What to do with cat on holiday?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We're down to a single cat for the first time ever and I'm looking for your recommendations. In the past we've had a lovely lady come in to feed and play with them twice a day. As it turns out, the cat we have left is much happier on her own in the house than she was when sharing with her brother. But I'm just a little worried about leaving her on her own. But she's 11 now and never been put into a cattery.

Would you

- leave her on her own with the visitor twice a day
- put her into a cattery
- do something I haven't thought of?

She seemed fine for 3 days over Christmas, but I'm planning some longer breaks, 8 days and maybe 11 or 12 days.

All thoughts gratefully received.

ycbm

Visit site
I’d put her in to a battery, unless she’s an indoor cat.

She goes into our tiny garden, but no further. She'll ignore a litter tray to go in the garden and she pops out often just to make sure it's still there.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Ours have never been in a cattery and are indoor cats so I wouldn't want them to be

We had them them stay at home during our honeymoon. It was originally going to be OH friend looking after them but he pulled out. We looked at trusted house sitters but i worry and thought what if we get a dodgy one

So put out a desperate plea on our neighbourhood what's app - only for someone on our close to say he's a registered pet sitter! Gave us details to get references and insurance info.

We didn't have him stay overnight however he had pet cams and was in the same road so would be there if any major issues. We also paid for him to do morning and lunch feeds, then paid for him to sit with them for a few hours in the evenings to keep them company as obviously they're used to company. Could you ask if the lady minds sitting with her for a bit during a visit to chat with her / move a few toys for her etc?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Noo have been satisfied with the set up of being left at home, and a lady visiting twice per day before. So my main worry would be if you need to change to a visitor you haven't used before, ideally, I wouldn't want to leave for over a week with a person I hadn't used before. But like the @Crazy_cat_lady described, I would probably want the visitor to stay a bit longer at at least one of the daily visits, just sit and read a newspaper/book/surf the internet on their mobile phone. If your cat then would want to have a bit more human company some time after the playing, she can go to the visitor, if she doesn't want it, she will still know that she's not alone in the home for x amount of time.

On the other hand, if you left her in a cattery, I assume that if they're any good, the owner/staff knows how to make cats feel comfortable in their cattery. You also have the benefit of them spending more time around/nearby the cats if something happens. But e.g. if Noo really hates travelling even short distances in a cat transport, then that would of course be a big con with the cattery option.

A third option could be an in-home cat sitter. But if Noo was a very friendly cat, who is unhappy without human company for too long, and not too picky about specifically which human it have to be, I assume she wouldn't have been happy with the two visits daily previous arrangements.

littleshetland

Visit site
I was rather hoping this was a post where people recommended activities for the OP to do on holiday with her cat. With pictures.
Thats what I thought too! I wanted to reply 'Take her to the beach..' or 'buy her an ice cream' or some such frivolous comment....
seriously tho, I'd leave her at home and have someone pop in to feed her.

ycbm

Visit site
This has been really helpful, thanks. I'm sure catteries are right for people with different character cats and in different geographical areas but I'm now settled that she should stay in her own home and have Auntie Rachel visit. You've set my mind at rest, I ❤️ this forum.

Ratface

Visit site
Madam Carrie Cat wishes to point out that her staff will never be allowed to spend more than four hours a day away from her. Ever.
Standards must be maintained and rewards given. Beforehand and afterwards. Dreamies. Multiple flavours. Of course, fresh cooked chicken slices would be better . . .