what times of day are horseflies less active?

impresario08

Visit site
Holy flip they have suddenly come out with a vengeance, driving me and the horses nuts. I'm going to bring in and turn out at times they're less active so the horses don't sweat up and make themselves stressed. When are they less active time-wise?

TheHairyOne

Visit site
The *add many *****ed words here* bite me at any time of day or night if i even think about going to the yard. Hopefully in another month they will be dead for another year.

Sorry. This is no help to your question! :)

Nicnac

Visit site
2am? They also seem to have done the Wasp to Hornet thing this year and appear genetically modified - ******* HUGE!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Our yard is really bad, down by the water! not sure why, but they are always worse down there! but my friend has been riding at 6.30am, with a fly rider sheet and she's said she's not been bothered by them! I've annoyingly got 2 weeks off work now, bad timing! so not managing to hack around the farm now, which sucks! but even in the school at 9.30 this morning he was still getting attacked, and its normally okay by the school! I've been bitten on the left leg, 4 times in the last week.

Mrs G

Visit site
I think you MIGHT be ok if you go VERY early, on a very windy and torrential-rainy day, with your horse in a ride-on-fly-sheet and yourself in a beekeepers outfit.

Mrs B

Visit site
They prefer sunlight - only the females bite at this time of year because they need protein to form their eggs, which are laid on or near water.

They are attracted to warm, dark objects, so riding out in a white fly-rug will help, as will wearing lighter coloured jobs/light coloured top.

But yes, they will still get you if they can - I guess the imperative to breed makes them determined little swines!

Visit site
I am very lucky in the fact that my yard doesn't seem to have many horseflies! But I do work at a yard where they are horrendous! There is water close by there though so think that is the reason.