What to do with broodmare, advice please

arwenplusone

Active Member
Joined
25 January 2007
Messages
6,156
Location
York
Hi,

I have a lovely mare who this year has been out on loan and had a beautiful foal about 2 weeks ago. I was rather hoping her loan home would keep her on but this is not to be (only due to circumstances, not the mares fault). I am of the mind to sell her, or loan her again, but she obviously has a foal at foot and can’t be moved until weaning.

So what do others do in this situation ? do I try and loan her from where she is and just stipulate that the new loaner can AI her (through the local vet with the help of current loaner) but they can’t have her until October time? Or same for sale?

Or do I put her in foal myself to a decent sire and then sell her as a mare in foal at weaning?

What do breeders tend to prefer?
I have looked into a stud who are keen to take her but this wouldn’t be TIL next years breeding as they want to do it all themselves. Ideally I would rather she didn’t come back to me in between as I have no grazing or stabling.

Thanks
 

The-Bookworm

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 December 2018
Messages
629
Location
A field
I don't breed so I can only go on a non breeders perspective.

If you plan on loaning out again why don't you just sell with foal at foot or at weaning?

I wouldn't put in foal if you haven't got anywhere for her and current baby.
If I were to loan or buy a broodmare, I wouldn't want them in foal. I would want to choose my stud.
 

arwenplusone

Active Member
Joined
25 January 2007
Messages
6,156
Location
York
Thanks for the reply

The foal belongs to my current loaner so I would be selling an ‘empty’ broodmare in October. I guess I’m just thinking who would want to pay and keep her over the winter if she isn’t already in foal. As a loaner wouldn’t you either want her in foal, or wait til feb, which leaves me with her over the winter anyway, if you see what I mean.

I get you 100% about choosing your own stud tho.
 

arwenplusone

Active Member
Joined
25 January 2007
Messages
6,156
Location
York
I was thinking if I sold her in foal then it’s two for the price of one and the buyer can then put her in foal in the spring to whatever they want, but they also get a foal this season too.
 

equi

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 October 2010
Messages
8,866
Location
Northern Ireland
I think you need to advertise her now as empty and for sale to be collected in October (im assuming she has good breeding etc) with the stipulation she can be bred before sale if requested and give them a choice of stallions. Payment required before she is bred.
 

arwenplusone

Active Member
Joined
25 January 2007
Messages
6,156
Location
York
I think you need to advertise her now as empty and for sale to be collected in October (im assuming she has good breeding etc) with the stipulation she can be bred before sale if requested and give them a choice of stallions. Payment required before she is bred.
Thank you - would most breeders accept/understand this? I’m happy to do it this way if so. Then there is a choice. Current foal (her first) is super and can be seen with her of course so in a way that is better than later on when weaned.
 

equi

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 October 2010
Messages
8,866
Location
Northern Ireland
They either will or won't...you already have one home who only want her empty and next year, but there may be someone out there looking a new broody who they can see progeny of with aim to breed next year but would be quite happy to have her foal next year with their stallion/their choice of stallion. Giving someone the choice of stallion can help a lot cause they feel they are in control so to speak...but you will need to have a good contract in place should the sale fall through etc and you end up with an in foal mare yourself.

A breeder in my circle generally advertises his broods as empty with foal at foot (or at weaning), but can be bred to any of his stallions if wanted but like i say, always gets payment upfront if bred and contract so he doesnt end up with a mare that doesnt leave then someone asking for the foal they requested to be bred.
 

ihatework

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 September 2004
Messages
15,067
Don’t waste money getting her in foal, it won’t guarantee a sale and could quite easily prevent one. It would be cheaper for you to pay for a few months grass livery from weaning until spring than it would be a stud fee & bet package.

No harm in advertising her now, on the condition she moves after weaning and with the option to facilitate getting her in foal now. If she is a desirable Broodmare someone might take you up on it.

If they don’t at least you don’t have 2 mouths to feed next spring
 
Top