What to do about excessive tartar?

catembi

Visit site
We got our older rescue Rottie at the age of 8 and she is now 10 1/2. She is fine apart from her teeth, which are heavily tartared. We try putting gel on them which she really hates - she is extremely strong & resists vigorously. I also have some dog toothpaste & a dog toothbrush & try to brush her teeth daily - again, very hard to do and I can only do the outsides. She has very bad breath. Is there anything I can do, apart from taking her to the vets for a descale under GA? She also hates the vets & gets v aggressive (she isn't normally aggressive) & I would worry about GA at her age.

All suggestions appreciated!

Karran

Visit site
What about the plague off supplement stuff. It did make a difference for Mrs Spaniel but took about 3 or 4 months to show. They also has braided lamb/ostrich things to help floss

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
My dogs have been eating PlaqueOff for years.

The only thing to think about is that PlaqueOff contains algae, which can make their thyroid work better. That's sometimes a plus for an older dog, but if they're on medication to compensate that their thyroid isn't working as well as it used to, it can happen that you after awhile need to check so that their medication dose doesn't need to be lowered a little. Doesn't always happen, but it happened to one of my late Norwegian Buhunds.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-dental-...oden-plaqueoff-animal-for-dogs-and-cats-p-298

Besides PlaqueOff they also get a daily little gnaw bone, and it happens that I either brush over their teeth, or sometimes I might use a tooth scaler a little bit.

It wasn't until today when trying to find the type of tooth scaler I use on a page in English, that I read something about leaving using a tooth scaler to the veterinarian in case you cause damage using a metal tool in their mouth when they're awake. Or use it in a way which damage the surface of the tooth, so having shared those warnings, here's the type of tooth scaler I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARSUK-2-Inch-Remover-Scraper-Stainless/dp/B007KLK9WQ

EllieBeast

Visit site
My Dalmatian is 10, only ever fed dry kibble but she had to have two dentals before the age of 5, since I’ve been giving her raw carrot after each meal her teeth are loads better and she hasn’t had to have any veterinary dental intervention for the past 5years.

It seems to be the mechanical action of crunching something hard that helps to clear some of the soft plaque and food debris.

It won’t remove the hard tartar deposits, but the tartar isn’t actually what’s causing the bad breath. That will be the soft plaque and bacteria causing an inflammatory response in her gums- gum disease. Stain and a bit of tartar being left behind isn’t the worst thing in the world, if you can keep on top of the plaque itself. The carrot seems to really help and is much healthier than any dentasticks you can buy!

If shes a chewer, then coffeewood chews are fab too, as it’s soft enough to do some plaque removal too.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Ask your vet if you can have some sedatives, and see if it's enough to let you crack the tartar with a pair of pliers. Be aware that the line where tartar meets gum could be quite painful and/or bleed.
Would sedation help to get the dog to the vet's surgery without drama?

EllieBeast

Visit site
I think you will probably need to get it removed and then keep on top of it. If they have bad breath they have bad gums and it will hurt.

This, but the gum soreness and inflammation can start to settle with just keeping the soft plaque at bay, which will make removal of the hard deposits much more comfortable- or even not required at all if you aren’t too worried about how her teeth look. It depends on the extent of the tartar, and whether it is making plaque removal more difficult. I can understand the reticence in putting a 10.5yr old Rott under GA, hence worth trying a more conservative approach?

(I’m a human dental hygienist)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Someone near us has an ultrasonic dog tooth cleaning business. Plenty of before and after photos and the dogs seem to mind less than you would think.

catembi

Visit site
Wow, Red, I had no idea that something like that existed! I will investigate.

Thank you for all the suggestions - I will be following them up.

Interesting re gum disease - they bled quite a lot the first time I did them and less on subsequent brushings.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Wow, Red, I had no idea that something like that existed! I will investigate.

Thank you for all the suggestions - I will be following them up.

Interesting re gum disease - they bled quite a lot the first time I did them and less on subsequent brushings.

It’s a good sign that they’re bleeding less the more often you do it. If you find an area that does still bleed- brush that area more thoroughly, as it indicates an area where inflammation is still present, which means there’s been more plaque collecting there. The more you clean these areas, the less plaque will be there to cause the inflammation, bleeding and soreness.
Sounds like you’re doing a grand job ? you may find she tolerates a cheap electric brush quite well- that will make your job a lot easier. With a manual brush, you have to get the brush into the right area, and then move it in the right way to remove plaque. With an electric brush you just have to get it into the right place and it will do the rest for you ?

EllieBeast

Visit site
I have to say I agree with Druid, knowing how humans (who understand the process and what’s going on) who have active gum disease can struggle to cope with treatment without Local anaesthesia, I really don’t think I’d want to put my dog through it.
I spent 3 years training to degree level to treat humans, (plus I now have 12 years experience in practice) and I’d be very wary about approaching even my own dog with scalers- manual or ultrasonic. My dogs are incredibly good natured and I trust my own skill but one false move for either party could be catastrophic.

catembi

Visit site
Okay, so I have read the statement. Roxy is very uncooperative even with having gel applied/teeth brushed by us, so I cannot think that she would let anyone else do much to her. Nor do I think that a GA would be a good idea at her age. I have ordered the PlaqueOff & will carry on with the brushing. I don't think she likes carrots but will try one & see if she will eat it. A previous Rottie, Max, would go mad for a carrot...!

EllieBeast

Visit site
Okay, so I have read the statement. Roxy is very uncooperative even with having gel applied/teeth brushed by us, so I cannot think that she would let anyone else do much to her. Nor do I think that a GA would be a good idea at her age. I have ordered the PlaqueOff & will carry on with the brushing. I don't think she likes carrots but will try one & see if she will eat it. A previous Rottie, Max, would go mad for a carrot...!

Maybe try raw broccoli ? will do the same job and mine love it!

[139672]

Visit site
I own an emmipet toothbrush. It doesn’t emit any sound and doesn’t vibrate, unlike the human ultrasonic toothbrushes. You just hold the toothbrush on their teeth and the gums for a couple of minutes and then move the brush and do another few minutes. They work best with the orozyme gel used a few days before. My dog is not tolerant of trimming, grooming, teeth brushed but he’s learnt to tolerate it https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-dental-...c-11_832/orozyme-oral-hygiene-gel-70g-p-46078
I bought some from this company, 3 tubes, worked out cheaper than Amazon. You just wipe it on to their teeth and gums a few times a week. You can also apply some on top of their paw and they lick it off. My dog likes the taste of it, tastes of malt apparently. I wouldn’t use it more than twice a week, brush them on the other days.
The gel and emmipet and then picking it off using my nail has got rid of tartar but it takes a little while and may take time for the dog to accept it
Raw carrots are a great dental chew for dogs ?. One every day.
if I were you I’d try the orozyme gel for a few days and raw carrot. You could even put some gel on the carrot for a few days. The gel is sticky and sticks to their teeth, breaks down the bacteria and freshens their breath. It really softens hard, thick tartar ?
As above raw broccoli is also great as a healthy chew, and both cheaper and much healthier than dental sticks ?

Clodagh

Visit site
I own an emmipet toothbrush. It doesn’t emit any sound and doesn’t vibrate, unlike the human ultrasonic toothbrushes. You just hold the toothbrush on their teeth and the gums for a couple of minutes and then move the brush and do another few minutes. They work best with the orozyme gel used a few days before. My dog is not tolerant of trimming, grooming, teeth brushed but he’s learnt to tolerate it https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-dental-...c-11_832/orozyme-oral-hygiene-gel-70g-p-46078
I bought some from this company, 3 tubes, worked out cheaper than Amazon. You just wipe it on to their teeth and gums a few times a week. You can also apply some on top of their paw and they lick it off. My dog likes the taste of it, tastes of malt apparently. I wouldn’t use it more than twice a week, brush them on the other days.
The gel and emmipet and then picking it off using my nail has got rid of tartar but it takes a little while and may take time for the dog to accept it
Raw carrots are a great dental chew for dogs ?. One every day.
if I were you I’d try the orozyme gel for a few days and raw carrot. You could even put some gel on the carrot for a few days. The gel is sticky and sticks to their teeth, breaks down the bacteria and freshens their breath. It really softens hard, thick tartar ?
As above raw broccoli is also great as a healthy chew, and both cheaper and much healthier than dental sticks ?
I was trying to remember that name! I used the gel for a few days and then gave them a bone to chew, it worked really well. Only one of mine is prone to dirty teeth.

scats

Visit site
I do ultrasonic teeth cleaning and have good results. Before I get thrown under a bus, I assess dogs thoroughly beforehand and if I feel there is any form of gum disease, I send them to a vet.
It doesn’t involve any tools other than a brush that is held against the teeth. There is no movement, vibration or noise. I then wipe away what comes away with a towel. I am covered by my insurance for it, fwiw.

It does work exceptionally well for staining and plaque build up and has saved several old dogs from going under GA.

Visit site
My spaniel had the most terrible teeth due to excess tartar that caused really awful gum disease (came like that as a rescue) I think a descaling under anaesthetic is the only real choice if several teeth are involved. Meg had more done last year at age 10, she only has five teeth left now.