what to do...? Old pony still ill :0(

oliviacharley

Visit site
My old pony is still ill - some of you may remember last week I called out the vet because my old mare of 18 yrs was flat out, weezy and lame....
the vet believed at first she had colic but believed in fact she may have bronchitus and a virus, possibly splint in her hind leg which was causing the heat and swelling...so was given anti-botics and bute....
I came to the end of my anti-botics yesterday and she doesnt seem to be any better - she has been grazing and eating her feed but she is still weezy, alot of mucus with some blood in it and leg is still soar, swollen and heated....
im due to see how she is today but im not sure the outcome is good....:0( The vet said at the time this is all we can do and see how she goes....
frown.gif

has anyone had a simular experience and their pony has pulled through etc...?

moneypit1

Visit site
Just logged on briefly and saw this. so sorry for you Heringbone, can't offer much advice or help really but just wanted to say that I am thinking of you and hoping all turns out well. She might pick up, sometimes i have found that the anti-biotics finish too soon and they just need a bit of a longer course. I do hope this is the case. xxx

hairymolly

Visit site
The vet told me 8 months ago that my old pony prob wouldnt last three months, well she has spent the last week enjoying spring fever cantering round the vet throwing her head about. She has really picked up and is looking fab. Different type of ilness but ponies are tough and full of surprises.

oliviacharley

Visit site
thanks everyone - you'll all so kind on here :0)
The vet saw her - god knows how much this is going to all cost!!
Basically she has severe athritius in her back legs and hips and looks soar in both legs with heat and she has a bronchitius infection which the vet has given me powders to put into her feed....I been given a week to see how she goes as the vet mentioned she is on a downward slope really and if she does not improve significantly then maybe it would be worth re-thinking what I have to do.....as her life will not be very good quality...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your poorly girl. Have you tried magnet boots for the arthritis? We were on the point of pts with our 24 yr old mare when as a last resort we got some magnet boots After wearing them 12 hrs overnight and going out for 12 hrs she trotted in the first day, when she had been 'hopping lame' on all four legs. They made a huge difference for the three more months that we had her until she then had a stroke - not related to magnets or arthritis as far as I know.