What the hell is wrong with some people!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Ongoing post in a Beagle group on FB. Someone has taken on a new job which is far away with long hours, they cannot come home during the day and live alone. They have arranged a dog walker for an hour every day at lunchtime. The Dog will be in a crate the rest of the day and then again at night whilst she sleeps. All in all the dog will be crated approx 20 hours every day! Some people (myself included) have advised that perhaps she should look for a dog day care centre, look for a less demanding job or rehome the Dog. Of course we have been shot down and called judgemental idiots, people have to work etc. the thought of rehoming a dog is a stupid idea and how insensitive we are. Whats scary is the amount of people who think it is ok for a dog to be crated for that amount of time.

One poster has even put "Don't worry about some of the above comments, they understandably want whats best for your Dog, but what actually matters is you, your health, your wellbeing, It is your dog"

Arghhh!!!!

Roxylola

Visit site
That's awful, even worse for a pack hound, they are so sociable. I work but my dogs have a secure safe room and access to the garden through the day, and there are 2 of them!

conniegirl

Visit site
I saw that one too, I was flabbergasted. I hate that group A lot of people in it are total Numptys with no clue about dogs and it is not surprising that their dogs are hyper-active, destructive, highly frustrated, poorly trained, got no recall, bite etc

I leave my Beagle at home between 7.30am and 4.30pm with no dog walker, but he has the run of the house the entire time, I've actually bothered to train my dog, I exercise him enough that he spends the vast majority of the day on the sofa asleep and I keep him mentally stimulated enough that he is not at all destructive.

You can't keep a dog in a crate that long it is cruel.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I saw that one too, I was flabbergasted. I hate that group A lot of people in it are total Numptys with no clue about dogs and it is not surprising that their dogs are hyper-active, destructive, highly frustrated, poorly trained, got no recall, bite etc

I leave my Beagle at home between 7.30am and 4.30pm with no dog walker, but he has the run of the house the entire time, I've actually bothered to train my dog, I exercise him enough that he spends the vast majority of the day on the sofa asleep and I keep him mentally stimulated enough that he is not at all destructive.

You can't keep a dog in a crate that long it is cruel.

That group is truly terrible at times, but I stick around as every now and then I get good advice from there. The amount of twits on that page is crazy, they seem to think that because Beagles are rumoured to be hard to train that gives them a pass and their Dog can do whatever it wants, when it wants and its ok because it is a Beagle and "thats what they do". Maybe I am lucky with mine, or maybe its because he has 3 long walks a day and I do brain games/training every day with him. I did respond to that effect and was told I either have a cross breed or my one is broken. *facepalm*

conniegirl

Visit site
That group is truly terrible at times, but I stick around as every now and then I get good advice from there. The amount of twits on that page is crazy, they seem to think that because Beagles are rumoured to be hard to train that gives them a pass and their Dog can do whatever it wants, when it wants and its ok because it is a Beagle and "thats what they do". Maybe I am lucky with mine, or maybe its because he has 3 long walks a day and I do brain games/training every day with him. I did respond to that effect and was told I either have a cross breed or my one is broken. *facepalm*

Mine must be broken too! Shock horror mine comes to call, is predominately walked off lead, has never destroyed anything in the house and never nips or chews. He gets a short walk (30mins) before work and a long walk after work (at least an hour and a half and mostly having to keep up with a pony)
D1452B20-7259-4FDB-8193-95C585A28817.jpegFD6629BA-0517-41BC-8207-2FD6EDEA624C.jpeg19302101-D15D-4A63-A09F-6CF1F571E699.jpeg

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Visit site
How awful :-(

Our old lab was rehomed to us at 11 months - the owners had kept her crated that sort of length of time too. They gave her 2 short on-lead walk a day and said she needed to be crated as she was 'crazy'. Hardly surprising she was over-exuberant during her short prison breaks with that life-style! Thankfully they did eventually decide to give her up.

She was the loveliest dog. Incredibly easy to train. Calm and obedient. Never went back into a crate for the rest of her life and died at 13. Hopefully these owners might re-home too eventually.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Omg, that poor dog. Lack of stimulation is a key issue with people experiencing problems with ‘hyper’ dogs, ime. Exercise it properly and don’t leave it in a crate all day, dear god, it’s easy! 🤬

Clodagh

Visit site
If she got a kennel and run it would be doable. Poor dog. On gundog forums (where people still think you can't work a dog if it lives in the house) people work full time with dogs but at least they are out in a run and get to stand up, walk about and see a bit of life.

WandaMare

Visit site
That's shocking, poor dog. I don't know how she can go off to work and concentrate, I would be feeling too guilty to think of anything else. What a miserable life for the poor thing, re-homing would be putting the dogs needs first and some people just don't seem capable of doing that. I put a post on here a few weeks ago about a dog I walk once a week that is left home alone for at least 8 hours a day for the other weekdays, that makes me feel bad enough but at least he has the run of the house. I hope this owner comes to her senses some time soon, you can't waste an animals life keeping it stuck in a crate for that long.

It might be one of those forums where people follow the dominant posters opinions for fear of being slated if they express their own honest view, hence so many posters appearing to support the dog being crated for so long. It does happen on forums quite a lot.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have been using a crate for my terrier as he has in the past chewed wires , i have now (i hope) got all wires hidden behind furniture etc so if i go out he is not caged and has the run of downstairs with my collie cross. i still crate him at night so my older dog can have a good nights sleep without being jumped on. dont like doing it though but i have to think of my old girl, cant believe that someone would crate a dog for all that time, i would feel so guilty it wouldnt be crated at night and would be allowed a bit of freedom...

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I was involved in a rescue situation re. a little terrier that had been crated for a lot of its life. It had got hyper and bitten someone, and then then needed a temporary foster home for a few days until something could be sorted out, which is where I came in.

The poor little creature had been crated a lot during its life - and every time you tried to walk it on a lead, it was rather like lunging a miniature horse; it would circle around you in small rings every time you tried to walk in a straight line. And when it was inside my spare stable - which is where we put it, just for a few days - it made a circular pattern in the straw, again running a circle-track around.

Thankfully the dog is now in the care of someone who will sensitively and lovingly try to help it and get it rehabbed. But this is the legacy of keeping a dog confined in a crate for hours/days on end; and it is CRUELTY.

But I betcha the RSPCA wouldn't want to be involved with the case OP refers to .......... a Beagle, for pity's sake, of all things, these are hounds and need to be out in the open and doing things.

Poor little mite.

Clodagh

Visit site
Isn't that how a lot of people keep horses?

Yes it is, and IMO no more acceptable there either. I expect there are plenty of horses who would love to be out of their stable for 4 hours a day. However, even in a stable, they can usually see other horses and things going on.

WandaMare

Visit site
Agree about the horses seeing more, at least they usually have company around. A dog in a crate in a house is so isolated, its heart breaking.

Its not good for horses to be kept in stables for so many hours either but at least they are grazing animals so a lot of their time can be taken up eating, which keeps a lot of them happy for hours, and also they can go to the toilet when they want to.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I was involved in a rescue situation re. a little terrier that had been crated for a lot of its life. It had got hyper and bitten someone, and then then needed a temporary foster home for a few days until something could be sorted out, which is where I came in.

The poor little creature had been crated a lot during its life - and every time you tried to walk it on a lead, it was rather like lunging a miniature horse; it would circle around you in small rings every time you tried to walk in a straight line. And when it was inside my spare stable - which is where we put it, just for a few days - it made a circular pattern in the straw, again running a circle-track around.

Thankfully the dog is now in the care of someone who will sensitively and lovingly try to help it and get it rehabbed. But this is the legacy of keeping a dog confined in a crate for hours/days on end; and it is CRUELTY.

But I betcha the RSPCA wouldn't want to be involved with the case OP refers to .......... a Beagle, for pity's sake, of all things, these are hounds and need to be out in the open and doing things.

Poor little mite.

I know a little staffy (fortunately rehomed as a young adult) who was kept caged almost all the time and when she was taken out she rode on the bottom 'shelf' of a baby's buggy. She is a delightful little dog but she was terrified of our crate when she first started visiting here and wouldn't even go into the same room as the crate.
That is several years ago and she will now wander into the crate and sit there for a few minutes. She has very sensitive feet and joint problems. She doesn't like going for a walk and will point blank refuse to do so, even though she lives with a Dalmation who loves going out and about. The vet says that all her problems stem from being crated for many hours at a time.

LaurenBay

Visit site
She updated again last night to say she turned the job down. thank god she saw sense. People still commenting to say that it would have been ok though and to ignore all us bullies.