What temperature would you bath and not bath your horse with cold water

tatty_v

Visit site
I have two greys and don’t really bother with full body baths any more unless it’s high summer and they’re really sweaty.

Manes and tails I wash year round in hot water (I’m lucky they’re at home so I can just fill buckets from the utility room!) Otherwise I just spot clean the dirty bits with a damp brush in the mornings. They are known as the dazz ponies so it seems to be working!

marmalade76

Visit site
There's more to it than just temperature, cool and still or sunny will feel much more pleasant than cool & windy or overcast yet the temperature could be the same. I'm not a fan of bathing horses and try to avoid it as much as possible.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My pony is washed at liberty-he also likes to play with the hose! My last Exmoor pony was very suspicious of warm water, especially if there was steam. When it comes to ponies that live out, I expect what feels warm to us probably feels quite hot to them. But without using warm, you’ve little chance of getting through the grease. The Exmoor can go years without a bath,, the Fell is black and gets hot-he seems to appreciate the odd bath.

humblepie

Visit site
Only have cold water at yard so either bring a water container of hot water from home or copious kettles to take the chill off. If really hot in middle of summer will wash down with cold but not over the loins generally.

AandK

Visit site
I use cold water from the hose for a full bath, but only on a warm day. My grey is now retired, so may get one bath a year on a v hot day, but when he was ridden and competed, I did bath him before shows in the summer. Now my ridden horse is a chestnut with two white socks, it is a revelation to not have to bath and tail wash so much!