What to do with an old decrepit saddle?

somethingorother

Visit site
well i went into the loft the other day, and found an old gp saddle someone gave me years ago. It is rock hard, but maybe a few goings over with saddle soap will soften it up. I'd guestimate about 16" i suppose, black but rubbed where legs sit etc. Could probably use re-flocking, even before the 10 years it's been sat in my loft. I don't think it's any fantastic make... but tbh i didn't look.

Soo what the heck do i do with it? Would anyone buy it, or will i have to pay someone to take it away?

I also feel a bit cheeky trying to sell it when i got it for nothing, but it's sat there doing nothing and i'm a poor student. Even £20 would be good, lol!

So, a how much/little/ where to dump the thing please?!?
Thank ya's!
grin.gif

alison_oliver

Visit site
i bought an old saddle that had been in storage for years, mainly bcoz it fit an arab of the exact build as mine, and me and my saddle fitter were at our wits end! lol! point being one mans rubbish is another mans treasure!!
smile.gif

Enfys

Visit site
This is where mine end up, on the wall of a spare stall, usually with a cat sleeping on them.

DSCF3964.jpg

Have you got a local saddler? Sometimes they will take old saddles and patch them up and reflock if the tree is OK.

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Clean it up, if the leather is of decent quality it should come right and then try and sell it. You may only get the cost of the bottle of Hydrophane you poured into it.

I know some one who makes a bit of extra $ buy buying old saddles at car boot sales/online, cleaning/fixing them up and selling them on. He might only make $20 - $50 per saddle but if you do 2/3 a month...its his hobby (it takes all sorts...).

I'm all for giving leather saddles a second chance, which might be why mine are all at least 25yrs old...=)

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I had one that had been cluttering up my tack room for years, I didn't think it was good enough to sell or pass on, so I took a stanley knife to it and opened it up, out of curosity. Lucky I did, as I could then see how warped the tree was! It worries me that people sell on old saddles at car boot sales etc. without getting them checked by a saddler first.

jumptoit

Visit site
Are there any pony clubs near you that would like it as a demo model, possibly even dismantle it to show kids what's really inside?

rach1984horse

Visit site
Sell it. Someone will buy it.

I'm looking for a wee one at the moment for my welshie, just purely for lungeing/long reining, so not bothered about how old/skanky looking saddle I get as long as it's cheap and the tree is sound. Leather can always be worked on with a bit of elbow grease.

D

Donkeymad

One of twothings:-

1? Donate it to a saddler to strip down and show clients,clients love seing the inside of a saddle and learning about how it is made and put together.

2/ Find the nearest skip and throw it in.