What to do when horse fixated on something?

Sven

Visit site
I am still daily fighting with my nerves and lack of confidence. One thing my horse does, is see something and become completely rigid and fixated on it. I am at a loss as to how to get his attention back and usually get off and walk with him for a bit. Any tips?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Turn head away and circle if possible anything to move his feet... sideways is usually easier than forwards but any direction is good lateral flexing of neck can also help...

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
It will happen. Dont try to stop them, understand it and keep going.

Ernie was fixated by a giant inflatable Santa once. Well obviously, who wouldn't. I can't stop him staring at the exciting thing but I can take a deep breath, pat him, tell him it's ok, and keep going past it.

The other thing I do is "ride him properly". Pick my reins up to a good contact, have my leg around him, sit up tall and do everything the best I can. Distract myself.

There are other things you can do; leg yield, shoulder in, work on the bend etc to refocus your horse (great for daffodils) but if it's something utterly distracting like a large inflatable, admit you want to stare to and ride on.

twiggy2

Visit site
If the horse is fixated on something 'scary' or they are unsure of, I let them take the time to process it, far better then spinning, jumping or running off.
Remain calm, let the look, calm down and walk on, I have found over (many many) years that horses allowed to do this become much more able to remain calm.
No rider flapping and rushing them on gives them time to think, see its not scary and it builds trust, speak to them give them a stroke and whehey 'come back to you' ask them to walk on.

Sven

Visit site
Thanks all he is so fixated he won't walk on, I've tried which is why I got off to break the spell. However I was en route somewhere so perhaps didn't give him enough time to process. Will be more patient with him, but it's hard when nerves are jangling 😏

alibali

Visit site
As Twiggy if it's genuine fear/uncertainty on the horses part I sit quietly and give them time to process things. Once I feel them start to relax ask forward gently with legs if that results in them tensing up again I just go quiet again. Often after a little more thought my horse will then walk on quietly passed the object without even rushing. My horse is an Arab so naturally hot blooded and sensitive I've had him since a weanling. This method works well for him, he rarely spooks and never shies violently I think if I'd pushed him past things he would react much more. These days he rarely stops to look at anything, I can think of once in the last 6 months when he was younger it was more frequent. Like any horse he still has the odd fresh/silly day when he acts the goat, then I do get after him, trick is the know the difference!

As regards your confidence issues try not to let them get you down, everyone suffers from time to time. Thinking logically your horse has seen a frightening object and reacted to it by freezing, it has not spun, leapt sideways or run away. Great start! You and horse still in one piece and together. Unless another factor is added into the mix (such as you pushing on hard or another object/noise causing more fear) your horse is not likely to suddenly explode, it would've done it straight away. So you can relax and sit there, wait and see what happens. The more you relax the more your horse will, it takes effort to maintain high alert and so your horse will relax as soon as it feels able. Then you can gently ask forwards.

For what it's worth there's no shame in getting off and leading past if necessary. I did quite a few times in my horses first ridden year. It was all about getting him out and about and seeing as many scary things as I could find and then dealing with them really quietly and calmly. No need for heroics! I wanted to train a horse that would stop and think about scary things then deal with them rather than react. It made it easier that I'd no hacking buddy so no pressure to hurry. But do always ask the question to walk forwards ridden before you get off or you will never give yourself the chance to progress. It's been at least 6 years since I've had to lead past anything (horse now 12!)

Your horse sounds like a good type if it stops and looks rather than reacts so I'm sure you will get there. Good luck 😁

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
Usually when this happens the horses head goes up so the reins get loose. Drop your hands to keep a contact, and wait a moment till the horse settles a bit.. Then gently pick up the reins put your legs on and ask him to walk forward, or if he wont, in a circle. Keep circling using your inside leg to keep his quarters moving out and keeping him around your inside leg. Then when he softens circle the other way and when you feel he is ready ask him to walk on, keeping the contact.

cauda equina

Visit site
My old Welsh was like this.
Sometimes he'd latch onto something and almost 100% of his brainpower would go into looking at it; there was nothing left over for anything else
I found jabbing him in the neck with my finger worked as well as anything to distract him and get him back 'with me'
Thanks all he is so fixated he won't walk on, I've tried which is why I got off to break the spell. However I was en route somewhere so perhaps didn't give him enough time to process. Will be more patient with him, but it's hard when nerves are jangling 😏

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think the answer to this depends on whether the horse has fixated externally on an object or retreated internally into itself to get away from a situation.

Most of the post above deal with the first one. Post 8 deals with the second. Some horses which retreat inwardly just need a flick with a whip or a poke with a finger to get them back with you, then the other suggestions might work.

I used to be dead against getting off until I had a horse who fixated inwardly. With him, it was the only way I could go out on a hack for the first few months I owned him. To get him out of his fixation, I would have had to beat him or wait him out for a time that made hacking impossible.

So I would say not to worry too much about getting off, for the moment, if it is resolving the issue without a battle. If it isn't reducing over time, though, you need a rethink.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Is best/easiest to prevent it occurring in the first place for some horses. Mine (also welsh) once he's got his neck up solid like that you're on a losing game.
I'm very attuned to his ears so any potential issues he is ridden in shoulder in on a contact. For him the more you let him look the more he convinces himself it is a major issue (and it's usually not, major issues are apparently fine).

He did it at the vets for a work up once because there was a tractor in a field (at a guess), then decided he was terrified of the treatment room which had been fine earlier. Vet asked if he was always like this I said no I wouldn't take him anywhere if he was. Sedating him worked quite well that time :p

scats

Visit site
One of mine does this with strange things in the distance. She hates tractors in neighbouring fields, but has done it at the sight of other horses. She goes rigid and you can feel her heartbeat, then she will start this horrid tense jog, complete with weird squealing noises until eventually the jog is less forward and more on the spot. The only thing that works is to get her working on circles and really, really really work her. But to be honest, while the ‘object’ is still there, it’s virtually impossible to bring her back to her senses. It’s probably her only downside.
Its a hideous feeling when she does it and she does give you that sense that she might explode at any moment. She’s part-bred welsh so I blame that!

paddi22

Visit site
any i've had have fallen into two types with very very scary stuff. One type seems to like when the rider takes complete control and makes them forget it by forcing them to focus on bend and flex etc. I find if I stop and let them see it then nearly work themselves up more. They go better by being flexed, focused on doing a circle a happyish distance away and then gradually circles closer, by leg yielding the circle larger. But i've one other type, thats a very very clever mare, and she needs to stand for a second and process it. She sorts herself out in a few seconds and seems to move on from happily once its clicked in her head its ok.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'll let them look, but I'll also 'talk' to the scarey item.

This morning on the way back, adjacent land owner had left a bonfire going. B Fuzzy got a bit of a knee tremble on, then planted. (She doesn't often plant, more likely to jog or wind up) I called out saying hello Mr bonfire, you are cheerfully burning.... made a right fool of myself if anyone had heard me, but my conversation relaxed B enough, also making me concentrate.... another half minute and we carefully walked past.

Otherwise, like others I'll pop them on a circle, or leg yield if its posing a problem

Sven

Visit site
The latest episode was hacking to a lesson and the scary thing.........was horses being led in from the field to the yard I was hacking to 🙄 It is mostly horse's in fields that give him the hebie jeebies, really scary things are noisy motorbikes (forgiveable as I hate them too) and a pony and trap (he just doesn't understand those at all). But he pretty good really I just wish I was more positive when things happen.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Horses do this when they see something they feel is out of context-so horses being led where he's not seen them being led before and so on. it generally massively decreases the more miles you put on them. They also process what they see on one side differently than on the other-which is why they may spook at the same thing they spooked at earlier (i.e. on the way out and on the way in).

I took on a bomb-proof horse on short term loan the summer I lost my horse. He was 17, ex school horse and done everything and totally reliable hacking-mega farm machinery, windmills, you could open and close gates while half hanging off him etc. We could ride on a private estate and one day we met another horse there-first time in 6 months. He planted solid, I could not get him to move an inch-it was doubly mortifying as the rider said that her very beautiful Iberian, being ridden Western, was only 4-and he passed us in a calm and obedient manner lol.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I’m a bit nervous too out hacking but I echo what others have said about allowing him to look. My normally spook proof Connie has had a few worried moments recently and what I’ve done is just sat and waited while he looks, pat him, reassure him and then gently allow him to walk a bit closer. I don’t allow any movement backwards or sideways but he can stand still for as long as he wants until he decides to move closer. This has worked well- he walked right up to the scary tractor and touched it with his nose. This also works with my hysterical welshie who has to have time to process otherwise he goes into meltdown. I also see no issue with getting off, it will give him confidence to follow you past the scary thing, you can get him to lower his head from the ground and trust your lead. It’s hard work pretending to be brave for the horses sake!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do that when riding anyway, we don't carry on until we've had a reasonably sensible walk past, praise and carry on.

Mum gets off and walks hers as she very much a follower, you just need to be careful they don't rush past whatever it is too quick (she got her calf caught the last time when mare lost her bottle - she's never had much!)

Templebar

Visit site
I have also used treats in the past to bring them back. As long as they haven't stepped back or spun and have just stopped and looked i will let them and then ask to walk on a few times, give them a tap with a stick or prod, if still fixated i use a treat with neck bend to get the attention again and then once we are by without issue they get another. I always think the second one is crucial as i don't want them learning that its good to stop and stare too much and it is very much a last resort thing. I would get off and lead but i would probably find a spot to get back on.

tristar

Visit site
if they make a fuss, i can make a bigger fuss, i get off walk up and down and round the monster, if poss, i then insist they get up to it and touch it, i keep on until they are utterly bored.

TPO

Visit site
The ideal is that you (generic) can always control the feet. It starts with ground work and once that established it can be done from the saddle but also get off and do the groundwork to get the horse switched back on to their person.

Buck Brannanman is a big advocate of this methodology along with Tom & Bill Dorrance, Ray Hunt and Mark Rashid.

Richard Maxwell does a lot of this that translates better to us British! I really like all of his books and he's producing video series covering different issues. I've been to a couple of his demos and took away lots. He recently done a round of demos that was groundwork and is now on round two showing how groundwork translates to ridden work. If he's anywhere near you I highly recommend.

The other thing is that a horse truly in front of the leg can't plant/buck/spin/shy etc. Easier said than done I know! Does your horse give any warning signs? Can you always flex the neck, move the shoulders/ribs/quarters? Are they walking on with purpose and paying attention to you? Again all things that can be achieved by starting with groundwork and no shame (for want of a better word) in getting off to do the groundwork before getting back on.

I don't know of any quick fixes! I've had a planter and (mini) rearer and currently have a super sharp, easily distracted, very reactive one that can spin on a dime. Lots of work going into him on the ground to keep/get him focused, soft and forward. I feel your pain!

OdinsMum

Visit site
One of my boys is a nosey bugger and will look off into the distance frequently, I let him have a quick look and then to get his attention back to the job at hand I do transition work with him, it works brilliantly for us.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Try rubbing the horse in the withers area, directly in front of your saddle, that might just remind them that you are still there!

Used to work a treat for my old boy when he stopped and started gawping at something.

It just seemed to break the pressure of the situation up for him, and distracted him.

As others have said, there's no shame in getting off and walking; but you need to back this up at home and tackle it at source by getting your horse's confidence via groundwork, moving away from your hand in the yard, walking over poles, then progress to ridden work doing the same sort of thing.

If you still are struggling then I'd recommend a professional to help you, as Planting like this, if not checked early enough, can lead on to other undesirables like full-blown napping, etc. But you need a calm and sensitive professional, not one who'd recommend you hit the shate out of your horse for doing this!

Have a look at Michael Peace's website, he has some practical solutions to stuff like this, which may help you.