What the hell is going on in France?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Absolutely dreadful! My brother mentioned this last night when we spoke on the phone (not happened in his dept) and he said there were farmers out with guns, talk of locking horses up when not supervised out. Horrible horrible.

J&S

Visit site
I heard it on the car radio this afternoon. When there have been spates of horse mutilation over here it is always mentioned that there is a prevalence in Europe. This does sound really extreme though. I do hope they don't cross the channel.

Griffin

Visit site
I heard it on the car radio this afternoon. When there have been spates of horse mutilation over here it is always mentioned that there is a prevalence in Europe. This does sound really extreme though. I do hope they don't cross the channel.

I agree, although it is not totally unknown here sadly. Just awful and so hard to stop too.

fankino04

Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that it's some sort of social media challenge, might have got that wrong though, it's truly gruesome and massively worrying

Pedantic

Visit site
Yes its dreadful, but lets not forget we have people here in the uk, who are going into farmers fields, murdering and butchering sheep in the field, stealing it and leaving the rest behind, its frightening to think of the dross that is walking amongst us breathing the same air, we also have members of society who have no problem in beheading us, dreadful times all round.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
A friend lives in France and the police visited her last week to tell her to be vigilant. Its getting closer to where she is. What is wrong with people?

helffrich

Visit site
Dreading evening and nights...

I go out on watches with my flashlight. Ordered a hunting camera.
Totally freaked out. My old boy leaves 24/7 out. Not the type to let strangers catch him but the horror stories we hear from everywhere tell that these psychos have a way...
Ears, genitals or eyes cut off, slashed flanks, no blood found on site.
30+ mutilated so far and 10+ left dead. :(:mad:

So far, not one of these monsters has been caught even though it's taken seriously by the local authorities.
Breeders/studs are getting organized (and armed...), but individual owners like myself are at a loss.

This has been going on for months and all over France.
Mostly up north in the beginning and now happening down south as well (where I am)
When will it end???

Shady

Visit site
It's terrible. Two were killed 6km from my friends and she is absolutely terrified that hers will be next. Not even stabled horses next to a house are safe and everybody over here is freaked out and forming groups to patrol. And yes many are armed. I have guns here and iv'e moved the dogs to a different part of the house so they will pick up on noise outside. My OH is also going to rig up some motion sensor lights next week . It's just so awful and I hope to god that these sick basterds are caught soon

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
When I saw some of these on Facebook a while ago, I dismissed them as being probably fake news and recycled images, because they were from sources I did not know or trust.

Then this weekend it was reported on national radio that there have ben cases in 20 different "départements".

There was a spate a few years ago in the UK of cows being shot with crossbow bolts. I can't think why people would want to do these things...

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It's terrible. Two were killed 6km from my friends and she is absolutely terrified that hers will be next. Not even stabled horses next to a house are safe and everybody over here is freaked out and forming groups to patrol. And yes many are armed. I have guns here and iv'e moved the dogs to a different part of the house so they will pick up on noise outside. My OH is also going to rig up some motion sensor lights next week . It's just so awful and I hope to god that these sick basterds are caught soon

Oh Shady your poor friend. Motion sensor lights are such a good idea. Are yours stabled by they house?

I hope they are caught before any more horses are hurt.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

Totally freaked out. My old boy leaves 24/7 out. Not the type to let strangers catch him but the horror stories we hear from everywhere tell that these psychos have a way...

So far, not one of these monsters has been caught even though it's taken seriously by the local authorities.
Breeders/studs are getting organized (and armed...), but individual owners like myself are at a loss.

Mostly up north in the beginning and now happening down south as well (where I am)
When will it end???

Just horrific Helffrich.

When they are caught I hope they are suitably punished.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Terrifying!! I hope they are caught and suitably punished!

I do remember as a kid there was something happening where mares were being mutilated internally and left to bleed to death. i can't remember exactly but it was definitely in the UK

Shady

Visit site
Oh Shady your poor friend. Motion sensor lights are such a good idea. Are yours stabled by they house?

I hope they are caught before any more horses are hurt.
Yes thankfully stabled right next to the house, close to our bedroom too. We are keeping the window open and the dogs are next door.
Many horse owners are bringing theirs closer and penning them at night with hay but this obviously can't continue for most long term.
I always stable at night because one won't stay out but most people over here don't do that as the weather is totally different and land for grazing is more plentiful here .
It's a nightmare and some people iv'e heard of are getting dogs to house outside as well.

Shady

Visit site

When will it end???
I am thinking of you Helffrich. Bon courage . xxx

MagicMelon

Visit site
Unfortunately we get these horrendous things happening in the UK too. There were several of these done around Inverness a few years back (I bought a pony from one of the owners where awful things were done to her horse). I think it happens everywhere, but obviously the France thing seems to be more often at the moment. So many sick people around, its terrifying :(

Buster2020

Visit site
That’s terrible it would make me scared to own horse if I was in France my anti is a farmer and it happens with the sheep a few years ago People are sick.

Shady

Visit site
Christ iv'e just found out that one of the attacks where the horses were mutilated but lived was literally just around the corner and up the road from me. Can't believe I didn't know this. My farmer neighbour just dropped a round off and told me. He is in a bit of a state as he has two girls that live in a flat attached to him and they have ponies dotted all over the place around here. They have formed a group which iv'e just joined to share nightly patrols. Awful:(

dorsetladette

Visit site
Christ iv'e just found out that one of the attacks where the horses were mutilated but lived was literally just around the corner and up the road from me. Can't believe I didn't know this. My farmer neighbour just dropped a round off and told me. He is in a bit of a state as he has two girls that live in a flat attached to him and they have ponies dotted all over the place around here. They have formed a group which iv'e just joined to share nightly patrols. Awful:(

Oh god Shady. Can you put a grill on your stable doors and then paddock so they can't get in to him. I know its generally a no no, but it is unusual times.

Take care x

Shady

Visit site
Oh god Shady. Can you put a grill on your stable doors and then paddock so they can't get in to him. I know its generally a no no, but it is unusual times.

Take care x
I'm going to think on it as my OH is a metal worker amongst other skills so could make something easily. With some extra lights and our personal location we should be ok but who knows really. It's bloody scary.
Thank you for your kind words x

helffrich

Visit site
Finistère in Brittany.
There was another attack yesterday in the Côte d’Or but luckily the owner saw torches and got there in time. Two men ran off and thankfully the pony had superficial wounds.

Glad to hear the ponies are ok!
Quite a few testimonies mentioning 2 men... Brittany and northern France have been the hardest hit so far but we're having them down south too now.

helffrich

Visit site

Wow... Be super careful and join forces with the other horse owners near you!

We started a FB group down here. Installing my hunting camera this evening.
I also visited my local Gendarmerie. They told me they're doing rounds around equestrian centers/yards they're aware of, but for individuals who have horses at home, they don't necessarily know.
So now they know about me and where I live!

Take care and fingers crossed!