiliated and I can never guess what time they will be so I just end up hanging about for hours and I get cold and bored. Must learn some fortitude!

Thanks for reading.

Please all post more reports. Mine are lame!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I like that horse, nice type. Well done. :)

Mine is lame too so I've been having lessons with our SJ coach on a 13hh pony which the coach to his credit has not laughed at me (nearly 5ft8) for. :eek:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Don't be so hard on yourself it looks fine and it will get more polished. I think I would possibly look at going up a hole on your stirrups as will close the knee angle which might help with the aesthetic you are after.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Great report, can't see glove colour though, which did you decide on?

I think I mus have missed what happened to BH and nitty, but the new boy looks great. I went on my second hack in a week today after 5 months off for me and the beast and I can't wait to jump again!

Jesstickle

Visit site
LEC, you are right. I should put them up really. But then I struggle to move the lump as he is a bit big for me and lazy to boot. Will try again though as it certainly does make it easier to jump and he is a bit more forward now so I may not need to kick quite as much :eek:

SF- I sold BH aaages ago as two horses is too many and then Nitty just scared the bejesus out of me. For no reason, she wasn't doing anything really, I just felt like I was going to panic myself to death at the mere thought of getting on her :(

This is a borrowed one whilst I make up my mind what I am going to do long term, but he is a peach bless his cottons.

FW- I have the opposite problem. I am 5'2'' and he must be 16.3 or so. I look like a pea on a drum sometimes!

ETS: these are old gloves so they're brown :p Haven't ordered new ones yet!

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
I feel your pain of new horse and more canter needed, but videos and photos are so useful as a instructor can tell me till they are blue in the face but if I see it and am horrified I will try and fix it asap.

love the sashes! I need to get out to some unaff too but feel your pain its too cold to hang about all day! keep the reports coming.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Sad to hear about that re nitty, but at least you made a choice and moved on :)

I think that I'd love a horse to compete (other than mine lol) but then I think about it and I really don't have the time. Really hoping I can get over a fence soon :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Deffo not a lame report JT! It's fab you're getting out & about and I had no idea he was 16.3, you don't look like a pea on him at all.

And I agree with LEC, you are way too hard on yourself, I've always been super-envious of your lower leg, my opinion (fwiw) is you're leaning forward slightly too much over the jumps, if you stop trying to get over the jump before him, you will look "prettier".

Jesstickle

Visit site
It's exactly that with vids. I watched some of my lesson. I was literally crawling along. Why?! Just why? And why does it feel like I am going at a normal speed?! My speedo is clearly broken.

I am hopeless JB. I have gone three strides out usually and the horse is still deciding if it is even going to take off :p I am going to practise though. I have hardly ridden this year, or at least that is how it feels anyway, no time like the present :)

O and anyone who doubts he is enormous, there are other forumites who can vouch that he is a big lad when you stand next to him. Far too big for my short and stumpy legs!

Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Have your spurs lower, this was a recent tip given to me. Aesthetically it makes the purist in me cringe but it does work as you can be more subtle and quicker with the leg.

Lolo

Visit site
Al had the crawling canter issue with Reg for a while, felt nice but wasn't going anywhere! Now they are miles in the opposite direction and he does his very best JA pony impression :D Think because they're so big the stride length can trick you into feeling a lot faster than you are?

You look great, especially considering you are a tiny bit small compared to him! I'd second the stirrups going up a hole to close the knee angle up, and if he's a bit lazy off your leg as a result carry a schooling whip for a while to ping him if he doesn't respond... He sounds like the perfect antidote to your year- gentle giants are the best :D

Jesstickle

Visit site
I would love to blame his long legs but I am just a crawler. I used to do the same with BH! Definitely my speedo is beggared!

He totally ignores the schooling whip (git) but I can try dropping my spurs down and putting my jerks up and see if that works. To be fair, when jumps are involved he isn't too bad going forward. They were two holes shorter, I'm not actually sure why they went back down now. Senility is setting in it would seem.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Well having seen your rounds in the flesh, I can definitely say you are far too harsh on yourself. Your riding is lovely!!
I loof your darling, lanky giant pony. He is an utter legend & you 2 are forming a brilliant team x

Jesstickle

Visit site
Well having seen your rounds in the flesh, I can definitely say you are far too harsh on yourself. Your riding is lovely!!
I loof your darling, lanky giant pony. He is an utter legend & you 2 are forming a brilliant team x

He's big isn't he? I'm not just making it up. He always looks tiny in photos. those jumps look about 30cms!!

ETS: I shouldn't worry about me picking holes in my riding you all :) It doesn't bother me that I am hopeless so no need to be nice. I'm not too sad as long as it doesn't upset the horse :) Good to have something to work out after all right? Shame I've been working at the same damn things for 25 years! :p

Last edited:

longdog

Visit site
Lovely report. Hopefully in 2014, we will be able to start reporting again. Just need the b****y horse to come sound (grump, grump)

glamourpuss

Visit site
He's big isn't he? I'm not just making it up. He always looks tiny in photos. those jumps look about 30cms!!

ETS: I shouldn't worry about me picking holes in my riding you all :) It doesn't bother me that I am hopeless so no need to be nice. I'm not too sad as long as it doesn't upset the horse :) Good to have something to work out after all right? Shame I've been working at the same damn things for 25 years! :p

Seriously though your riding IS lovely! You don't harass the horse or drive them into fence looking for an elusive 'stride'. In fact watching you today I would say you have a lovely eye for an approach. You sit up with your shoulders back, waiting for the fence to come with a soft hand & supporting leg....all things that people spend a gazillion years trying to train themselves to do ;)
I would happily let you ride any of mine (& the only other 2 people who have ridden S since I got himare Phoebe Buckley & Sharon Hunt!)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I have no eye. I have no choice but to sit quiet as I can't see a stride for toffee :p This one is very flattering to ride, I couldn't ride one side of S don't you worry!

Right, I am off to look on horsedates and plan some pony parties :D I told his owner I was going to Keysoe so now I have to do it!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
He's a very nice horse and you look good together. And you've answered your own question as to why no-one else is out - it's because it's to flippin cold !

Waves to LS :smile3:

Jesstickle

Visit site
Bay horse? Did you tell me my pole was unlucky? Was there yellow writing on your hoody? Or was that someone else?!

See, if I dress down I look like a hobo so I don't do it. Everyone else looked smart in their 'casual' stuff. I just look like someone who hasn't washed for a month...

Bigbenji

Visit site
He looks lush!
Speaking as someone who did a report on my 4yo first outing and got one reply I don't think I will bother writing one again :(
Love reading others tho :)