What to do with an old helmet

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I got a new helmet for Christmas. No fall or damage to the old one, it was just too old and didn't fit as well and needed replacing.

Previously I've bought an old beagler and upcycled it into a lamp but I'm not sure an old Navy Charles Owen Pro2 will look as good.

Does anyone have any ideas for a way to reuse or recycle? Has anyone done anything inspirational with their old helmets or have they simply gone in the bin?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have them seen used for birds to nest in .
Yup, I cut straps and then push in the hedge behind stables, sideways on.
Have 3 out of 4 used as nesting places last year and previously :)
If you are going to put in upside down then drill a couple of holes in it to let water out x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I donated my old helmet to the motorcycle riding school. There are different ways to deal with old helmets such as turning into a plant pot or making DIY hacks.
Why? Motorcycle helmets are required to be far more deeper.
A riding hat is not acceptable for use on a motorbike and any place accepting one is nuts!

Trouper

Visit site
Is this the right time of year to do it?

Absolutely the right time - the birds like to get used to a new "structure" before they start to use it for nesting - which hopefully (as she looks out on Narnia this morning!!) won't be long now.
Great idea.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
If you have an outside tap against a wall you could hang it on a nail over the faucet.. Should be well insulated against freezing.