What to do re rabbit?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Long story - background..
Six years ago we took a dog and a bunny for a family going into a domestic abuse refuge. It was meant to be a foster, but they never took them back. I think they knew the animals were safe, and they had bigger fish to fry. We got the bunny a companion, and they lived happily in a lovely set up for years. Unfortunately two years ago he got a head wobble and a kidney stone. We spent a small fortune on him and got him better, but six months later he got sick again and the vet advised pts. We got the female bunny another companion, and after all the palaver of neutering and bonding they adored each other. Unfortunately he went lame, and on x raying him it was found that he’d broken and dislocated his hip (absolutely no idea how, he was in a stable full of straw, but a rat had gone in, so possibly he took fright?). Anyway he had to be pts too. We took on a third male bunny. Bonding them was tough as he was a little thug, but she eventually put him in his place! Things were fine all summer, then last week we found him a little slow and not eating. Another vets visit and tests showed gut statis, quite bad, that would require hospitalisation and had a low chance of recovery, so again we opted for pts.

So yet again we are left with our sole female bunny, who is now seven years old. She loved her first companion, adored her second companion and was fine with her third, but didn’t spend much time with him. He slept upstairs, she slept downstairs unless they were cold! Now he’s gone, she seems fine after the first day. Still eating well, bouncing around her outside enclosure etc. We put her a heat pad in at night, and extra straw.

My question is, do we try again? We don’t really want more rabbits after her, and money is very tight at the moment until we get our house sold. Plus I’m sad about putting her through the hassle of bonding again, or the stress of possibly losing another. The vet thought to leave her solo if she copes well alone, which she does, as she’s getting old, but she could also live a good few years, and it might be a sad existence. I’m keeping an eye out for anyone looking for a companion for an elderly male rabbit, but it would have to be a five star home.

What would you do?

(Thanks for listening!)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I honestly would just leave her on her own now or re home with a suitable companion.

I inherited 2 guinea pigs years ago 1 died after a year and I kept Bob on his own as he seemed happier on his own the other one pushed him around a bit, he used to live indoors and he sat on the sofa with us and lived for 6 years like that so I think he was happy he was 8 when he died.

He really wasn't like a guinea pig was more like a dog he used to sleep with winnie in her bed when she was a puppy.

Clodagh

Visit site
Thank you.

She doesn’t like humans though. Acts like we’re going to murder her every day when we go to feed her!
Oh well, sometimes within our very best efforts they have to deal with situations that are possibly not 100% ideal. If she seems content alone then I’d give her lovely rabbit enhancing stuff and leave her be 😊

Widgeon

Visit site
We have a similar situation with a Trigger's Broom of bonded rabbits (there have been two bunnies for the past ten years, haha) - because we always adopt they are of uncertain age when they arrive so we typically have any given one for a few years.

When we next get left with a single one I'm considering fostering a long-term rescue rabbit from a local sanctuary as company. Then when we lose the last one the foster can go back to the sanctuary. That's the plan anyway....although it does rather depend which of our current two is last man standing. Once is very docile and amenable, the other is anxious and violent when provoked! So we'll see how it works out.

I adore my rabbits but they are sensitive little things and not cheap to keep - I'm planning to stick with larger and easier mammals for a while.

scats

Visit site
Not a rabbit but I have a guinea pig who is one of life’s victims and is bullied by other pigs. He came to me to be a companion to my other pig after he had been bullied by the previous owners other pig, but then my pig started attacking him so I had to separate them.

When my other piggie died, I decided to try Phin on his own and he has lived happily this way for the last 12 months. He has plenty of cuddles from me and his best mate is my cat, who is also a bit of a loner.
They spend a lot of the time sleeping next to each other in his cage (open top so cat just jumps in)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was in the same situ, since my daughter was small we had bought rabbit after rabbit to keep the remaining one company.
The last one I decided I really wanted to stop
So just made an effort to spend time and let my dogs spend time in with him.
He died unexpectedly not all that long after his friend which was sad but a relief really.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Shame I can’t put her in with our horse! His companion that we have on loan is struggling with our grass and had lami in October, so I said he has to go home in spring, so I’ll need a new friend for the horse (who also seemed to manage on his own fine for a month when my mare was pts.

But meanwhile Mrs bunny seems to be fine on her own so far, happily bobbling about.

Griffin

Visit site
If you could have her as a house rabbit with a quiet base, she may become more friendly.

Whereabouts are you? If you're East Midlands, I may know of a rescue that could help.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
No I’m NorthWest, but I’d take her to the East Midlands if need be. Most rescues are absolutely over full. But if any hear of someone looking for an elderly, but healthy female…

I’d love her in the house, but she seems to adore outside. Sometimes our bunnies go into a stable if it’s a particularly bad winter or I need to split them up while a neuter takes effect etc, and she is so happy when they go back to the bunny residence with the outdoor run. Plus we’ve two dogs and two cats, and are moving house over the next few months.

dottylottie

Visit site
if she’s content i’d probably leave her on her own. i had the same situation with one of my guinea pigs, and she honestly seemed happier on her own. when i was left with 1 rat i rehomed him, because he didn’t like human interaction whatsoever so struggled without a pal!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
She’s been fine on her own both times her previous companions died, but she’s also been intrigued and happy when we’ve brought in another companion and put it in an alongside run. But last time it took a long time to bond her. (She even ripped his ear at one point!)

Anyway, she’s probably going to have to get through winter on her own even if we decide to get another. I’ll see how things are in spring.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I would just keep alone , or get a foster from a charity .
I have never had a rabbit my friend did they are very hard work to do right .
Yes they are and that's why it's so sad when people buy them for kids and leave one single rabbit sat in a tiny hutch at the bottom of the garden for years on end.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Soooo…. A little update. While she seemed perfectly happy on her own, that really cold spell worried me that she was on her own (I actually brought her in to an unheated room in the house when it went below -6) and I noticed she was getting knots in her beard! So I contacted a rescue and they had another older bunny who had just lost his partner too. From the minute I put them in adjacent pens (bottom right pic) they were always together. They bonded very quickly and now spend all their time (very cutely) practically joined at the hip. So I’m pleased I gave these two OAPs another shot at companionship. The rescue says if anything happens to her I can return him. Thought you’d like to see!

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    677.1 KB · Views: 88

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Soooo…. A little update. While she seemed perfectly happy on her own, that really cold spell worried me that she was on her own (I actually brought her in to an unheated room in the house when it went below -6) and I noticed she was getting knots in her beard! So I contacted a rescue and they had another older bunny who had just lost his partner too. From the minute I put them in adjacent pens (bottom right pic) they were always together. They bonded very quickly and now spend all their time (very cutely) practically joined at the hip. So I’m pleased I gave these two OAPs another shot at companionship. The rescue says if anything happens to her I can return him. Thought you’d like to see!

Isn't that just beautiful!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That's brilliant!
It just shows that, like people, pets/animals get on differently with different personalities.