what to do with a sore paw?

Blue-bear

Visit site
My little JRT caught his back paw when chasing the cat (!) a few days ago. Ive had a good look and it looks as tho he has just caught the claws on his two middle toes. Odd because his nails are actually quite short but i think he slid across the concrete funny.

Anyway it bled quite a bit to start with but stopped quite quickly though it was obviously sore as he was on three legs.
Since then, hes gone through stages of being fine and stages of being on three legs and licking at it, which obviously makes it bleed again.
I wrapped it in vet wrap the day it happened but took it off as it was such a hot day i was a little worried it would be uncomfortable in the heat (strange really when i think about it now!)

So any suggestions? Do i cream and wrap it for a few days? Or leave him be as its really no that bad? I must say he is generally walking fine at home but seems more limpy up the field, i assume because of the rough ground being more difficult to place his foot carefully.

Sorry for waffling!!

Thanks

CAYLA

Visit site
Keep it bathed and clean, and place a sock on it to stop him licking and keep him off concrete, this will start the bleeding up and make it sore, esp if he snapped down to the quick, it will be sore though if it was snapped far down, a little raw for a while, all u can do it keep clean and covered when u cannot watch him, all he is doing is keeping the area moist and u want it to dry, a sock will maybe do for the field too if it's dry outside, maybe buy some chaep kiddies socks for a good fit:D

mattilda

Visit site
I don't know whether this is the same thing but Matty caught her claw chasing after something or other and she had to have it cauterised as it didn't heal properly. Hope you lad isn't as serious though.